Ethics - I'm Stuck in Limbo

• 31 Replies

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Ethics - I'm Stuck in Limbo
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 10:29:26 AM »
Earlier this month I personally attended a public lecture by professor Alasdair MacIntyre in London, on Censorship and Intolerance. He mentioned our organisation (the Flat Earth Society) by name, and commended our creativity, but concluded that we ought to be banned from preaching our message in schools and academic settings.

At this juncture, my prior respect for his theories dwindled irrevocably.

I am not sure how far you've got with After Virtue yet, but I found MacIntyre's indictment of the ground-up, decontextualised approach to moral and other theorising ellucidating. It is a conceit shared as much by Newton and Copernicus as by Mill and Kant. We must have a theory of history if we are to proceed with Moral and Natural enquiry.

Once you've finished, I recommend the essay collection Against the Self-Images of the Age. Though it precedes After Virtue, it expands his criticism of Humean moral psychology in places, and in a way which I found very damning of those theories. Hume's dangerous legacy on the field of human psychology is a more seditious beast than most philosophers would care to admit.

At the lecture I mentioned, MacIntyre also cited Hume's Treatise as an example of a book whose access should potentially be heavily restricted. I could not agree more, as I find the book detestible.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
Re: Ethics - I'm Stuck in Limbo
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »
People have often taken issue with Hume's Treatise of Human Nature, but I cannot agree with the notion that access to it should be restricted. The Treatise is a thought-provoking examination of the assumptions we make, and if anything it would be better if more people read it.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord