Scientific proof that Star Wars would crush Star Trek in any war

• 1084 Replies
(excluding beings like the Q)

Note: I also posted this to another forum, so no, I didn't copy it.

The high end weapon yield for a photon torpedo from the Enterprise is 64 megatons if they somehow react with 100% efficiency (which is an impossibility based on modern Science). Since the bast is omnidirectional half of it would be going in the opposite direction of the hull, so the actual upper limit in terms of the damage in which it can do is about 32 megatons.

The lower limit for the durability of the shields of a star destroyer (from Star Wars) is about 1.4E19 joules (actually, this is a very low end estimate). Converted to tons of tnt it's about 3.34 * 10^15 tons of tnt.

3.34 * 10^15 divided by 3200000 (aka 32 megatons) 1043750000.

Basically, the Enterprise would have to launch 1043750000 photon torpedos to get past the shields of a star destroyer, even when we are using high end estimates for the Enterprise and low end estimates for a star destroyer.

That's likely more photon torpedos than the Federation even has in its arsenal.

STAR TREK JUST GOT PWNED (no disrespect to Star Trek; it's a great show)

Also:

Star Wars star destroyer power generation: >1 quadrillion gigawatts
Star Trek Enterprise power generation: 15 billion gigawatts

Star Wars FTL speed: >100 million C
Star Trek FTL speed: 3000 C

Star Wars industrial capacity: Over 1 million planets, 100 quadrillion civilians, droids, repulsorlift vehicles, constructed the Death Star 2, the size 5 million of the Federation's largest starbases, to 60% readiness in 6 months.
Star Trek industrial capacity: A few hundred planets, under 1 trillion civilians, few droids, no repulsorlifts, less industrialized, one advantage is that they have replicatators.

Because their warp drive is relatively slow, the Federation would not be able to even launch any attack on the Star Wars galaxy (in this scenario the two galaxies are close enough for an intergalactic war) because they wouldn't have enough fuel and it would take decades or more to get there.  Star War's hyperdrive is fast enough so that they can do this.

Because their warp drive is too slow to effectively fight mobile warfare against Star Wars, the Federation would have to spread out their forces, thus making each part of the Federation very weak.  Star Wars can concentrate its forces in a few fleets and attack with their entire space navy and a spread out tiny fraction of the Star Trek space navy.  The rest of the Star Trek forces would be too slow to arrive to help.  Therefore, the huge mobility advantage means that Star Wars could attack any Federation planet at will and the Federation can't do anything to stop it.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Re: Scientific proof that Star Wars would crush Star Trek in any war
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
I'm gonna skip over the math because I don't care enough to double check it...
Since weapon and shield strength are completely made up at the author's discretion, this is essentially a battle of "who can name the higher number?".
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
This is kind of like discussing who would win in a fight between Gandalf the Grey and Harry Potter.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
This is kind of like discussing who would win in a fight between Gandalf the Grey and Harry Potter.
This is kinda like discussing who would win in a fight between Goku and Superman.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
This is kinda like discussing who would win in a fight between Goku and Superman.
This is kinda like discussing who would win in a fight between The Terminator and Robocop

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
I'm gonna skip over the math because I don't care enough to double check it...
Since weapon and shield strength are completely made up at the author's discretion, this is essentially a battle of "who can name the higher number?".

Nice try, but I got my strength figures from canon sources, such as the movies, reference books and novels.

Except that I'm using science, logical reasoning, logistical considerations, etc. to prove my point.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
The numbers are all made up for specific universes. Star Wars people like big numbers, Star Trek people like more realistic numbers.

(Realistic meaning not crazy big.)

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »
The numbers are all made up for specific universes. Star Wars people like big numbers, Star Trek people like more realistic numbers.

I'm not debating the realism of the numbers, I'm debating who would win. 

Note that Star Trek is actually arguably less realistic than Star Wars, yet in a war excluding beings like the Q Star Wars absolutely crushes Star Trek.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »

Note that Star Trek is actually arguably less realistic than Star Wars, yet in a war excluding beings like the Q Star Wars absolutely crushes Star Trek.

