The Snow Game

• 37 Replies
The Snow Game
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:50 AM »
It's going to snow in most parts of Britain over the next 48/72 hours and to prove that Britain is the worst country in the world at coping with the slightest of snowfalls i am proposing a new game/study

If it is snowing in your town or the where you work simply list

1) Location
2) Amount of snow
3) Services affected, ie buses, trains, trams, hospitals, post etc...
4) Panic buying levels. How much bread do the shops have, that sort of thing
5) News coverage. Is the fact it's snowing ,rather than anything related to the snow, headline news and are TV news programmes asking for pictures?
6) School closures or number of staff not turning up for work.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
Re: The Snow Game
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
It's going to snow in most parts of Britain over the next 48/72 hours and to prove that Britain is the worst country in the world at coping with the slightest of snowfalls i am proposing a new game/study

If it is snowing in your town or the where you work simply list

1) Location
2) Amount of snow
5) News coverage. Is the fact it's snowing ,rather than anything related to the snow, headline news and are TV news programmes asking for pictures?

Bah - even in Canada snow causes things to end.
See

Its usually the first major snow fall because some reason people seem to forget how to deal with the snow after summer.

Berny
Has two cats so has meat for at least a week.

To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »
Ouray, CO
About a foot, I'd guess.
Nothing. EDIT: I shouldn't say that. Some businesses close for the winter because there aren't any tourists.
Not panicing.
Nope. Business as usual.
In the past three years, we've only had one school closing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:27:23 PM by Trekky0623 »

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
Glasgow
About 6 inches overall
EVERYTHING. Schools, shops, I couldn't get to town because ALL the trains were off and there was only one bus coming from town. ONE WAY SERVICE ON A COMMUTER BUS. THINK ABOUT IT. No taxis, no gritting, no ploughs, no deliveries from shops. Also, nae post.
Shops ran out of fresh veg (in Scotland)
Everything has been about it, the whole breakfast news is a weather forecast with the occasional report of lollipop people losing their jobs due to the Cuts in Shit city-Upon-Shit river.
All Glasgow schools, all North and South Lanarkshire schools closed on and off for a fortnight. Basically, every school in 15 miles.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
Glasgow
About 6 inches overall
EVERYTHING. Schools, shops, I couldn't get to town because ALL the trains were off and there was only one bus coming from town. ONE WAY SERVICE ON A COMMUTER BUS. THINK ABOUT IT. No taxis, no gritting, no ploughs, no deliveries from shops. Also, nae post.
Shops ran out of fresh veg (in Scotland)
Everything has been about it, the whole breakfast news is a weather forecast with the occasional report of lollipop people losing their jobs due to the Cuts in Shit city-Upon-Shit river.
All Glasgow schools, all North and South Lanarkshire schools closed on and off for a fortnight. Basically, every school in 15 miles.

lol. Pussies.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
1) Helsinki, Finland.
2) About half a metre.
3) None.
4) No panic.
5) No news coverage, other than "this is more snow than usual".
6) No school closures ever for any snow-related reason, and no one's access to work is harmed either.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:45:45 AM »
Pretty much what Blanko said. We don't have snow days in Sweden.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
Well this was like a week or so ago, and it was across like three days but......

1 Buffalo, NY
2 Anywhere from 30-~46 inches
3 The thruway shut down for like 48 hours because all of the cars were stuck, some schools in the south towns
4 Buying level wasn't too bad, because it was kind of unexpected. The old people got out when they could though to buy their pointless shit.
5 Headline news for days because of the thruway thing, god damn thruway authority didn't get shit moving for like 2 days, people were stranded in their cars with nowhere to go, no way to get off. Dumb asses.
6 Oh, like i said, just some closures in the southtowns. The schools in the north here never want to close.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:09:57 AM »
2 Anywhere from 30-~46 inches

Cool ice age, bro.

EDIT: No wait, that isn't so much.

Still a lot though.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:59 AM »
It was a lot so suddenly, god damn great lakes. Then less then a week later, we got like a foot and a half more, plus the second time it came with the wind chill. Annoyance, but kinda fun.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »
46 inches implies a midget would drown in it.

