valuable experiment to determine RE or FE

• 21 Replies

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
valuable experiment to determine RE or FE
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »
I may have found a way to determine whether this thing under us is a spheroid or a disc;

This is an experiment that needs to be done in a controlled environment and with sophisticated measuring equipment, but I'd like to hear your opinions about the possibility of using it to determine the difference betwen RE and FE.

We probably all know the story of a huge suspension bridge where the tops of the supporting pillars are wider apart then the bottoms of those supporting pillars, because of the curvature of the earth. I'm not goin got make any claims about this, but what if we take that situation and do the following:
-drop 2 balls from two points at a considerable height and a large distance between them. (point A and B)
-measure if the distance between the points where they meet the ground (A2 and B2) is smaller than the distance between the points they were released at (A and B).

Since the only noticable difference between a gravitation-like effect caused by gravity and one caused by UA would be that gravitaty pulls towards the center of a globe and UA pushes uniformly, the results of this experiment would give either proof for the existence of gravity, or at least more useful information about the directional push of the UA.

(This should be possible with various ranges and distances, but would obviously give more noticeable results when used distances get bigger)

Any opinions?
~No Ordinary Moments~

?

zork

Re: valuable experiment to determine RE or FE
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
 If the distance is quite large then how do you measure the distance accurately between upper points? If you use laser then they claim that the laser bends and the result isn't reliable or surely something like that.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
If the distance is quite large then how do you measure the distance accurately between upper points? If you use laser then they claim that the laser bends and the result isn't reliable or surely something like that.

Also, how would you know the the stuff you drop will fall exactly straight down? If you are at the top of something very high, if there is any wind, it could skew the results.

?

zork

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »
 That is the easy part. You just choose the windless day and choose the object heavy enough so that the light breeze won't affect it.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »
That is the easy part. You just choose the windless day and choose the object heavy enough so that the light breeze won't affect it.

Go ahead and find two extremely tall, parallel structures where there is no wind. I'll be awaiting your results.

?

zork

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »

Go ahead and find two extremely tall, parallel structures where there is no wind. I'll be awaiting your results.
If the building is sufficiently wide then the downwind side should be sufficiently quiet.
-

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »

If the building is sufficiently wide then the downwind side should be sufficiently quiet.

What buildings do you know of that are not only extremely tall, but also wide?

?

zork

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »
You are no fun at all when there is some real experiment at stake. In the name of the FE you are ready to devise the "no energy acceleration" for UA but for this you just pick at some wind problem.
-

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
You are no fun at all when there is some real experiment at stake. In the name of the FE you are ready to devise the "no energy acceleration" for UA but for this you just pick at some wind problem.

I just don't know what you want me to be do I?  :(

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Of course it's not going to be easy to get a controlled invironment for the experiment and of course there is the bendy light problem.. but what I'm wondering is;
if these differences in distances would be accurately measurable (and I think it could be) does this not create a way to determine whether gravitation-like effects are caused by a force toward the centre of a globe, or a force that is uniformy divided over the surface? That would finally be a wonderful and repeatable way to see who's right. Which is what most of these threads on this forum are about, right?

Now if we can first agree if the theory checks out; then we can worry about the practical conditions to actually try this in reality.

PS: about bendy light; do the experiment with the tops of the two pillars at 30 metres from the surface and use a laser to determine the distance (oh no.. but bendy light will make light behave differently at the bottom of the pillars then at the top altitude) and then: do the same experiment with two pillars at 60 metres above the surface where a ball is dropped till a point 30 metres lower, so the bottoms are now at the same altitude as the tops were in the first experiment.. that way, the 30 metre altitude laser beam becomes a constant, even if light bends..

(Please don't troll about the 30 metres number; we're all smart enough to understand that this theory also applies to 10 metres, 100 metres, or whatever relative dimensions)
~No Ordinary Moments~

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
Not sure why you need to drop balls from a height.

Just measure the distance between the top and bottom of your bridge.

Then drop a plumb bob at each end of the bridge.

ZOMG the earht is flat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
Not sure why you need to drop balls from a height.

Just measure the distance between the top and bottom of your bridge.

Then drop a plumb bob at each end of the bridge.

