• 148 Replies

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
Here is the difference, the quran is believed by muslims to be the exact word of muhammed.

You don't think many Christians believe the Bible to be the exact word of God?

Most do not, I hope.

While it is true that it is a custom that god inspired those who wrote it, you would have to be rather extreme to say that every word is the word of god.

Either way, the bible is mostly a history book.

As shown by the stoning example, the bible may say to stone people, but christians do not turn that verse into a custom of the religion. The quran tells to stone people and muslims do take that into the custom of their religion.

Maybe I'm am just from a freaky part of the country, but here there are bible literalists that do think every word is the word of God. They justify not stoning people by saying Jesus made the Old Testament Laws not matter. If you point out any places that do not make sense or are contradictory they just reply that the "original" bible is the perfect world of God, but translators are shit and that's why there may be errors.

Well, those people are idiots. I don't think that they represent christianity as a whole or even views typical for a christian.

Maybe the Southwest and Texas is just retarded then. I can accept that. I actually find it interesting that the mormons here (there are lots) tend to be more reasonable than the Christians.

Mormons are christians....

redacted after remembering mormon doctrine. While they do think the christian god was a "god" they think he is one that used to be a man, like everyone else. So they more just acknowledge Christianity.

They strongly feel that they are Christians since they follow the word of Christ (Though ya, most other Christians feel they spread false doctrine and therefore aren't Christian). They believe that if you make it to the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom then you will be on the same level of glory and power of God. Meaning that then, if you so wanted, could go and make your own planet and people. After all, what loving Father wouldn't want his children to succeed him?

Mormons also don't really have a hell. People don't go there unless they were handpicked by God. (Which has been like four people) Everybody goes to heaven, but just to different levels of it.

« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »
Huh? Are you concluding that all anti-abortionists are Christians? Or in the above post, that all Klan members are killing in the name of Christ?

Of for the love of the fucking spaghetti monster wake up you ignorant fuck. Don't you see the fucking similarities? The Muslim extremists do not fucking represent most of modern Islam! Most Muslims are quite happy to spend their days working out how to pay the mortgage and how to put food on their families (sorry, couldn't resist a Bushism)

Fucking Hell, where do you get off generalising Muslims but pulling the old-as-fuck 'No-true-Scotsman' defence for YOUR fucking brand of bronze-age mythology?! Oh wait, I forgot that followers of the One True Faith (TM) were allowed to do that, except of course that ALL faiths think they're the 'One True Faith'

Hey, Fuck you, you fucking fuck.

I did not generalize Muslims. All I stated was that the people in the middle east committing terrorists attacks, are the extremist Islamic people. Hard to comprehend? I didn't generalized the Muslim people at all. Fuck this world where anything anyone says is "OMFG GENERALIZING" Its fucking horrible. GTFO you politically correct faggots.

Is it so hard to comprehend that the ones blowing themselves up are doing it for Allah/Muhammed? That's what their version of Islam teaches. You do this, you get 40 virgins or w/e. I'm also PRETTY FUCKING SURE, that not all the anti-abortionists are extremist Christians. Fuck, they can be any religion for that matter, even no religion at all. I'm against abortion, and I'm agnostic, can you comprehend that?

It doesn't fucking matter at all, when one strongly supports a position, like you fucktards on this board, me defending the opposite position only makes you strongly agree with your side more.

I'd also like to note, Mormonism is the weirdest religion (thats actually regarded as one) ever conceived.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
Everybody goes to heaven, but just to different levels of it.
Interesting. When multiplying the subtle shifts of happiness between levels of heaven across an eternity, people would be cheated out of infinite amounts of pleasure for the most insignificant things.

JamesJamie, watch the language. This could easily merit a temporary ban, but I think a warning will make do.
Do take care to brush up on the rules.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:40:30 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48:36 PM »
Huh? Are you concluding that all anti-abortionists are Christians? Or in the above post, that all Klan members are killing in the name of Christ?

