Recommending Neo Folk artists and albums for anyone interested.

• 13 Replies
Recommending Neo Folk artists and albums for anyone interested.
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
I've recently gotten seriously into this type of music, and I thought I'd recommend some of the bands and albums I've heard.

Wardruna -- Shamanic Neo Folk band from Norway with an ambient and archaic touch. Heavily focused on the use of old traditional Norse instruments such as keyed fiddles, horns and Norse shamanic drums, as well as chants. Lyrics in Norwegian.

Tenhi -- Neo Folk band from Finland with acoustic guitars, flutes and other traditional instruments, accompanied by a rock drum rhythm. Lyrics in Finnish.

Vali -- Norwegian Neo Folk with acoustic guitars and other traditional instruments. Instrumental.

Nest -- Ambient Neo Folk from Finland with acoustic guitars, kantele, shamanic drums and occasional electric guitars. Lyrics in English.

Neun Welten -- Neo Folk band from Germany. Similar to Tenhi and Vali. Lyrics in German.

October Falls -- Finnish Neo Folk, as well as Black Metal on some albums. Similar to Vali.

And some Neo Folk albums released by Black Metal bands are:

Kveldssanger by Norwegian Folk Black Metal band Ulver. Similar to Vali. Lyrics in Norwegian.

Urminnes Havd (The Forest Sessions) by Swedish Viking Metal band Manegarm. Lyrics in Swedish.

Origin by Norwegian Black Metal band Borknagar. Perfectly blends Neo Folk music with Progressive Rock. Lyrics in English.

Visor om Slutet by Finnish Troll/Folk Metal band Finntroll. Lyrics in Swedish.

Feel free to suggest other bands if you happen to know any good Neo Folk, or other Folk related bands/music.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:33:29 AM by Mugthulhu »

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
Re: Recommending Neo Folk artists and albums for anyone interested.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »
I have only ever heard the album Visor om Slutet and Wardruna's Gap Var Ginnunga out of those you suggested. I will give the others a try and report on my progress.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »
I will listen to these eventually, btw.  So bump
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
Bumpety.

Dråm - Anna Rynefors & Erik Ask-Upmark by Swedish riksspelman duo Dråm

I just discovered this album. Great folk music focusing mainly upon the harp and keyed fiddle (nyckerlharpa), but other traditional folk instruments are present as well, such as the Swedish bagpipe. It does sounds closer to traditional folk music rather than neo folk however, but I think it's a good album none the less.
Here's a download link. The archive password is evrenselmuzik. You may have to type it manually. Copypasta didn't work at least for me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:27:26 AM by Mugthulhu »

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
Listened to Dråm. Shit was quaint and quite wonderful. Anyway, I found out through our bearded friend here about a French folk artist named Luc Arbogast whose four albums, Fjall D'yr Vinur; Domus; Hortus Dei and Aux Portes de Sanada are all very hard to find in full on the internet, but probably around somewhere for the intrepid and industrious if you'd care for a listen. All that I've heard from him is very good. The man is a god on the Bouzoki, and the pimpest counter-tenor I've ever heard. Srsly.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
Listened to Dråm. Shit was quaint and quite wonderful. Anyway, I found out through our bearded friend here about a French folk artist named Luc Arbogast whose four albums, Fjall D'yr Vinur; Domus; Hortus Dei and Aux Portes de Sanada are all very hard to find in full on the internet, but probably around somewhere for the intrepid and industrious if you'd care for a listen. All that I've heard from him is very good. The man is a god on the Bouzoki, and the pimpest counter-tenor I've ever heard. Srsly.
Seriously, this.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:14:12 PM »
Mugsy, I'm listening to Hagall by Wardruna, it's pretty cool!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
It is.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
I had to listen to this after She's pretty cool, too.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »
Bump!
Wardruna released a new album this year. Runaljod - Yggdrasil.
It's great.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
Dyster Svart Mørke by Norwegian black metal band The Black Satans.  Lyrics in English.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
Your funnies are lacking, sadaam.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
They're a neofolk band, and a good one.  Don't be jelly.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
This isn't CN though.