Any bets?

• 82 Replies

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
Any bets?
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
What are the chances of this getting pushed through?  Its about time we stood up to illegal acts.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/18/3194319/gop-majority-in-house-will-push.html#storylink=fblike

Trekky0623

• Official Member
Re: Any bets?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
This is a complicated issue. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »
I'm from a border state, so I feel too biased to comment on the issue.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:45 AM »

Look solely on the federal money spent on assisting people that are here illegally.  That should shed some light on the subject for you.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
We should just go ahead and kick anyone out of the country that isn't white and Christian.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:50:39 AM »
We should just go ahead and kick anyone out of the country that isn't white and Christian.

Typical liberal response.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »
You are making a mockery of this website.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
With my behavior?  And I suppose it should stop now?  And I am a complete disgrace?

Half a meme isnt really a meme at all is it?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
I think he's saying that this isn't a political site. Cheer up.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »
Agreed but there is a place on this site to discuss other issues besides FET on this site.  If Daniel didn't want this section he could delete it.  These issues need to be discussed.  Them not being discussed is the reason there is a problem.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
Provided that this only applies to those in the country illegally, and isn't retroactive, I don't think I really have a problem with it.  Like the Arizona law, it sounds worse than it really is.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »
Something definitely needs to be done about the illegal immigrants, but I'm not so sure this is the thing.  It's something I have to think about. 

As for it getting pushed through Congress... well if the Republicans are divided on it and the Democrats are against it, then it might not have much of a chance.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »

Look solely on the federal money spent on assisting people that are here illegally.  That should shed some light on the subject for you.

So... make more of them illegal?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Lorddave

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »
What are the chances of this getting pushed through?  Its about time we stood up to illegal acts.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/18/3194319/gop-majority-in-house-will-push.html#storylink=fblike

Or we could deport the parents and let them choose to either
1. Keep the kid and have his citizenship removed.
2. Leave the kid in an orphanage or foster care.

Of course, since the issue stems from Illegal immigrants anyway, you should probably deal with that issue first. 

But let's face it: If you want America to be great, you're going to get everyone wanting to be in it. 
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

Of course, since the issue stems from Illegal immigrants anyway, you should probably deal with that issue first. 

But let's face it: If you want America to be great, you're going to get everyone wanting to be in it. 

Being deported is not grounds to lose parental rights, and a parent does not have the authority to revoke their child's citizenship.  Both of those options are a gross violation of someone's rights.

Lorddave

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

Being deported is not grounds to lose parental rights, and a parent does not have the authority to revoke their child's citizenship.  Both of those options are a gross violation of someone's rights.
1. You can't exactly parent from another country which is why they would be allowed to put the child up for adoption in the states.
2. Actually they can. 
To give you an example:
Let's say me and my GF live in the states for a few years and have a child.  She get's a green card legally and all is well.  We then decide, shortly after the child is born, to move to Norway.  She can retain her Norwegian citizenship so she won't have an issue.  I and my child will have to revoke our US citizenship to become citizens of Norway.
So yes, the parent of a child can have that child's citizenship revoked if required.  The laws of the country they'd be deported to is really the one that dictates of the child has to have it's US citizenship revoked or not as you can be a US citizen and still live in another country according to US laws.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »

Saddam, I'm with you on your first point, but I really don't see your reasoning behind the second.  Do you think that every instance of a parent deciding what's best for his child is a gross violation of the child's rights?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 08:04:50 PM »
Saddam, I'm with you on your first point, but I really don't see your reasoning behind the second.  Do you think that every instance of a parent deciding what's best for his child is a gross violation of the child's rights?

