Knowing when you're wrong

• 5 Replies
Knowing when you're wrong
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:20:23 AM »
This idea scares me sometimes; the possibility that I might be wrong about a certain world view or concept that I have which seems to me to be completely valid. In the past I've held views about certain topics and I felt that I had an unshakable position only to find out that I was in fact wrong about it.

So the topic of this thread is to figure out how to know whether we are right about something. There is another problem which arises and that is perception. We might be completely valid in making a judgment about something because our perception of it is a certain way. But if you look at it from a different perspective, you might draw a very different conclusion.
The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. -Samuel Johnson

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Re: Knowing when you're wrong
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:34 AM »
Someone posted this same thread a while back, btw, so lurk moar

At any rate, Aldous Huxley once said/wrote something like, "Reality is what remains when you stop believing."  There are, of course, many things with no objective grounding in reality (morals, for example), but for the most part it doesn't take much more than the scientific method to decide on what is "true" about the world.

I tend to have a rather middle-of-the-road attitude towards morals, if that's what you're getting at, and as such can never be wrong (I say that facetiously, of course).  The ethical/moral world cannot really be seen as black and white, right and wrong.  There are too many shades of gray and chartreuse and fuchsia; something may be acceptable in one context, and totally abhorrent in another.  There's no real way of saying for sure what is right and wrong about what's right and wrong.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
Changing your views on any given issue isn't something you should worry too much about. There are probably many things you will change your mind about as you obtain more knowledge.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
I tend to have a rather middle-of-the-road attitude towards morals, if that's what you're getting at, and as such can never be wrong (I say that facetiously, of course).
I think he is referring to world perspectives that we take for granted or assume to be true without ever actually examining them. The most prevalent philosophical example might be "does the universe exist?" but this question is understandably seen as generally straightforward instead of deceptive.

The problem is that it is hard to find examples of things that you are, by definition, unaware of.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
Knowledge is a continual process and absolute knowledge is a human fantasy. The role of the philosopher is to pose questions, not to answer them.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
Knowledge is a continual process and absolute knowledge is a human fantasy. The role of the philosopher is to pose questions, not to answer them.
I couldn't have said it better.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.