Going by what we know about Physics now, neither of them are realistic you dolt.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 07:52:18 PM »

Going by what we know about Physics now, neither of them are realistic you dolt.

Strawman.  I didn't claim that either were realistic.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
This is kinda like discussing who would win in a fight between The Terminator and Robocop
This is kinda like disucssing who would in a fight between Ichimaru Gin :] and James.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Vindictus

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »

Strawman.  I didn't claim that either were realistic.

You're comparing the realism of two science fiction epics, both of which, for example, contain modes of travel for spaceships which exceed the speed of light. Neither are realistic, so neither are more realistic than the other. I mentioned Physics to provide an actual measure of realism to go by. That is not a strawman.

Realistic =! "numbers that aren't crazy big"

I feel so dumb for arguing this. Ugh.

This is kinda like disucssing who would in a fight between Ichimaru Gin :] and James.

You're much more reasonable and sensible than James.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
Couldn't think of any other word for it. Ho 'bout non-crazy?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
Also:

Vindictus

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
I forgot to mention that I like Star Trek more, but I think Star Wars would win in a war.

Jedi's and Death Stars and big ships and hackneyed plots > USS Enterprise phasers.

I thought Star Wars ships did have shields?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 12:46:48 AM »
Except of course that it was 'a long time ago' so there's no way of knowing what the SW galaxy would have by the time of our twenty-fourth century...

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »
This is kinda like discussing who would win in a fight between Ichimaru Gin :] and James.
This is kinda like discussing who would win in a fight between tigger and a wiggle.

I thought Star Wars ships did have shields?
Dunno. I was under the impression that they are only in docking bays to prevent air from escaping.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:53:42 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 06:03:32 AM »
It's a joke. They do have shield generators. They're the white balls on top of the star destroyers:

I'm a Star Wars geek, too.

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 06:37:06 AM »

You're comparing the realism of two science fiction epics, both of which, for example, contain modes of travel for spaceships which exceed the speed of light. Neither are realistic, so neither are more realistic than the other. I mentioned Physics to provide an actual measure of realism to go by. That is not a strawman.

I'm not comparing the realism of the two Sci Fi epics.  I'm comparing who would win using Science.  Sure; both don't follow Science all the time, but they still have a basis in Science and fundamental laws of physics (well, at least Star Wars does; it has yet to show a violation of those) and therefore such is necessary to use in a proper debate.

BTW, that "zomg those lasers won't even penetrate our navigational barriers!" BS is one of the most cited Trekkie argument and has flaws in it:

1. Turbolasers aren't lasers.  Nice try, but just because it has "laser" in its title doesn't mean that it's a laser.  Turbolasers don't follow many of the properties of lasers.
2. Those lasers that Picard wasn't worried about didn't have a firepower of 200 gigatons like turbolasers do, right?  Enough energy will overwhelm those navigational shields; being a "laser" (which a turbolaser isn't) doesn't mean that the navigational shields will stop ANY laser of ANY firepower, even if said firepower is tens of millions of time more powerful than the nuclear bomb used against Hiroshima.  That's a no limits fallacy.

Dunno. I was under the impression that they are only in docking bays to prevent air from escaping.

Which, with all due respect, shows your utter ignorance on this topic.  Star Wars shields are so powerful that the entire world's nuclear arsenal would not even dent a shielded star destroyer...yet you think that they're merely there to keep air from escaping.

PS, I'm not making these numbers up.  They're from canon sources.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:38:42 AM by RoundEarthGuy »

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 06:52:42 AM »
they still have a basis in Science and fundamental laws of physics (well, at least Star Wars does; it has yet to show a violation of those)

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 09:03:16 AM »
Which law does that break?
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »
Which law does that break?

There's no such thing as hyperspace.

Granted, it doesn't break any laws, but what law does a warp drive break? Both are feasibly possible, but there is no known way to enter hyperspace or "bend space", so they're both equally ridiculous. It's not like Star Wars is the summit of scientific accuracy. Both series' are equally as ridiculous.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »

I'm not comparing the realism of the two Sci Fi epics.  I'm comparing who would win using Science.  Sure; both don't follow Science all the time, but they still have a basis in Science and fundamental laws of physics (well, at least Star Wars does; it has yet to show a violation of those) and therefore such is necessary to use in a proper debate.

