PSA: Moonlight Causes Seizures: avoid at all costs

• 85 Replies

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
Re: PSA: Moonlight Causes Seizures: avoid at all costs
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 06:23:02 AM »
I spend a fair amount  of time exposed to moonlight (late evening Rugby, going out etc.) and I've not noticed any negative effects whatsoever. If moonlight is harmful, then I would be in a very bad way, would I not?
If you avoided moonlight, you'd probably feel much better; possibly well enough not to boast about your activities, trying to appear superior.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 06:33:25 AM »
PizzaPlanet, why so butthurt?
Don't you go out at night? Or go camping or have a chat in a backyard at night? I did exactly that last thing last night, and I'm perfectly fine.

And as Zork pointed out... you can say "that's because of moonlight", but you will have to explain HOW, and that has never been done.
Signature under building process, our apologies for the inconveniences

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 06:45:07 AM »
Don't you go out at night? Or go camping or have a chat in a backyard at night? I did exactly that last thing last night, and I'm perfectly fine.
I simply don't approve of such smugness. It always reminds me of certain people's comments, such as (to paraphrase): "I'm much cooler than you because I play indoor soccer", "While you were learning this I was having sex with women", etc.
How is it in any way relevant to the discussion? Some RE'ers and FE'ers seem to think that such an answer refutes an argument. It saddens me that you've just done essentially the same.

And as Zork pointed out... you can say "that's because of moonlight", but you will have to explain HOW, and that has never been done.
No. No, we don't. You don't seem to feel obliged to explain how gravity works (and it's been proven not to work by Einstein, not to mention several inconsistencies between the theory and actual observation). What you claim you've done is that you've proven THAT gravity exists, not HOW it works. Ichi has done the same regarding effects of the moonlight. Read through his experiment, watch the videos. Judge them yourself - don't trust a person who can't balance units in a simple equation, yet feels confident enough to fill his posts with comments such as "egg on your face!". Also, don't trust me - why would you? Analise the experiment yourself.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:49:27 AM by PizzaPlanet »

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 06:50:31 AM »
That science cannot explain fully how gravity works doesn't take away the responsability of any other scientists of the world to explain their words. That's a cowardly way of shielding yourself in the incapacity of explain something to not have to explain yourself. As my mother said: You cannot justify your mistakes with other people's mistakes.
Besides, there are some theories about gravity, there is not even one for how moonlight causes this problems.

About Ichi's experiment, all I can see is the lack of sunlight, not the exposure to moonlight. And I said this in another thread, obviously ignored by FE'ers:
Forests, rainforests, gardens, parks, always exposed to moonlight when it's nightime, since the first apparition of plants in our world, they exist, live, and grow, that alone mows down any theory of moonlight being harmful for plants.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 06:58:15 AM »
That science cannot explain fully how gravity works doesn't take away the responsability of any other scientists of the world to explain their words. That's a cowardly way of shielding yourself in the incapacity of explain something to not have to explain yourself. As my mother said: You cannot justify your mistakes with other people's mistakes.
Besides, there are some theories about gravity, there is not even one for how moonlight causes this problems.
There are theories which have been conclusively proven not to work. Some approximations can be done correctly, while some will result in a completely faulty result. And no, the lack of explanation from your part is not an excuse for us not to explain. However, it's only fair if we expect the same from each other.

About Ichi's experiment, all I can see is the lack of sunlight, not the exposure to moonlight. And I said this in another thread, obviously ignored by FE'ers:
Forests, rainforests, gardens, parks, always exposed to moonlight when it's nightime, since the first apparition of plants in our world, they exist, live, and grow, that alone mows down any theory of moonlight being harmful for plants.
Smoking is harmful to humans. People smoke and (sic!) they exist, live, and (if they started early enough for this to apply) grow! That alone mows down any theory of smoking being harmful to people.
Alcohol is harmful to humans. People drink and (oh my!) they live! I guess alcohol isn't harmful after all.
People who lost their hands in car accidents often survive said accidents. Therefore, losing your hands is not harmful by itself.
It's a whole new world of freedom! We can do whatever we want, without having to worry about harm! Cholesterol - disproved! Drugs - irrelevant! Prolonged exposure to low-frequency sound - not an issue!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:00:00 AM by PizzaPlanet »

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
However, it's only fair if we expect the same from each other.
So you refuse explaining something that can be relevant and that would make you win some discussion because your opponent cannot explain his viewpoint?
What a stupid thing, but hey, it's a philosophy, i respect that.

