Miracles

• 6 Replies
Miracles
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:07:04 AM »
Do you think miracles occur? I often talk to creationists and it seems like every one of them has had a miracle experience. Of course it's always something which could occur within the bounds of reality as we know it. No one ever talks about how their house turned into gold when they were tight on money.
The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. -Samuel Johnson

Re: Miracles
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:32 AM »
I think miracles do not occur in the real world by definition. If something happens, we can analyze and understand it, and unravel any 'miraculous' properties it may have had (have to add: this sounds cynical and boring, but if something is amazing, the process of understanding it can make it even more amazing if you have the right attitude).

Miracles are for stories.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:14:45 AM »
I think there's a pratchett quote about the process of turning water into wine is unmiraculous when you consider the far greater miracle of turning sunlight into wine by means of growing vines to make the fruit, turning the fruit into juice and letting it ferment. Wish I could find it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »
No one ever talks about how their house turned into gold when they were tight on money.

Lol, why does this sound familiar?

I think miracles do not occur in the real world by definition. If something happens, we can analyze and understand it, and unravel any 'miraculous' properties it may have had (have to add: this sounds cynical and boring, but if something is amazing, the process of understanding it can make it even more amazing if you have the right attitude).

Miracles are for stories.

Agreed.  I find it telling how most famous stories of miracles happened thousands of years ago.

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
"The universe is vast and complicated. And sometimes, impossible things just happen - and we call them miracles."
-The Eleventh Doctor, Doctor Who
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
No one ever talks about how their house turned into gold when they were tight on money.

Lol, why does this sound familiar?

Was it this perchance?
First off they didn't pray for gold fillings it just happened...
So the fillings randomly turned to gold, and you just assumed it was God? Why not the tooth fairy?

because the tooth fairy doesn't exist....I'm sorry to hurt your feelings.
Oh my fucking science, you don't see where this is headed?

I got a feeling but i'm not a jerk.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
I forgot about that. Jesus, I feel faint.

Miracles - Nope, apart from a long lost relative of Heracles, perhaps.