BTW, that "zomg those lasers won't even penetrate our navigational barriers!" BS is one of the most cited Trekkie argument and has flaws in it:

1. Turbolasers aren't lasers.  Nice try, but just because it has "laser" in its title doesn't mean that it's a laser.  Turbolasers don't follow many of the properties of lasers.
2. Those lasers that Picard wasn't worried about didn't have a firepower of 200 gigatons like turbolasers do, right?  Enough energy will overwhelm those navigational shields; being a "laser" (which a turbolaser isn't) doesn't mean that the navigational shields will stop ANY laser of ANY firepower, even if said firepower is tens of millions of time more powerful than the nuclear bomb used against Hiroshima.  That's a no limits fallacy.

I would have to agree with this, the Enterprise cannot even survive the corona of a star with full shielding, I'm sure a laser with enough power would be able to penetrate their shields.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Lorddave

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »
It has been suggested that laser gun/rifle/cannon, ect. is simply a slang term and so-called lasers operate like other blasters, but use an actual laser to superheat the blaster gas into plasma or energise it into charged particles, rather than a superconductor or other medium.
That's the same thing as a phaser.  So for arguments sake, let's say a blaster/turbolaser works on the same principal.

Imperial II-class Star Destroyer
>9.28 10^24 W power output.
To get this, their ship must use over 103,111 Tons of fuel per second.

Venator-class Star Destroyer's main reactor annihilated the equivalent of 40,000 tons of matter each second using hypermatter to generate 3.6x10^24 W.
Matter/Anti-matter reaction using the same fuel would create 3.6x10^27 W.
So Federation power generation is far more efficient.

Not only that but Star Wars ships require the use of exotic matter called Hyper Matter which doesn't exist in the Star Trek Universe.

Star Wars may have bigger numbers but they require HUGE amounts of fuel and reactors to do it as well as expoti matter.  It should be noted that an equal amount of Hypermatter reaction does not equal anti-matter/matter reaction.

Also, Star Wars ships use hyperspace paths, limiting safe movement to only explored areas.  So in the Milky Way Galaxy, they would not have any navigational information or hyperspace paths so they would not be able to travel.

Next, a federation phaser, standard issue, is capable of vaporizing a human, cutting through thick metal, ect....  An imperial blaster is not.

They also lack transporters as well as sophisticated computer systems.  Star Trek computers run using subspace communication which allows faster than light communications between two modules of the core.  The Millenium Falcon took over a minute to calculate a hyperspace path using an extremely fast Nav computer. 

Frankly, Star Wars only has bigger numbers because they build bigger, not smarter.  The Enterprise-D doesn't use the same amount of power because it doesn't have to. 
I will say that production is not as great but since much of the galaxy is under one rule, that helps.

Also, Starfighters are the primary way to attack capital ships.  Since a federation targeting system can take those things out (they're much too slow) starfighters wouldn't even make it within firing range.  That leaves only capital ships.  Since hyperspace is not safe within an unknown galaxy and Star Wars starships lack long range sensors, All federation ships could easily escape and see any fleet coming 30 lightyears away.

And since they lack replicators, any damage dealt could not be repaired until they set up some kind of industrial processing on a planet or traveled between galaxies.

Of course since hyperspace requires a tachyon based energy field, a simple tachyon pulse on the inverse wavelength would neutralize any hyperdrive.  In fact, flooding the ship with tachyons at an inverse frequency would probably neutralize their entire power grid since hypermatter is tachyon based.  That's something a standard federation deflector array could do.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Oh and if the Borg assimilated just one Star Destroyer everyone would be fucked.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »

Which, with all due respect, shows your utter ignorance on this topic.  Star Wars shields are so powerful that the entire world's nuclear arsenal would not even dent a shielded star destroyer...yet you think that they're merely there to keep air from escaping.

PS, I'm not making these numbers up.  They're from canon sources.