I call bullshit.  >:(

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
GSB Cities    This Season   

Syracuse   66.9   
Rochester   44.6   
Binghamton   28.3   
Buffalo   27.9   
Albany   4.0

http://goldensnowball.blogspot.com/

Thus far, though these are the major cities. It doesn't include the suburbs, where the totals vary greatly.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
That's snowfall, not snow depth.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
Well......I haven't heard any stories of midgets dying due to the snow. Thought there was a guy the other day who burned in his flaming car stuck in a snow bank......but I think he was average height. I'll keep an eye out for them though Blanko.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »
Closure on I-70 yesterday in the Eisenhower tunnel because people don't know how to drive in snow. Had to take Loveland Pass into Keystone to get around it.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »

Syracuse   66.9   
Bullshit is it snowing in Sicily. It's in the middle of the fucking Med.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
1) Ohio
2) Barely 2 inches
3) Your mom
4) Don't generally shop
5) Don't have a TV
6) Still taking finals
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »

Syracuse   66.9   
Bullshit is it snowing in Sicily. It's in the middle of the fucking Med.

Syracuse NY. My apologies, all of those locations are in NY as far as I know.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:58 AM »
1) Location
2) Amount of snow

London
1/2 cm
None as yet, but it's still early
There does seem to be a lack of bread in the stores
The news is loving it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12015145
People are already leaving work early, just in case the tube* stops working.

*this may seem stupid, but yes boys and girls the tube (london UNDERGROUND that's UNDERGROUND) has been known to stop due to snow. And high winds once.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 05:51:33 AM »
London
1/2 cm
None as yet, but it's still early
There does seem to be a lack of bread in the stores
The news is loving it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12015145
People are already leaving work early, just in case the tube* stops working.

I am disappoint.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:17 AM »
The Brits seem terrified of snow Then again, so are the Scanians.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58:03 AM »
Crap things to report on imo.  People should post pics of crude looking snowmen they have constructed.
For example...

Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:36 AM »
Crap things to report on imo.  People should post pics of crude looking snowmen they have constructed.
For example...

Thanks, Calvin.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 07:34:12 AM »
Crap things to report on imo.  People should post pics of crude looking snowmen they have constructed.
For example...

This is both awesome, and something a psychiatrist would want to talk to you about. But mostly awesome.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »
1) Location - Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands, UK

2) Amount of snow ~ 10cm

3) Services affected, ~ Some busses no longer running, others are slow, idiot in an automatic Mercedes got stuck on the hill, chavs and a traffic cop laughed at him, one solitary gritter went past not gritting anything.

4) Panic buying levels. - I'll find out when I go to buy food for tonight but looks ok.

5) News coverage - Radio 4 is currently talking about women's prisons.

6) School closures - No idea.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »

1) Hastings, East Sussex
2) 1cm or less
3) No post, as the Royal Mail love it when it snows as they can use it as excuse for day off. Haven't seen any buses going down my road today, normally there are many. Main roads not gritted AGAIN even though the thin layer of snow we have would be dispersed easily by grit, so because of that many roads are unusable (Hastings is very hilly).
4) Not sure about panic buying as have not been to shops. Given that the public are idiots, probably no bread and no milk - but plenty of potatoes and things in tins and dried food - all the stuff you really need if you're snowed in. That's what happened last week, anyway.
5) News coverage will undoubtedly be trotting out the cliche TRAVEL CHAOS as usual and making out it's the weather causing the problems rather than the council services taking no action against it.
6) My work Christmas Party was cancelled. Fecking disgrace.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:16 AM »
For 1cm or less? Jesus, I couldn't even make a snowball out of that shit. And I thought the mail was never supposed to close? Craziness.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 09:39:11 AM »
1) Helsinki, Finland.
2) About half a metre.
3) None.
4) No panic.
5) No news coverage, other than "this is more snow than usual".
6) No school closures ever for any snow-related reason, and no one's access to work is harmed either.

This is why Britain is utterly crap. The Finns should come and laugh and point at us.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
Given that the public are idiots, probably no bread and no milk - but plenty of potatoes and things in tins and dried food - all the stuff you really need if you're snowed in. That's what happened last week, anyway.

Lol, hadn't noticed that before (Because I've never been involved in panic buying) but you're right.

I'm all right, I've got dried pasta, packs of noodles and two big jars of dried rice so even if, somehow, all of Birmingham was to run out of food I've got some emergency rations.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
Ilkeston, Derbyshire, UK.
About an inch, but fuckloads of ice.
No-one gives a shit as of yet (aside from usual Ilson chuntering, but that happens whatever the weather).
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.