Lying cops

• 37 Replies

frostee

• Official Member
Re: Lying cops
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
A little off-topic, but I don't understand why so many anti-police brutality activists need to use so much venom and hyperbole in everything they do.  I'm not defending this cop here, he was clearly out of line, but this is hardly an issue of someone being "[murdered] in cold blood".  As I mentioned in the police brutality thread, I strongly dislike that YouTube channel in particular.  For one thing, several of its videos aren't police brutality at all, but simply police dealing with criminals as they've been trained.  For another, that guy isn't just anti-police brutality, he is anti-police, anti-law enforcement.  He appears to be an anarchist.

I guess I'm just saying that it's annoying when a perfectly legitimate cause - activism against police brutality - gets hijacked by anti-government lunatics and spiteful criminals shouting "FUCK DA POLICE!"
This. Stupid teenage anarchists piss me off to no end  >:(
Recently religious due to the impending rapture.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
In the UK, lying to the police can lead to being charged with the crime of Obstruction Of Justice. This famously happened in the case of the Yorkshire Ripper some years ago, where someone unconnected with the crimes fed false info to the police which delayed them in catching the real killer. Even in cases where the person is not charged with this, it would count unfavourably against them in court.
But by the same token, the police lying to a suspect could also damage a case for the prosecution. Transcripts of police interviews are admissible evidence in court, and if the defence lawyer was to cross examine the cop by reading a lie from the transcript and then asking the cop "was that true?" and the cop having to admit it wasn't... well, it is not something the prosecution would relish. If big lies were used to wring a confession from the suspect, then the defence can bring in the possibility of confession under duress, leading to an unsafe conviction, which may even result in the judge ordering the confession to be inadmissable evidence.
So the police lying in an interrogation may get the information, but lessen the chances of a successful conviction.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:25 PM »
Well, I did what should have been done a while ago, and looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_v._Cupp

So, yes, they can lie, at least in America. :P

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »
That decision is very unconstitutional. Someone must have gotten rich with that ruling. They had to choose between the establishment and the constitution, and they sold out the constitution.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
That decision is very unconstitutional. Someone must have gotten rich with that ruling. They had to choose between the establishment and the constitution, and they sold out the constitution.

You are dumb and you post dumb things.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
No I'm not. Courts don't have the right to overrule the constitution.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
Listen, I'm a bit rusty on the American constitution. Could you point out where it says that law enforcement can't lie to citizens?
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »

What the fuck?  Shooting someone who throws a knife at you is police brutality now?