I'm fine with only being well versed in reality and letting my movie physics trivia slide, but I can't recall any space ship scenes that made use of shields. I'm simply stating that I can only remember a few obvious shields, which were around little things and in the entrance the Deathstar's docking bay when the MF got pulled in. Of course, I will defer to those who watched the series more than twice, or does unnecessary research on the side.

PS, I wasn't claiming you made up the numbers, just the authors.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »
Nice try, but I got my strength figures from canon sources, such as the movies, reference books and novels.

Except that I'm using science, logical reasoning, logistical considerations, etc. to prove my point.

Canon shmanon.  The numbers you present may be accurate now, but canon can change at the whim of a director.  Just look at the drastic change in the Enterprise specs involved in the star trek 2009 reboot.  Or the addage of deck "29" to the previously 24-deck Enterprise E in Star Trek Nemesis.  Or referring to klingon ships as warbirds rather than the romulan ships. 

And how is your proof scientific?  You just admitted to getting the information from canon sources, which means you didn't obtain them through scientific experiment.  If you built a simulator around canon numbers, then conducted simulations from that, I'd then perhaps allow you to call your results scientific.

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
Star Wars seems to break less laws of physics on average because they tend not to explain how anything works(you can't say something is impossible if it never explains how it works). I actually prefer it that way though since I would rather have them explain nothing rather then try to explain something and getting it wrong.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 06:43:15 AM »
It has been suggested that laser gun/rifle/cannon, ect. is simply a slang term and so-called lasers operate like other blasters, but use an actual laser to superheat the blaster gas into plasma or energise it into charged particles, rather than a superconductor or other medium.
That's the same thing as a phaser.  So for arguments sake, let's say a blaster/turbolaser works on the same principal.

Imperial II-class Star Destroyer
>9.28 10^24 W power output.
To get this, their ship must use over 103,111 Tons of fuel per second.

Venator-class Star Destroyer's main reactor annihilated the equivalent of 40,000 tons of matter each second using hypermatter to generate 3.6x10^24 W.
Matter/Anti-matter reaction using the same fuel would create 3.6x10^27 W.
So Federation power generation is far more efficient.

What is the efficiency of Federation power generation?  Even if it's antimatter I don't remember there being any mention of their efficiency since a real life antimatter reactor still wouldn't be 100% efficient.

Granted, antimatter is probably more efficient, but the matter that Star Trek uses for antimatter isn't as dense as hypermatter.  Therefore, a Star Wars reactor of a certain size would be orders of magnitude more powerful than a Star Trek reactor of the same size.

As an example, the Death Star's reactor core was equivalent to millions of our sun.

Not only that but Star Wars ships require the use of exotic matter called Hyper Matter which doesn't exist in the Star Trek Universe.  

And?

Star Wars may have bigger numbers but they require HUGE amounts of fuel and reactors to do it as well as expoti matter.  It should be noted that an equal amount of Hypermatter reaction does not equal anti-matter/matter reaction.

Yet Star Wars in terms of industrial production FAR, FAR outmatches Star Trek by at least an order of magnitude of 1000, so they can make more hypermatter than Star Trek can make antimatter.  A single star destroyer has a greater power generation than the entire Federation fleet.

Also, hypermatter is EXTREMELY dense, and therefore a HUGE amount of it can fit into the reactors of star destroyers.  In comparison, antimatter may be more efficient, but a Star Trek reactor of the same size as a Star Wars reactor would not be NEARLY as powerful as the Star Wars hypermatter reactor.

Also, Star Wars ships use hyperspace paths, limiting safe movement to only explored areas.  So in the Milky Way Galaxy, they would not have any navigational information or hyperspace paths so they would not be able to travel.

Yet they've mapped out every part of the Star Wars galaxy.  The Federation has yet to explore 1/10th of their galaxy, and their slow warp drive would take decades or more to mount any attack on Star Wars.  Meanwhile, Star Wars can send probe droids to scout Star Trek territory and plot routes.  Star Trek wouldn't even be able to reach Star Wars.

It's like comparing the United States to the Roman Empire.  If the two were somehow in a war, the latter wouldn't even be able to reach the former.

Next, a federation phaser, standard issue, is capable of vaporizing a human, cutting through thick metal, ect....  An imperial blaster is not.

