Guy sends a camer 100,000ft in the air. Earth doesnt look flat to me.

• 29 Replies
?

Yellow Tennis Ball

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/13/father-son-team-launch-balloon-with-hd-camera-iphone-into-space/

Id like to know what you guys think about this. You can clearly see that the Earth is not flat.

Re: Guy sends a camer 100,000ft in the air. Earth doesnt look flat to me.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:09 AM »
Man, what is this like...the 100th post of this? This guy needs some sort of an award where balloons fall down and confetti congratulating him.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
Looks pretty flat at 3:21ish.  Then Round.  Then Concave.  Then Flat.  Then Round.  

You can see insane distortion all over the entire video.  Perhaps it went through some aether eddies.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

?

Danukenator123

• My Alts: Parsifal
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:55:25 AM »
Looks pretty flat at 3:21ish.  Then Round.  Then Concave.  Then Flat.  Then Round.  

You can see insane distortion all over the entire video.  Perhaps it went through some aether eddies.

Tennis, Lurk moar.

Username, prove that aether exists.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:01:24 AM »
Aether is an unnecessary medium. Whether it exists or not is irrelevant as it appears to be 'undetectable' by any equipment we have.

I thought that was the point of the M&M experiment.

flanman

• King of Desserts
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
Regardless, there was a guy who did the same thing BUT also had a video screen and Rickrolled the upper atmosphere.
"I don't know everything, I don't know how fish work!"
-Joel

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:49:08 AM »

Tennis, Lurk moar.

I will.  Until such time you can kindly note I was speculating.  Hence the "perhaps."  The point is that there is distortion all over the entire video making it look all sorts of things its not.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

?

Horatio

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:47 AM »

Tennis, Lurk moar.

I will.  Until such time you can kindly note I was speculating.  Hence the "perhaps."  The point is that there is distortion all over the entire video making it look all sorts of things its not.

If I find the sponsorship, will FES nominate someone to launch to orbit?
How dare you have the audacity to demand my deposition. I've never even heard of you.

?

Horatio

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »
What would that accomplish?

The end of the Flat Earth Society.

That is my one goal in life.
How dare you have the audacity to demand my deposition. I've never even heard of you.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
What would that accomplish?

The end of the Flat Earth Society.

That is my one goal in life.

Lurk moar and you'll find that most FE'ers would deny that they were even in space.  I can't find the thread, but it was either Pongo or Vongeo that stated that any space flights were actually just elaborate simulators (windows are really high-res screens, etc.).  You'll never get a diehard FE'er to admit they're wrong.

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 11:54:15 AM »
I volunteer to be sent to space.
Signature under building process, our apologies for the inconveniences

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »
not so clear

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
The sights seen from SpaceShipOne/Two and amateur balloonists at the edge of the atmosphere are easily explainable under FET.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=High+Altitude+Photographs

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
The sights seen from SpaceShipOne/Two and amateur balloonists at the edge of the atmosphere are easily explainable under FET.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=High+Altitude+Photographs
False. You can only use that argument if and only if you can show that the observed curvature match the Sun's illumination on an FE map. Since you don't have an FE map, you fail.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »

That relies on a spotlight Sun, which isn't possible.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:53 AM »

What about the microgravity experienced in spaceshipone/two?  We hope the amateur balloonists do not experience it since that means they are FALLING.  RE the spacecraft is experiencing a constant falling to earth around the earth  (Orbit).  On FE the only way to experience Microgravity is to "Fall" (or allow the Earth to catch up) something that can be experienced in a vomit comet plane ride.  (I believe Thork can attest to that)

So how does SpaceShipOne/Two, ISS experience microgravity without falling?

Berny
Had a shower
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »
I assume you were on SpaceShipOne/Two or ISS since you seem to be so sure of this.