Of for the love of the fucking spaghetti monster wake up you ignorant fuck. Don't you see the fucking similarities? The Muslim extremists do not fucking represent most of modern Islam! Most Muslims are quite happy to spend their days working out how to pay the mortgage and how to put food on their families (sorry, couldn't resist a Bushism)

Fucking Hell, where do you get off generalising Muslims but pulling the old-as-fuck 'No-true-Scotsman' defence for YOUR fucking brand of bronze-age mythology?! Oh wait, I forgot that followers of the One True Faith (TM) were allowed to do that, except of course that ALL faiths think they're the 'One True Faith'

I did not generalize Muslims. All I stated was that the people in the middle east committing terrorists attacks, are the extremist Islamic people. Hard to comprehend? I didn't generalized the Muslim people at all. Fuck this world where anything anyone says is "OMFG GENERALIZING" Its fucking horrible. GTFO you politically correct faggots.

Is it so hard to comprehend that the ones blowing themselves up are doing it for Allah/Muhammed? That's what their version of Islam teaches. You do this, you get 40 virgins or w/e. I'm also PRETTY FUCKING SURE, that not all the anti-abortionists are extremist Christians. Fuck, they can be any religion for that matter, even no religion at all. I'm against abortion, and I'm agnostic, can you comprehend that?

It doesn't fucking matter at all, when one strongly supports a position, like you fucktards on this board, me defending the opposite position only makes you strongly agree with your side more.

I'd also like to note, Mormonism is the weirdest religion (thats actually regarded as one) ever conceived.

Yes very true, except that they were ALL christians. And the only point that I wanted to make is that people should stop saying there are muslim terrorists so all muslims are terrorists.

And i still think scientology is pretty high up the weird ladder.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2010, 12:21:05 AM »

Yes very true, except that they were ALL christians. And the only point that I wanted to make is that people should stop saying there are muslim terrorists so all muslims are terrorists.

And i still think scientology is pretty high up the weird ladder.

Is scientology a real religion though? Or just an extravagant money making scheme... and on topic here a little, they have been responsible for a lot of deaths as well. Maybe not directly, but sure as hell non-directly. John Tavolta's kid died cause of that shit.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2010, 06:45:05 AM »
Is Christianity a real religion, or just an extravagant money making scheme?  Most religions are about power and money.  One cult is just as good as another.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:35 AM »
They say the Catholic church is the largest bank in the world.  Good thing they aren't Christians.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Yeah, the worst people in the world are from Glasgow, good thing they aren't True Scotsmen.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »
Yeah, the worst people in the world are from Glasgow, good thing they aren't True Scotsmen.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »
Can you summarise? I can't open youtube links here and I'll be too pissed to remember later on.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »
Can you summarise? I can't open youtube links here and I'll be too pissed to remember later on.

If its not Scottish, its crap!!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
They say the Catholic church is the largest bank in the world.  Good thing they aren't Christians.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why Catholics aren't Christian. DO IT. 

Also, happy Thanksgiving  :-*
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
Is Christianity a real religion, or just an extravagant money making scheme?  Most religions are about power and money.  One cult is just as good as another.

Are you saying Christianity is the same as Scientology? GTFO you atheist penguin. This is why no one likes arguing with "holier than thou" Atheists. Oh shit I forgot, you don't like the word holier, bark me up the tree on that one will ya?

Yes, religions have their downside, but when you compare an actual cult, with an actual religion, it makes you seem...idk, like a chauvinistic prick.

Religion bashing needs to stop. It serves a deeper purpose. Religious people live longer, have less rates of depression, and are more likely to give to the poor/charities. Religious organizations amount to the vast majority of aid going to other countries, and here at home.

I still can't believe you compared Scientology to Christianity...

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »

Wow, that's funny.  I guess that Christianity just didn't exist for the first fifteen hundred years after Christ's death then?  ???
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »

Are you saying Christianity is the same as Scientology? GTFO you atheist penguin. This is why no one likes arguing with "holier than thou" Atheists. Oh shit I forgot, you don't like the word holier, bark me up the tree on that one will ya?

Yes, religions have their downside, but when you compare an actual cult, with an actual religion, it makes you seem...idk, like a chauvinistic prick.

Religion bashing needs to stop. It serves a deeper purpose. Religious people live longer, have less rates of depression, and are more likely to give to the poor/charities. Religious organizations amount to the vast majority of aid going to other countries, and here at home.

You just made the baby Jesus cry.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
BAAAAAWWW!!!

Stop making assumptions about people and what they are saying and grow some balls.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »

Do you seriously want me to drive over to your house and kick your ass?  Leave SCG alone.  You're playing with snakes boy, and you're going to get bit.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »
RAWR!  :-*

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »
We takes care of our womens around here.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
Scientology is cool cuz brad pit sponsors it (but he's nuts), but Catholicism has a WWII war hero (except for the wrong side), so all in all they are about even. I am going to send my money to al gore and let him "discover" something else that we already know about. It is by far the most entertaining option.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:45 AM »

Scientolgy and Christianity are both equally plausible religions.  I'm not sure why you find that offensive.  And yes, religious people due tend to lead a "better life".  Religions like Christianity are great in that respect.  However, there's no need to attend a church, give money to it, and follow some of its more extreme views (hating gays?) for the sake of happiness.  I'm sure people who simply believe in a higher power get all the benefits of Christianity without all the crazy.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »

Tone the rhetoric down. You haven't earned the right to be that self-righteous yet.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »

Scientolgy and Christianity are both equally plausible religions.  I'm not sure why you find that offensive.  And yes, religious people due tend to lead a "better life".  Religions like Christianity are great in that respect.  However, there's no need to attend a church, give money to it, and follow some of its more extreme views (hating gays?) for the sake of happiness.  I'm sure people who simply believe in a higher power get all the benefits of Christianity without all the crazy.

I think the motives at the beginning of each religion would call scientology farther into question than they would christianity. While this is proof neither way, you should remember who became insanely rich off of starting a religion, and who keeps their holy book copyrighted and under lock and key.

While the ideas may be equally silly, one group certainly is doing much more harm and is much more likely to have malicious and self serving intentions.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »

I think the motives at the beginning of each religion would call scientology farther into question than they would christianity. While this is proof neither way, you should remember who became insanely rich off of starting a religion, and who keeps their holy book copyrighted and under lock and key.

While the ideas may be equally silly, one group certainly is doing much more harm and is much more likely to have malicious and self serving intentions.

Well, I think some "motives" get distorted (for better or for worse) over time, but you're right.  Some religious groups certainly are more harmful than others, but most (if not all) prey on people's desires for redemption, spirituality, community, etc.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »

Well, I think some "motives" get distorted (for better or for worse) over time, but you're right.  Some religious groups certainly are more harmful than others, but most (if not all) prey on people's desires for redemption, spirituality, community, etc.

Scientology was originally formed to charge money to join, and the money went to the founder. It still charges massive amounts of money for whatever they call redemption. Christianity (if not always by practice) does not require any money, only good intentions etc. Scientology also has a massive philosophy of attacking anyone who attempts to discredit them. Christianity only really did that in the middle of the religion and that was after a massive highjacking of the religion by the upper class.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
On the subject of scientology, in general it's ethical principles are rather sound. I got caught up watching a 2 hour special called The Way To Happiness the other day and rather enjoyed it. I then looked it up and realized it was Hubbard's doing. In this way it's similar to Christianity, but the whole money-per-level thing and all that other thetan nonsense is its downfall.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
I wonder what celebrities get out of Scientology, they have to know about all that Xenu shit. 

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »
I wonder what celebrities get out of Scientology, they have to know about all that Xenu shit. 

I honestly believe that it comes from a deep intuition that something very expensive must inherently be better than something for free.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2010, 06:12:38 PM »
The real question, are they breaking the law by allowing their members to sell themselves into indentured servitude post mortem?

Do slavery laws apply to the soul?