Federation phasers generally don't have iron sights and don't even have trigger guards.  Oh, and the Federation doesn't have armor, tanks, artillery, etc.  In a ground battle even modern day Earth would curbstomp an equal Federation "army".  I'm not kidding.  Heck, the gungans from Star Wars: TPM would have a good chance against an equal Federation army.

They also lack transporters as well as sophisticated computer systems.  Star Trek computers run using subspace communication which allows faster than light communications between two modules of the core.  The Millenium Falcon took over a minute to calculate a hyperspace path using an extremely fast Nav computer.  

With all due respect, this is bullshit.  Sentient droids are commonplace among Star Wars, including C3PO, made by Anakin when he was a slave using random parts, and holds more languages than Data does.  The reason why it took the Falcon longer is because said hyperspace path was thousands of light years.  A small model globe that fit in Obi Wan's hand mapped out every planet in the galaxy and the gravitational orbits.

Frankly, Star Wars only has bigger numbers because they build bigger, not smarter.  The Enterprise-D doesn't use the same amount of power because it doesn't have to.  
I will say that production is not as great but since much of the galaxy is under one rule, that helps.

As for transporters, they can't go through shields, and a Federation boarding party would get stomped by defensive crew from Star Wars.

No, Star Wars is far more powerful in practically every way.  They're stronger, faster, more durable, larger, etc.

To put it in perspective, a Pelleaon class star destroyer could take on the entire Federation fleet and come out unscathed.  Star Wars is simply far more powerful than Star Trek.

Also, Starfighters are the primary way to attack capital ships.  

With all due respect, bullshit.  Where did you get this from?  Evidence suggests that starfighters are mainly for striking at critical systems while the main damage is done with turbolasers, which even the ones from a transport ship have the firepower tens of millions of nuclear bombs per blast.  Also, starfighters are perhaps more powerful than Federation ships.  I'm not kidding.

Since a federation targeting system can take those things out (they're much too slow) starfighters wouldn't even make it within firing range.  

Again, bullshit.  Federation ships had to go within a few kilometers to hit a HUGE BORG CUBE!

Also, starfighters outrange Federation ships.

Besides, a single blast from a turbolaser would literally blast a Federation ship into smithereens.  

That leaves only capital ships.  Since hyperspace is not safe within an unknown galaxy and Star Wars starships lack long range sensors, All federation ships could easily escape and see any fleet coming 30 lightyears away.

Bullshit.  Star Wars hyperdrives are faster than Star Trek FTL sensors.

Oh, and again, bullshit.  Star Wars does indeed have FTL sensors.  In fact, they're so advanced that said sensor waves or whatever they are could travel across the galaxy without any noticeable lag.  Seriously.  Star Wars technology may be somewhat made up super-magi-tech, which is why they win.

And since they lack replicators, any damage dealt could not be repaired until they set up some kind of industrial processing on a planet or traveled between galaxies.

"Any damage dealt" - did you read my calculations?  Any damage dealt by the Federation would be completely insignificant.  Like, as much damage as a caveman with a stick would do to a tank.

Of course since hyperspace requires a tachyon based energy field, a simple tachyon pulse on the inverse wavelength would neutralize any hyperdrive.  In fact, flooding the ship with tachyons at an inverse frequency would probably neutralize their entire power grid since hypermatter is tachyon based.  That's something a standard federation deflector array could do.

Where did you get this?

@Some other people:

Look at this site;

www.stardestroyer.net

It contains scientific calculations demonstrating the firepower and such of Star Wars.

Also, even if the authors are making up numbers, that doesn't make them non-canon.  George Lucas also made up Star Wars, and the creators of Star Trek made up Star Trek.  If you don't like the numbers, too bad.  George Lucas owns Star Wars, he says they're canon, so they're canon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:00:36 AM by RoundEarthGuy »

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 07:49:35 AM »
You're forgetting that wars are based on strategy and tactics, , not who's got the biggest/most efficient gun. Obviously this comes into it, but because most Star Destroyer captains in Star Wars tend to be complete retards then I'll say Star Trek.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.