What about the microgravity experienced in spaceshipone/two?  We hope the amateur balloonists do not experience it since that means they are FALLING.  RE the spacecraft is experiencing a constant falling to earth around the earth  (Orbit).  On FE the only way to experience Microgravity is to "Fall" (or allow the Earth to catch up) something that can be experienced in a vomit comet plane ride.  (I believe Thork can attest to that)

Berny
Had a shower

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »

Berny
Had a shower
Sorry, but you're mistaken. Even SpaceShip was falling to experience micro-gravity. Anything in orbit falls as well to experience micro-gravity.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
Quoted from wikipedia: "the constant free fall of the ISS offers a perceived sensation of weightlessness"

Berny
Had a shower
Sorry, but you're mistaken. Even SpaceShip was falling to experience micro-gravity. Anything in orbit falls as well to experience micro-gravity.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »

Yes everything in Orbit "falls" to experience microgravity - but they stay at the same "altitude" and fall not to the earth itself (straight down) but along the "curve".   They may be falling but the can still orbit the earth for a signifgant number of orbits.  FE there is no ability to Orbit, so experiencing sustained microgravity by falling would be directly back to earth and would severly limit the time and altitude.

From Wikipedia about the ISS

At the station's orbital altitude, the gravity from the Earth is 88% of that at sea level. While the constant free fall of the ISS offers a perceived sensation of weightlessness, the environment onboard is not one of weightlessness or zero-gravity, instead often being described as microgravity. This state of perceived weightlessness is not perfect, however, being disturbed by four separate effects:

The 15minute orbit of the SpaceshipOne experienced microgravity before it's decent back to eath.
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

That relies on a spotlight Sun, which isn't possible.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Sun

The 15minute orbit of the SpaceshipOne experienced microgravity before it's decent back to eath.

Microgravity occurs any time you fall and reach terminal velocity.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 03:28:01 PM »
Thread #8!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »

Not quite true, Tom.  Think about it.  Terminal velocity is when the acceleration due to gravity is balanced with atmospheric drag and velocity becomes constant.  No change in velocity, no microgravity.  In fact, as you descend into the thicker layers of the atmosphere, drag increases and terminal velocity decreases.  This is known as atmospheric braking.  If you don't believe me, ask a skydiver if he experiences microgravity when his parachute is open and he is at terminal velocity.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
Thread #8!

FYI, the number game is in Random Musings.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »

Not quite true, Tom.  Think about it.  Terminal velocity is when the acceleration due to gravity is balanced with atmospheric drag and velocity becomes constant.  No change in velocity, no microgravity.  In fact, as you descend into the thicker layers of the atmosphere, drag increases and terminal velocity decreases.  This is known as atmospheric braking.  If you don't believe me, ask a skydiver if he experiences microgravity when his parachute is open and he is at terminal velocity.

If your terminal velocity is decreasing, you're not at terminal velocity then, are you?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »

Not quite true, Tom.  Think about it.  Terminal velocity is when the acceleration due to gravity is balanced with atmospheric drag and velocity becomes constant.  No change in velocity, no microgravity.  In fact, as you descend into the thicker layers of the atmosphere, drag increases and terminal velocity decreases.  This is known as atmospheric braking.  If you don't believe me, ask a skydiver if he experiences microgravity when his parachute is open and he is at terminal velocity.

If your terminal velocity is decreasing, you're not at terminal velocity then, are you?

The actual value for terminal velocity depends on several factors and is not constant through the atmosphere.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
Great answer!

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
The 15minute orbit of the SpaceshipOne experienced microgravity before it's decent back to earth.

Spaceship One actually did not achieve orbit.  It merely followed a projectile path that would not have taken it around the earth.  Since a projectile by definition is in free fall, Spaceship One experienced microgravity.  An orbit is also freefall, but it specifically is a path that is wide enough to clear the object being orbitted.

Microgravity occurs any time you fall before reaching terminal velocity.  It's dependent on your vessel's acceleration being close to the same rate gravity is trying to accelerate you at.  As soon as that changes, some form of G-force will be experienced between you and the vessel.  At terminal velocity, your vessel's acceleration will be 0g, while gravity pulls you at 1g, so there will be a 1g force between you and the vessel at terminal velocity.  But I see the point you are trying to make, and there I agree with you.

?

Danukenator123

• My Alts: Parsifal
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 08:46:58 AM »
Thread #8!

It gets better each time. amiright!

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »

If your terminal velocity is decreasing, you're not at terminal velocity then, are you?[/s]

You're arguing against yourself, Tom.   I'll let you continue the debate with the other Tom.
Let us know when one of you wins.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.