• Official Member
Re: Christianity
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
tl;dl

parsec

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:37:52 PM »
Quote from: Matthew 13
3And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

9Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

18Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

19When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

20But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

22He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

23But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »
www.biblegateway.com

Thank you for posting this as I was unaware of this website which gives the Bible online in several different languages.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:52:44 PM by 17 November »

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54:31 PM »
Holy fuck, dude. We don't care.

parsec

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
Script meltdown. They have been duly reported. The mods have the stand.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
www.biblegateway.com

Thank you for posting this as I was unaware of this website which gives the Bible online in several different languages.

I have added it to my own privately compiled list of websites of Christian interest which I have posted below in alphabetical order appended by websites with books online:

Wait, really? It is the first search result for "bible" in google...

parsec

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »
If you can believe it, the majority of the list was actually not compiled from internet searches.

...but "google searches" was not how I discovered the majority of the items on this list. 

...but I did not first discover his existence by being a computer geek.

ITT: Using Google makes you a computer geek according to levee.

By the way, what do your posts have to do with this thread?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:02:01 AM »
By the way, what do your posts have to do with this thread?

I believe the quotes you made from Matthew 13 are outstanding, and I have added the following link to a homily by Saint John Chrysostom on Matthew 13 which I believe explains it in the same Spirit in which it was first recorded.

HOMILY OF SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM ON MATTHEW 13:10-23

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/200145.htm
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:08:13 PM by 17 November »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
You guys do realise that 17 November is not levee, right?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »
But November 17 is nuts, makes outrageous, clearly false claims, and loves to copy paste huge chucks of links and tl;dr. Not to be an off-topic bashing post, but unless he actually wants people to consider his argument, he's going to have to condense it. A lot.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
Posts have a maximum size for a reason.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
When it comes to this forum and people like that, an expression about flies and shit springs to mind.

parsec

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »

Do you have any proof for your outlandish claim?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:26:01 PM »
Not to be an off-topic bashing post, but unless he actually wants people to consider his argument, he's going to have to condense it. A lot.

Valid point.  Done.

Do you have any proof for your outlandish claim?

Quite a few, but the most important one to note here is Levee's overall attitude.  

Levee would not have listened and deleted those posts like I did.

parsec

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
Levee would not have listened and deleted those posts like I did.

I have only one question for you. Do you think a 100 day period is long?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
I have only one question for you. Do you think a 100 day period is long?
And it is a question which I do not understand.

As far as making posts like Levee, I would say Saddam Hussein is guilty:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=43483.msg1077834#msg1077834

And as far as getting back to the topic, I have a question for you:

If you don't mind my asking, what is your faith and what was your purpose in quoting segments of Gospel that express the essence of Christianity?

Is it just that simple (which would lead me to assume that you are not an atheist) or were you aiming at some particular point?

parsec

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
Deleting your post and posting it again just to edit it without the timestamp is uncool.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
Deleting your post and posting it again just to edit it without the timestamp is uncool.

Let's recap.  This whole thread has thrived on the fact that I posted a couple of long posts.  Now that I have deleted them, you have run out of ideas. 

You're not particularly original, and you are avoiding my questions:

If you don't mind my asking, what is your faith and what was your purpose in quoting segments of Gospel that express the essence of Christianity?

Is it just that simple (which would lead me to assume that you are not an atheist) or were you aiming at some particular point?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:56:22 PM by 17 November »

parsec

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
You are avoiding my questions:

You assume your questions need to be answered.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »

Forgive me for assuming that you would be interested in your own thread.

parsec

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

My own thread has nothing to do with you.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

Except that threads are not blogs. You created this thread with the expectation of creating a discussion and ultimately getting feedback. 17 November asked what point you were making in the OP. This is direct interest in your topic. Refusing to clarify the point of your original post under the pretense that your thread isn't about him is absurd, because his line of questioning isn't about himself, nor does it deviate from the subject you started.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

parsec

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »

Except that threads are not blogs. You created this thread with the expectation of creating a discussion and ultimately getting feedback. 17 November asked what point you were making in the OP. This is direct interest in your topic. Refusing to clarify the point of your original post under the pretense that your thread isn't about him is absurd, because his line of questioning isn't about himself, nor does it deviate from the subject you started.

He answered his own rhetorical questions.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »

His post could not have been rhetorical because it posited two different possibilities:
1. You are not an atheist.
2. You are making some point which remains unclear.

He obviously doesn't think that they were rhetorical nor that they were answered, and the red text above makes this blatantly obvious. It's only rhetorical if the person posing the question intends it to be.

Furthermore, you already knew that he was looking for real answers from you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:03:36 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

parsec

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »
I guess you missed this part from his post:

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 06:08:42 PM »

Thank you.

(which would lead me to assume that you are not an atheist)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:33:36 PM by 17 November »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
I guess you missed this part from his post:

I guess you missed this part.

His post could not have been rhetorical because it posited two different possibilities:

He is looking for a confirmation between two possible scenarios. Any possible deductions made to arrive at these two cases is irrelevant.

parsec

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
I am as convinced as ever that nominal christians are the scum of the earth.

Of course.

I guess you missed this part.

He is looking for a confirmation between two possible scenarios. Any possible deductions made to arrive at these two cases is irrelevant.

And who gives him the right to ask for confirmations? I have said what I wanted to say. It is no concern of mine what he thinks.