Houston, we might have a problem... (Global Warming)

• 10 Replies
« on: August 26, 2006, 01:10:28 AM »
Everyone has seen "The Day After Tomorrow."  I've also seen "An Inconvenient Truth."  While Al Gore makes a great argument about why global warming could effectively destory our world, he fails to realize exactly how severe the problem could get.

Our problem lies in the Ice Wall.

I realize that this Ice Wall is not made from "normal" fridgerator ice.  The quantum mechanics behind water have been proven to make misterious isotopes, some which hold the power to harbor life.  Even though these isotopes of H2O have brought forth our mighty Ice Wall, I'm afraid global warming could have a very negative effect on us.

The entire world, not just our oceans, is heating up.  While the average temperature now has only risen a couple of degrees over the last decade, it will continue to do so.  And at some point, the Ice Wall will begin to melt.

Here's my two thoughts on this matter.

Either A)

The Ice Wall melts because of a greenhouse effect based on Carbon in the atmosphere.  As the Wall melts, some atmosphere will pour over the top and out of Earth.

If you look at a periodic table (http://www.dayah.com/periodic/Images/periodic%20table.png) you'll notice that Carbon is the lightest out of the three main molecules in our atmosphere, Carbon, Nitrogen, and Oxygen.  Because it's the lightest element, it will naturally have risen to the top of our atmosphere, making Carbon the most likely element to spill over the reduced Ice Wall.  At some point, it will reach equilibrium, saving Earth and reducing global warming.  However, we will need to cut back on Carbon emissions to keep the effect from happening again.

Option B)

The other reason for global warming is that the wobble of the Sun's orbit above Earth is becoming increasingly extreme, making summers hotter and winters colder.  If this is the case, we're pretty much doomed.  Eventually, the wobble will get so close and so far that it will make living unbearable.

What does everyone think?

- The Creator

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 07:18:18 AM »
I think we're boned regardless if the earth is round or flat...
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

Re: Houston, we might have a problem... (Global Warming)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »
Quote from: "The Creator"
The quantum mechanics behind water have been proven to make misterious isotopes, some which hold the power to harbor life.

That sounds... like a lot of bullshit. How can isotopes hold life?

Quote from: "General Dallows"
I think we're boned regardless if the earth is round or flat...

This, however, is pretty much the best awnser on the subject.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »
I'm afraid air quality is a much more pressing matter than the theory of global warming is.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:58:35 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"
I'm afraid air quality is a much more pressing matter than the theory of global warming is.

Reducing our emissions helps either way.
the cake is a lie

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »
"global warming could effectively destory our world"

There is no such a thing as global warming "because of a greenhouse effect based on Carbon in the atmosphere". Otherwise the US, which is a major, if not the biggest, CO2 producer, would have signed the Kyoto protocol. Indeed, the US might support the myth about global warming to slow down the development of its competitors.

"Carbon is the lightest out of the three main molecules in our atmosphere, Carbon, Nitrogen, and Oxygen."

As a component of atmospheric gases, carbon is present mostly in the form of CO2, which is the heaviest gas comparing to nitrogen or oxygen.
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »
Quote from: "Humble_Scientist"

There is no such a thing as global warming "because of a greenhouse effect based on Carbon in the atmosphere". Otherwise the US, which is a major, if not the biggest, CO2 producer, would have signed the Kyoto protocol. Indeed, the US might support the myth about global warming to slow down the development of its competitors.

That's really poor logic, the US signing the Kyoto protocol would actually hurt us economically more than most of the other countries that signed.
the cake is a lie

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:29:30 PM »
Quote from: "Humble_Scientist"

While the US did not sign the Kyoto accord, they have reduced their greenhouse gas emmisions much more than many countries that *have* signed it.

But of course, we all know George W. Bush is a perfectly rational thinker.  :roll:

Quote from: "The Creator"
The quantum mechanics behind water have been proven to make misterious isotopes, some which hold the power to harbor life.

For life you need Amino Acids, which are formed with carbon (most important), oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen under great pressure or electrical shock.

Quote from: "Mephistopheles"

Mephistopheles, I the evidence as I have studied it is significant for me to overcome my initial skepticism towards the matter and I now realize that global warming is not a hoax or a bad theory. Even where I live the weather is getting totally sporadic (it was never like this when my parents were young) and from the temperature estimates of the Earth through the ages, these effects we are seeing are totally outside the Earth's natural temperature-changing pattern and coincides with the last half-century or so, which is also around when world industry was picking up steam (get the pun?).

If we reduce emmisions, not only will we slow flooding, species extinction, and reduce dramatic weather changing, we will also help the problem of air pollution and increase every day air quality and other issues that are tied into this one.

On a Flat Earth, would not the ice wall refreeze because space is so cold?

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 05:53:40 PM »
Exactly how thick is the Ice Wall?  At least the inside part of it would melt.

Also, the part about H2O having mysterious properties that have been able to sustain life is from a Scientific American about three or four months old.  I can't find it, but the issue was on the cover and everything.

Again, this was just a hypothesis, and I'm always open for debating the issue.  I concede defeat on the first hypothesis, as I forgot that carbon dioxide was the most prominent factor in the greenhouse effect.  Twas a stupid mistake, really.

The sun could be spiraling downward though...

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »
Ah, I see where you got the "mysterious properties of water" bit. Water has several special properties, but they are in no way mysterious. The main special property is that water is strongly polar (the molecule is shaped with the one oxygen atom at one end and the two hydrogen atoms at the other end, which makes for a slight unevenness in the molecule's electric charge, known as 'polarity'), which allows what is known as "hydrogen bonding", where water molecules form weak bonds with each other. Water is also one of few substances that is less dense in its solid form, which means that ice floats on top of water, providing protection from the elements for water-dwelling creatures. Additionally, water is slow to change temperature, which allows it to act as a regulator for the Earth's climate and an insulator for organisms. Water also has the unique ability that nearly any substance can dissolve in it, which is why it is known as the 'universal solvent', and making it excellent for transferring various particles inside an organism. These properties aren't mysterious, they are well understood by science (so well understood that they are taught in highschool chemistry classes), but they do make water special.
the cake is a lie

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 09:56:53 PM »
Ahrgh. You conspiracy nutcases  :wink:
GLOBAL WARMING DOES NOT EXIST (just like the earth)
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO