Any bets?

• 82 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Any bets?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »
Very funny.  The only jobs that white Americans simply "won't take" on principle are jobs where the boss exploits the workers by paying them a illegal rate.
That's a bold claim. Not only are you generalizing all white Americans, you're also deviating strongly from reality. A great example is a fast food job. I'm sure that you have heard people say that they'd "never work a fast food job". Shit, maybe you've even said it yourself. White people tend away from these jobs because they feel it is "below them", while minorities, often those of Mexican descent, end up working these jobs instead. These jobs pay legal wages, but are viewed as "unworthy" by many white Americans.

Srsly? You've been making "bold claims" and generalizing all white Americans and immigrants in most of your posts in this thread (including the fucking post I'm quoting).  Plus you've only used anecdotes to back up your claims.  Why are you continuing with this bs?  I am a white American and I worked at McDonald's for two years when I was a teenager.  There are lots of white people working in all the fast food places around here, and all the other low wage employers such as Walmart.  But, this thread isn't about minorities and where they work, it's about illegal immigrants. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »
Really? What do they live off? ???
Parents, friends, debt, crime, etc. It's quite easy to survive without a job.

You won't live your whole life of your parents and friends, so white people are more into crime?
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
Srsly? You've been making "bold claims" and generalizing all white Americans and immigrants in most of your posts in this thread (including the fucking post I'm quoting).  Plus you've only used anecdotes to back up your claims.  Why are you continuing with this bs?
Please try and argue respectfully and without resorting to vulgarities.

Really? What do they live off? ???
Parents, friends, debt, crime, etc. It's quite easy to survive without a job.

You won't live your whole life of your parents and friends, so white people are more into crime?
I never claimed that.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
Srsly? You've been making "bold claims" and generalizing all white Americans and immigrants in most of your posts in this thread (including the fucking post I'm quoting).  Plus you've only used anecdotes to back up your claims.  Why are you continuing with this bs?
Please try and argue respectfully and without resorting to vulgarities.

She has a valid point.  You keep making ethnic and cultural generalizations based on nothing but personal experience, and then you criticize anyone else when they do the same.  I believe that anecdotes are worthless in the context of a debate like this because they can be used to support any position.  I know hard-working Hispanics and lazy Hispanics.  And I know hard-working whites and lazy whites.  If you think that a higher ratio of Hispanics working shitty jobs than whites means that Hispanics are inherently better workers, then maybe I think that the higher crime rate of Hispanics means that they are inherently more savage and uncivilized than whites.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »
She has a valid point.  You keep making ethnic and cultural generalizations based on nothing but personal experience, and then you criticize anyone else when they do the same.  I believe that anecdotes are worthless in the context of a debate like this because they can be used to support any position.  I know hard-working Hispanics and lazy Hispanics.  And I know hard-working whites and lazy whites.  If you think that a higher ratio of Hispanics working shitty jobs than whites means that Hispanics are inherently better workers, then maybe I think that the higher crime rate of Hispanics means that they are inherently more savage and uncivilized than whites.
This thread is about the children of illegal immigrant workers, not about comparing races. Please stay on topic.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
This thread is about the children of illegal immigrant workers, not about comparing races. Please stay on topic.

We stopped talking about that at the start of the second page.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »

We stopped talking about that at the start of the second page.
When you went off-topic is irrelevant to the fact you went off-topic.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
You're the one who made it about comparing races, every time you claim Mexicans are "better workers". 

I see that you really don't have a point, and are just fucking around.  I was hoping you could defend your opinion with a decent argument.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
Very funny.  The only jobs that white Americans simply "won't take" on principle are jobs where the boss exploits the workers by paying them a illegal rate.
That's a bold claim. Not only are you generalizing all white Americans, you're also deviating strongly from reality. A great example is a fast food job. I'm sure that you have heard people say that they'd "never work a fast food job". Shit, maybe you've even said it yourself. White people tend away from these jobs because they feel it is "below them", while minorities, often those of Mexican descent, end up working these jobs instead. These jobs pay legal wages, but are viewed as "unworthy" by many white Americans.

