Communism....

• 34 Replies
Re: Communism....
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 07:29:27 AM »
bill gates would be no more wealthy than you or i in a communist country.  which is why communism is not good.  why would someone spend 10 years becoming a doctor when they could just get a job at walmart stocking shelves and make the same money?  money is a great motivator, if you take that away then people aren't going to try as hard. 

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:55 AM »
I can't stand this kind of argument. It's certainly true that you worked very hard for the qualifications (let's assume you're telling the truth about being an accomplished neurosurgeon and also a famous oncological researcher for the sake of argument) but your daily life is a hell of a lot easier than that of a window cleaner, not including the vast pay and lifestyle differences. That window cleaner spends all day out in the pissing rain serving people who don't respect him, and runs a higher risk of injury in doing so than you would if you did your job in Afghanistan.

You're also assuming that the only reason this guy didn't become a neurosugeon was pure laziness, that it would've been perfectly possible for him to afford the soaring university costs had he pulled his finger out, that he went to as good a school as you and that his home life was as stable as yours. For all you know that guy could've been cleaning windows since he was twelve because his dad fucked off and his mum couldn't get a job, so he just didn't have the time to put in those long hours of study.

These differences are precisely the differences of class that communism would hope to abolish, so that the people who wanted to be neurosurgeons and were willing to put the effort in would be able to do so, and that that were not, would not.

lol@startrek

I know i know...low content post...it still made me chuckle.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:57:14 AM by WardoggKC130FE »

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
bill gates would be no more wealthy than you or i in a communist country.  which is why communism is not good.  why would someone spend 10 years becoming a doctor when they could just get a job at walmart stocking shelves and make the same money?  money is a great motivator, if you take that away then people aren't going to try as hard. 
Although I will agree that money is a great motivator I must disagree that people would not still work to be doctors and such. I think you are underestimating both the motivation due to pride and the fact believe it or not many people like the idea of being a doctor and helping people. I know in my case I doubt that I would change anything. I would still go to school to be a physicist.
One last thing, would you believe in a government that gave every child the same amount of money so that they all started out in the same spot? So Bill gates children would have the same chance of being a doctor as say a homeless persons child?
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
Although I will agree that money is a great motivator I must disagree that people would not still work to be doctors and such. I think you are underestimating both the motivation due to pride and the fact believe it or not many people like the idea of being a doctor and helping people. I know in my case I doubt that I would change anything. I would still go to school to be a physicist.
One last thing, would you believe in a government that gave every child the same amount of money so that they all started out in the same spot? So Bill gates children would have the same chance of being a doctor as say a homeless persons child?
i didn't mean nobody would become a doctor, or a physicist like you.  i just meant there would be less people willing to go through all that schooling when its not going to pay off. and i would not be for a gov't giving all children the same amount of money so that they start off on and even playing field.  i'm not big on the gov't just handing out money to people no matter what though. 

Why does a critique of capitalism make you revert to a criticism of the polar opposite? The world is a gray continuum, not black and white, so why do you address it as such?
i didn't say anything about capitalism, i'm only responding to other posts that were about communism.  capitalism isn't a perfect system either, but to me it is a far better system than communism.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »
i didn't say anything about capitalism, i'm only responding to other posts that were about communism.  capitalism isn't a perfect system either, but to me it is a far better system than communism.

Whoops, I misquoted. My apologies, it was my intention to critique JamesJamie.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.