No, not at all.  But I do think that revoking their citizenship is.  Although I suppose what Lorddave says makes sense about the laws of the second country.  I'm probably just assuming that Mexico has the same citizenship rules as the U.S.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »
Being deported is not grounds to lose parental rights[...]
I haven't checked but does it not make a certain sense? If parents are incapable of raising their children should they not receive care care from foster parents or a foster home?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Seriously, though, would this be retroactive?  Because that would be bullshit.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »
I really don't have to many qualms about letting Mexican enter the US. If they are willing to work harder for less pay, I say let them have jobs. Americans need to deal with competition, and raise their game instead of trying to impose laws to isolate themselves.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!*

*Brown people not included.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44:49 PM »
Yeah, it sucks the way every single person involved in forming immigration policy is so racist.  I mean, it's so obvious that every single person who complains about illegal immigration is entirely motivated by racism, and nothing else, right?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
Yeah, it sucks the way every single person involved in forming immigration policy is so racist.  I mean, it's so obvious that every single person who complains about illegal immigration is entirely motivated by racism, and nothing else, right?
I'm not saying that's the only reason. However, from a purely historical perspective, racism and bigotry have fueled past immigration policies more than any other factor. The US immigration acts of 1921 and 1924 are great examples of this. Can you list me one major reason for the current draconian immigration policies besides a fear of brown people?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
I'm not saying that's the only reason. However, from a purely historical perspective, racism and bigotry have fueled past immigration policies more than any other factor. The US immigration acts of 1921 and 1924 are great examples of this. Can you list me one major reason for the current draconian immigration policies besides a fear of brown people?

Draconian?  The US accepts more legal immigrants each year than every other country in the world combined.  You call that draconian?  And I've already explained to you why we can't just open up the borders and allow millions of people to flood in.  It's simply not feasible.  It wouldn't work.  There's a high unemployment rate and a shitty economy as it is.  Adding millions of people to the working class is not going to make things any better.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »

Draconian?  The US accepts more legal immigrants each year than every other country in the world combined.  You call that draconian?  And I've already explained to you why we can't just open up the borders and allow millions of people to flood in.  It's simply not feasible.  It wouldn't work.  There's a high unemployment rate and a shitty economy as it is.  Adding millions of people to the working class is not going to make things any better.
And I've explained to you how if we let more immigrants in, and protected them with laws regarding minimum wage, they would help boost the economy by stimulating spending. This spending would help create more jobs, which allowed more people to be hired, which allows more spending. Also, it would be a great investment opportunity, when the southern US has a surplus of cheap labor that can be hired without fear of social or legal repercussions.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
But we already have thousands of unemployed people here covered by labor laws.  Why aren't they boosting spending or reducing unemployment?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, if they were born on US soil they are a US citizen.

I don't know why anyone would be against having more people in the country. The more US citizens we have, more taxes will be paid to the federal government, and the bigger consumer demand will be to grow business. The entire US economy prospers with additional citizens.

If you don't like competition in the workforce, too bad. This is a capitalist country. I don't see why I should hire Steve over Pedro, when Pedro is willing to work harder for less money. Why should I give my money to a slacker like Steve?

If Pedro works harder for less money.

And if Steve does not.

Then, Steve will not be hired.

I do not see what the issue is with this.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:10:52 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
Something definitely needs to be done about the illegal immigrants, but I'm not so sure this is the thing.

What do you have against immigrants?

Is it just the fact that they're illegal? If the US granted citizenship to all comers after filling out a form would you feel okay about it?

Is it because they're taking jobs, willing to work harder than you for less money?

Or do you just have something against people with a different color of skin?

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 12:31:43 AM »
Something definitely needs to be done about the illegal immigrants, but I'm not so sure this is the thing.

What do you have against immigrants?

Is it just the fact that they're illegal? If the US granted citizenship to all comers after filling out a form would you feel okay about it?

Is it because they're taking jobs, willing to work harder than you for less money?

Or do you just have something against people with a different color of skin?
How about my friend's ex-fiancée, whose family was of Spanish (Spain) descent? Every year they would get W-2's in the mail from jobs they never worked because illegal Mexicans stole their identity, and it was easier since their last name was Spanish. If Steven doesn't work as hard as Pedro, but Pedro is using Steve's next door neighbor's identity, you had better bet your ass I'd hire Steve.