Plagerism.

• 85 Replies
Plagerism.
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
I was talking with my Boss on what is considered Plagiarism and apparently turning in the same paper to multiple classes is considered Plagiarism and my college. I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Lorddave

Re: Plagerism.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »
I was talking with my Boss on what is considered Plagiarism and apparently turning in the same paper to multiple classes is considered Plagiarism and my college. I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were.

If you wrote the paper it's yours to give out to whoever you want.

But he's off on plagiarism anyway. It's when you take the written words or ideas of one person and claim ( directly or indirectly) that they are yours.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Self-plagiarism
But do you think that is is unethical to do this for say a paper to two different classes? I understand why it would be unethical if you had sold the rights to the original but...

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
You should release your paper as public domain, then see what they do
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
But do you think that is is unethical to do this for say a paper to two different classes? I understand why it would be unethical if you had sold the rights to the original but...

But he's off on plagiarism anyway. It's when you take the written words or ideas of one person and claim ( directly or indirectly) that they are yours.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Self-plagiarism

Many people would say, yes, that receiving credit for submitting a paper to two different classes is quite unethical.

But what about using knowledge learned from one class to pass another class? Why is that accepted but not reusing written works of your own knowledge?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 03:55:39 AM »
I don't consider that unethical, but it does bring up the problem of what knowledge you retain from the time you wrote the paper first. What if, were you to write a separate paper to the second class, you would fail, but you succeed when you submit the first paper? That would mean that you've passed a class which you aren't qualified to pass. Sounds like cheating to me.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:19 AM »
Self-plagiarism is a nonsensical dilemma. It is not unethical, it is efficient.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »

i c wat u did thar.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
You're receiving two grades for the same paper. In the real world, say a job, I'd call it acceptable since you're not going to be directly benefited by it. But when you turn in a paper multiple times for different grades, then you're not doing the work, which is what the grade is reflecting.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
Grades are meant to reflect comprehension though. If you get two good grades by killing a bird with one rock, I'd say you understand the material and thus deserve the grades. If the topics don't overlap enough, or if the grades aren't ideal, it means additional effort and/or research should have been applied.

Grades are a means to evaluating things like knowledge and proficiency.
Like you implied, school isn't "real world", and grades aren't either. Interpreting them as their own end, changes the moral equation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:18:58 AM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
Like you implied, school isn't real, and really grades aren't either. Interpreting them as their own end, changes the moral equation.

there are not enough people that see it like that sadly. :(
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
Our English teacher subitted the same essay for two exams (Language and Literature) and if it is up to a good standard we can do the same with the two science exams. I see nothing unethical (and certainly nothing plagaristic) about it.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
Its unethical if you a member of a university that has said rules in place.  You agreed to the rules of conduct when you started attending the university.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »
Its unethical if you a member of a university that has said rules in place.
So rules arbitrate ethics, and not the other way around?

You agreed to the rules of conduct when you started attending the university.
Do you contend self-plagiarism is ethical in public high schools?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:57:00 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »

No, he's saying that if you voluntarily agree to a set of rules, it is unethical to break them.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

You agreed to the rules of conduct when you started attending the university.
Do you contend self-plagiarism is ethical in public high schools?
SH is correct.  I was stating that in general if you agree to a set of rules it is unethical to break said rules.

Are you referring to British public schools or state schools? 
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
Grades are meant to reflect comprehension though. If you get two good grades by killing a bird with one rock, I'd say you understand the material and thus deserve the grades. If the topics don't overlap enough, or if the grades aren't ideal, it means additional effort and/or research should have been applied.

Like you implied, school isn't "real world", and grades aren't either. Interpreting them as their own end, changes the moral equation.

You're discounting the selection element of grades. Not only do they serve as a measure of comprehension, but also as a selection mechanism based upon effort. In the sense of this argument, the grades are not seen as an end in themselves, but as a means toward sorting students. Reusing papers demonstrates a lack of effort.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »

You're discounting the selection element of grades. Not only do they serve as a measure of comprehension, but also as a selection mechanism based upon effort. In the sense of this argument, the grades are not seen as an end in themselves, but as a means toward sorting students. Reusing papers demonstrates a lack of effort.
frankly I view doing extra work as a sign of stupidity. we are supposed to be training people to do things efficiently. if you are an engineer and you spend your time reinventing the wheel you won't have a job for long. frankly put you have already put in the effort for the project why do more for an arbitrary reason?

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
There is nothing wrong with submitting your work twice for credit as long as it conforms to the assignment and subject matter. I've actually been encouraged to do this at my university.
The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. -Samuel Johnson

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
There is nothing wrong with submitting your work twice for credit as long as it conforms to the assignment and subject matter. I've actually been encouraged to do this at my university.

this is called a statement, not an argument. other arguments have been made, to which you can respond to.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 12:50:24 PM »

this is called a statement, not an argument. other arguments have been made, to which you can respond to.

If you own it you can distribute it however you want.
The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. -Samuel Johnson

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »

It's not a matter of ownership, but a matter of being awarded credit for an independent project that was not completed.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »

It's not a matter of ownership, but a matter of being awarded credit for an independent project that was not completed.

Did you just pull that definition out of thin air?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
If anything I'm defining the purpose of grading and the nature of this argument. I don't really understand your question.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out where you got your definition of plagiarism from.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
I created a definition of self-plagiarism that makes sense in the context of this discussion...where do you get your definitions from?
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
I created a definition of self-plagiarism

Ok I can create definitions too but that doesn't mean they have any credibility.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 04:19:48 PM »
that's the purpose of a discussion like this, to define things and debate the validity of the definition based upon the argument itself. What confuses you about this? Where do you think definitions come from?
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.