ZOMG the earht is flat!!!!!!!!!!!!

dropping a plumb bob is also a good way to do the experiment, thanks!
Now, until we try.. there can be no conclusion to this experiment if it will show whether it's flat or round. Both answers are still possible. I don't quite see why you added the "ZOMG the earht is flat!!!!!!!!!!!!" to a quite helpful comment.
~No Ordinary Moments~

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
Of course it's not going to be easy to get a controlled invironment for the experiment and of course there is the bendy light problem.. but what I'm wondering is;
if these differences in distances would be accurately measurable (and I think it could be) does this not create a way to determine whether gravitation-like effects are caused by a force toward the centre of a globe, or a force that is uniformy divided over the surface? That would finally be a wonderful and repeatable way to see who's right. Which is what most of these threads on this forum are about, right?

I have already said yes. This is why we are discussing how you would go about doing it.

Now go find two structures that are extremely tall and have no wind.

Or a building that is extremely tall as well as extremely wide.

Not to mention you would have to get the people who own the structures to allow you to go on the top of it, and throw large objects off of it.

Good Luck!

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
I don't quite see why you added the "ZOMG the earht is flat!!!!!!!!!!!!" to a quite helpful comment.

Your knew hear aunt ewe.

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »
I don't quite see why you added the "ZOMG the earht is flat!!!!!!!!!!!!" to a quite helpful comment.

Your knew hear aunt ewe.

Nope, just been away for a while.. can very well be that I missed something yeah
~No Ordinary Moments~

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »

I have already said yes. This is why we are discussing how you would go about doing it.

Not to mention you would have to get the people who own the structures to allow you to go on the top of it, and throw large objects off of it.

Good Luck!

I'm glad that the fact that you agree with the theory seems to mean that we all agree then.

So.. moving on; should be possible to find a large suspension bridge, (such as the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but could actually also just be two tall skyscrapers far enough apart) hang down a plumb bob at each end (thanks, Crustinator) and shield the hanging lines from wind by some sort of big tube for example. Then use several ways of measuring the distances to rule out bendy light trouble (which I think was already disproven loooong ago anyway) and we're done.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:57:09 PM by Misterkami »
~No Ordinary Moments~

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 06:15:11 PM »

Good Luck!

I'm glad that the fact that you agree with the theory seems to mean that we all agree then.

So.. moving on; should be possible to find a large suspension bridge, (such as the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but could actually also just be two tall skyscrapers far enough apart) hang down a plumb bob at each end (thanks, Crustinator) and shield the hanging lines from wind by some sort of big tube for example. Then use several ways of measuring the distances to rule out bendy light trouble (which I think was already disproven loooong ago anyway) and we're done.

You are going to get a tube the size of the skyscrapper?  ???

Also, I find it highly unlikely that a tube of that sort of length is going to be perfectly straight.

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 11:23:29 PM »

Good Luck!

Also, I find it highly unlikely that a tube of that sort of length is going to be perfectly straight.

Well, how about WE go find a solution for this problem? I'm only offering an idea to find out the truth in this FE / RE discussion. I think it's in the interest of both parties. Don't you want to find out? How about we all think constructively.
In case of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, the distance between the towers is 1,2 km and the height of the towers is 211 metres. Apparently that is already enough to give a measurable result. That should make it easier than skyscraper-like altitudes already. If the tube (or maybe another solution?) is also wide enough, it doesn't need to be perfectly straight, just straight enough. Any suggestions?
~No Ordinary Moments~

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:22 AM »

Good Luck!

Well, how about WE go find a solution for this problem? I'm only offering an idea to find out the truth in this FE / RE discussion. I think it's in the interest of both parties. Don't you want to find out? How about we all think constructively.
In case of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, the distance between the towers is 1,2 km and the height of the towers is 211 metres. Apparently that is already enough to give a measurable result. That should make it easier than skyscraper-like altitudes already. If the tube (or maybe another solution?) is also wide enough, it doesn't need to be perfectly straight, just straight enough. Any suggestions?

Have you calculated what the result should be?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 01:36:43 AM »
We probably all know the story of a huge suspension bridge where the tops of the supporting pillars are wider apart then the bottoms of those supporting pillars, because of the curvature of the earth.

This is false. There's an article in the Wiki abut this:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Humber+Bridge

?

zork

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 02:50:52 AM »
We probably all know the story of a huge suspension bridge where the tops of the supporting pillars are wider apart then the bottoms of those supporting pillars, because of the curvature of the earth.

As far as this considers Humber Bridge the claim is true but Misterkami didn't mention any specific suspension bridge.
-

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »

and your point is..?

I didn't make any claims about that. It was just a quick way to sketch a situation to explain an experiment. From the content of that experiment it should be clear to you that it makes this wiki-page totally irrelevant. Thank you for trolling. Now I'd like to ask you to think along with us to find a way to make this experiment work in reality; it just might prove a Flat Earth.
~No Ordinary Moments~