The people who say those kinds of things usually already have jobs themselves.  I have yet to meet an unemployed career snob, with the exception of out-of-work professionals.  If an unskilled American is looking for work urgently, I don't think they're going to just turn their nose up at fast food work if the alternative is to sit at home and starve.

As for the examples you're talking about, don't the people in charge of distributing unemployment benefits check to see if there are available jobs?

Out of work professionals, wow. This is the height of arrogance. A white person refusing to get a job is just too 'professional' to work in fast food. Better leave it to those Mexicans!

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »
Very funny.  The only jobs that white Americans simply "won't take" on principle are jobs where the boss exploits the workers by paying them a illegal rate.

The people who say those kinds of things usually already have jobs themselves.  I have yet to meet an unemployed career snob, with the exception of out-of-work professionals.  If an unskilled American is looking for work urgently, I don't think they're going to just turn their nose up at fast food work if the alternative is to sit at home and starve.

As for the examples you're talking about, don't the people in charge of distributing unemployment benefits check to see if there are available jobs?

Out of work professionals, wow. This is the height of arrogance. A white person refusing to get a job is just too 'professional' to work in fast food. Better leave it to those Mexicans!

Because of the payment scale as a professional you can't always work in lower scaled jobs.

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 07:55:09 AM »
What does that mean?

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:19 AM »
Because of the payment scale as a professional you can't always work in lower scaled jobs.
What does that mean?

Because it would mean they would have to exist on a lower standard of living they are used to.

Berny
Went almost as low as one can go.
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
We need to end unemployment NOW.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
What does that mean?

Because it would mean they would have to exist on a lower standard of living they are used to.

Berny
Went almost as low as one can go.

No, we have rules that with certain degrees and/or ages you are in a higher payment scale. That's why people get fired from supermarkets when they turn around 20~ and why PhD's will never work in McDonalds (unless they lie about their education.)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
What country to you live in?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
Netherlands

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »
Wow, that seems kinda restrictive.  What if someone isn't cut out for the job they went to school for?

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
Wow, that seems kinda restrictive.  What if someone isn't cut out for the job they went to school for?

Massive Ditto.

Berny
What if you just want the job to putter around with?
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »

There's a difference with doing a job that's not what you studied for and a job that's below your education level. A university schooled person would have to get a manager position in McDonalds at least. You aren't forbidden to work in different fields.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »

There's a difference with doing a job that's not what you studied for and a job that's below your education level. A university schooled person would have to get a manager position in McDonalds at least. You aren't forbidden to work in different fields.

But that's exactly the problem.  Why would they have to get a manager position?  What if all they wanted to do was flip burgers?  Don't you think that individual people ought to be in charge of whether or not their qualifications are used wisely, not the government?  There's no harm.  There's no victim.  Who cares?

Also, I don't know if colleges work differently over there or whatever, but I don't really think that a degree in one specific field is usually applicable to many other fields.  Suppose I have a degree in chemistry.  How does that qualify me to work as a manager?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »

But that's exactly the problem.  Why would they have to get a manager position?  What if all they wanted to do was flip burgers?  Don't you think that individual people ought to be in charge of whether or not their qualifications are used wisely, not the government?  There's no harm.  There's no victim.  Who cares?

Also, I don't know if colleges work differently over there or whatever, but I don't really think that a degree in one specific field is usually applicable to many other fields.  Suppose I have a degree in chemistry.  How does that qualify me to work as a manager?

Universal studies include many skills that everyone at that level needs to have, like presenting, meeting, planning, leading groups etc etc.  Depending on where you are a manager, if it's not a too specific task any universal schooled person should be able to do it.

I have to say, I mixed up some stuff. You can get a burger flipping job with a high degree. The thing is, we got a social system from which you get money if you don't have a job, but you have to solicit like 3 times a week(?) or something to keep getting the money. And you are allowed to refuse lower scaled jobs, and still keep the money that you get from the social system.

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »
We need illegal immigrants to work for cheap or else prices on things will increase. They get to come to the US and live a better life. win/win
The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. -Samuel Johnson

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
We need illegal immigrants to work for cheap or else prices on things will increase. They get to come to the US and live a better life. win/win

Are you on full-troll mode today or something?