England raising tuition fees to about $15000

• 89 Replies

Trekky0623

• Official Member
England raising tuition fees to about $15000
« on: December 10, 2010, 02:36:28 PM »
Welcome to America, gents. Have fun paying for college.

lulz.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
Re: England raising tuition fees to about $15000
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
Nick Clegg, I am disappoint.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
That's all they have to pay?
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Horatio

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
And if a graduate was only expected to make minimum wage after graduation, then the so-called "protests" might have a point.
How dare you have the audacity to demand my deposition. I've never even heard of you.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
And if a graduate was only expected to make minimum wage after graduation, then the so-called "protests" might have a point.

Yes because everyone that studies earns a lot of money, there are never any dropouts and loaning money is a good thing to do. ::)
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »
I'm 32 and have my degree so shouldn't care, but even I think its retarted.

Scottish students won't pay. Welsh students won't pay. EU students from Greece, Italy, Spain where ever won't pay. The only people paying to use English universities are the English.

So either the English will be hit with tons of debt when they finish, or more likely most won't go. And then they won't be able to compete with European students for any kind of a credible job, so the best jobs go to foreigners who will send their money home and out of the UK. Its the dumbest policy in living memory. We will be the crap-hole of Europe, paying to educate everyone else, whilst shafting only those who live here.

But what else from the 'ME' generation? They screwed their parents, they are screwing their kids. They bought several homes each, so it is now impossible for young people to have their own homes as demand has made it astronomically expensive and then they broke the banks so young people can't borrow and then financed the debt to be repaid by their children too. I just hope that when the generation making these policies retires and hands over to those they screwed, it will be remembered when pensions and heating allowance are decided upon. May obesity and diabetes bring a swift demise to the baby-boomers.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
I'm paying $30,000 for an in-state college. You foreigners can go shove your cheap education up your ass.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
I'm paying $30,000 for an in-state college. You foreigners can go shove your cheap education up your ass.
If Canadians and Mexicans at your university got it free, that would be the same thing.

?

Thork

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »
By the way, is that $30,000 a year? If so, how are you paying for it? Don't tell me an unsecured loan in your name.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
By the way, is that $30,000 a year? If so, how are you paying for it? Don't tell me an unsecured loan in your name.

We get scholorships, get loans, get jobs, or get kind parents.

There is a girl on my floor that took part in an "adult film" for she could get the money to afford tuition. That is dedication for ya.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »

We get scholorships, get loans, get jobs, or get kind parents.

There is a girl on my floor that took part in an "adult film" for she could get the money to afford tuition. That is dedication for ya.
They get jobs that pay $30,000 a year after tax whilst doing a full time degree? Or they borrow $90,000 dollars? Or they prostitute themselves? Well guess what? Students in England don't want to have to do that and why should they? Those in parliament who made this decision had their educations paid for and they were the ones who caused this budget deficit by bailing out banks they failed to legislate against. It wasn't done by those in school. We also have no scholarship system in place when this comes in. If I was a younger person, I would be burning things and smashing windows too.

?

fluffycornsnake

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
The protesters are milking it a bit. You don't pay anything until you're earning over ?21k, so in that sense it won't prohibit anyone from getting a degree.

At least it's not graduate tax: http://factsonfees.com/index.php

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
Trekky's List of Possible Countries to Move to:

Canada
  Norway
  Australia
  Britain 

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
Relevant:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
I'm 32 and have my degree so shouldn't care, but even I think its retarted.

Scottish students won't pay. Welsh students won't pay. EU students from Greece, Italy, Spain where ever won't pay. The only people paying to use English universities are the English.

So either the English will be hit with tons of debt when they finish, or more likely most won't go. And then they won't be able to compete with European students for any kind of a credible job, so the best jobs go to foreigners who will send their money home and out of the UK. Its the dumbest policy in living memory. We will be the crap-hole of Europe, paying to educate everyone else, whilst shafting only those who live here.

But what else from the 'ME' generation? They screwed their parents, they are screwing their kids. They bought several homes each, so it is now impossible for young people to have their own homes as demand has made it astronomically expensive and then they broke the banks so young people can't borrow and then financed the debt to be repaid by their children too. I just hope that when the generation making these policies retires and hands over to those they screwed, it will be remembered when pensions and heating allowance are decided upon. May obesity and diabetes bring a swift demise to the baby-boomers.

Er why won't EU students pay?
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »

Canada
  Norway
  Australia
  Britain 

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »

Canada
  Norway
  Australia
  Britain 

Too right. Damn Aussies trying to censor everything.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

Canada
  Norway
  Australia
  Britain 

Too right. Damn Aussies trying to censor everything.
Also poisonous demon-spiders.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 03:40:02 AM »
"England raising tuition fees to about $15000"

Not really, these fees won't be paid until after you graduate, if you don't earn more than 21k you don't pay it back, if it takes you more than so many years to pay it back then the debt is cancelled.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:28 AM »
Why riot over raised tuition?

Why threaten to kill the prince over it?

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »

You don't have to have debt.

According to the British Government:
Yes you do.

And so now people are angry.
When I was 5 years old my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote down "happy."
They told me I didn't understand the assignment.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 06:53:17 AM »

You don't have to have debt.

According to the British Government:
Yes you do.

And so now people are angry.

Cause they have to get a job while in school?  Wow, that's really sad. 

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 07:58:01 AM »

I'm drained on this issue, I've had too many too long conversations about it so I will simply leave my summary:

-The policy is relatively good.
-Peaceful protests about it are good.
-Loud, angry protests are good.
-Violence is not.

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »

The only students who rioted were the sad simpletons who voted Lib Dem in the general election in may.
RETIRED

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
I'm drained on this issue, I've had too many too long conversations about it so I will simply leave my summary:

-The policy is relatively good.
-Peaceful protests about it are good.
-Loud, angry protests are good.
-Violence is not.

I agree with Chris. There has been talk of bringing in such a policy in Ireland, and frankly I am not against it. As it stands we have 'free' education, but the definition of free is somewhat ridiculous. Since the recent budget came in, tuition fees went up to 2,000 euro a year. However, we do have a grants system for the poorest students.

The problem is that many 'lower-middle class' families do not qualify for the grant, and cannot afford to pay 6 - 8,000 euro in fees up-front, plus the same again in living costs and accomodation (the cost of living in Ireland is very high, even relative to earnings). The system which has been introduced in the U.K. allows students to pay when they earn, rather than pushing the cost of education on to families (as happens here).

I think that a fusion of our grants system (crap as it is) and the UK's new system would a significant improvement over what we have now.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

fluffycornsnake

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
the sad simpletons who voted Lib Dem in the general election in may.

Why yes, because the alternatives were obviously so much better /sarcasm.

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »

Lib-Lab-Con have controlled and ruined the country for 100+ years, its time the sheeple wake up and vote for a change.
RETIRED

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 04:14:09 AM »
Anyone earning over $21,000 a year can frankly afford to pay back the amount they'd have to pay per year. Also, university is optional. You DON'T have to go at all if you don't want to. Some of my best friends from school didn't go and are now earning far in excess of what I will ever earn. Secondly, there is not a time limit to university. You DON'T have to go the moment you leave school. Many of the students I supervise are over 30, some even in their 40's. Universities welcome mature students because they have a much lower dropout rate than school leavers. So if you really think you can't afford it, work for a few years and then go. Most people protesting about this plan haven't really read up on how it works.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »

Lib-Lab-Con have controlled and ruined the country for 100+ years, its time the sheeple wake up and vote for a change.

Such as? Oh God, you're going to say someone like the BNP now, aren't you?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
I protested and I protested loudly. If it was 9 grand a year when I started going, I wouldn't have gone. End of story.

Nick Clegg needs talking to.