Smoking is harmful to humans. People smoke and (sic!) they exist, live, and (if they started early enough for this to apply) grow! That alone mows down any theory of smoking being harmful to people.
Alcohol is harmful to humans. People drink and (oh my!) they live! I guess alcohol isn't harmful after all.
People who lost their hands in car accidents often survive their accidents. Therefore, losing your hands is not harmful by itself.
It's a whole new world of freedom! We can do whatever we want, without having to worry about harm! Cholesterol - disproved! Drugs - irrelevant! Prolonged exposure to low-frequency sound - not an issue!
Those cases are not related to Ichi's experiment in a single way, besides, quoting the FAQ that I guess you support:
"A: The Earth is not one of the other planets" ---> Humans are not plants.

?

zork

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 07:40:08 AM »
Ichi has done the same regarding effects of the moonlight.
As Ichi refuses stubornly from explanation how I and others interpret his experiment wrongly then he haven't done anything like that. He only tested how plants act when you expose them to the different amount of light. Nothing to do with the moonlight and its effects.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »
However, it's only fair if we expect the same from each other.
So you refuse explaining something that can be relevant and that would make you win some discussion because your opponent cannot explain his viewpoint?
What a stupid thing, but hey, it's a philosophy, i respect that.
Excellent.

People who lost their hands in car accidents often survive their accidents. Therefore, losing your hands is not harmful by itself.
Those cases are not related to Ichi's experiment in a single way, besides, quoting the FAQ that I guess you support:
"A: The Earth is not one of the other planets" ---> Humans are not plants.
Yes, you've got a point here. However, my point still stands if you replace "rainforests are exposed to moonlight and live" with "humans are exposed to moonlight and live", which I guess you support.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
I simply don't approve of such smugness. It always reminds me of certain people's comments, such as (to paraphrase): "I'm much cooler than you because I play indoor soccer", "While you were learning this I was having sex with women", etc.
It could be smugness, or it could just be a statement of fact.  Lots of uncool people play sports, go out at night and get laid too, you know.

How is it in any way relevant to the discussion? Some RE'ers and FE'ers seem to think that such an answer refutes an argument. It saddens me that you've just done essentially the same.
It's relevant because it's evidence that moonlight does not interfere with normal night time activities.  In fact, moonlight more likely leads to an increase of out door night time activity because of increased illumination.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

zork

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 08:34:05 AM »
No. No, we don't.
Sure, there is no need to HOW but there sure is need to some reliable correlation between all these effects and the moonlight. And especially moonlight, not just light. All these allegedly moonlight issues here can be also just because there is light.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
It could be smugness, or it could just be a statement of fact.  Lots of uncool people play sports, go out at night and get laid too, you know.
Yes, that's more or less what I was talking about. The activities themselves do not make you smug. Boasting about them, on the other hand, does.

No. No, we don't.
Sure, there is no need to HOW but there sure is need to some reliable correlation between all these effects and the moonlight. And especially moonlight, not just light. All these allegedly moonlight issues here can be also just because there is light.
I've observed no such correlation, though that might of course be subject to personal experience. Your point is a valid one. However, I believe that the correlation is quite reliable. Of course, we're likely to disagree on this point. I think all we can do is respect each other's opinions on that matter.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 10:43:13 AM »
And how was that in any way smug? I was being specific to lessen the chane of any of you calling 'bullshit' and avoiding my point.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

zork

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
I've observed no such correlation, though that might of course be subject to personal experience. Your point is a valid one. However, I believe that the correlation is quite reliable. Of course, we're likely to disagree on this point. I think all we can do is respect each other's opinions on that matter.

It took the time and multiple readings and I am still not sure that I got your point.  You have observed no such correlation - does that mean that you have observed no correlation between the light(any other light except moonlight) and effects?
 However you believe that the correlation is quite reliable - you mean that the correlation between moonlight and effects is quite reliable?
-

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

It took the time and multiple readings and I am still not sure that I got your point.  You have observed no such correlation - does that mean that you have observed no correlation between the light(any other light except moonlight) and effects?
 However you believe that the correlation is quite reliable - you mean that the correlation between moonlight and effects is quite reliable?
Essentially.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »

So you have never observed any of the harmful effects of moonlight, but you think that moonlight has an effect? Very zetetic of you.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

zork

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »

Essentially.
How do you decide that the reason is only the moonlight and not just light, brightness? How do you eliminate all other possible causes? Moonlight isn't the only thing which affects you in the moonlit night. Or do we just leave the reasonable stuff behind and just say that you just believe that?
-

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
It has nothing to do with the moonlight itself, nor is moonlight harmful in any way.
Even if we assume the correlation in this case is without significance, it would still not necessarily entail moonlight being completely harmless.
However, it remains a fact that Pongo's warning is without basis and therefore should not have been made.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
And how was that in any way smug? I was being specific to lessen the chane of any of you calling 'bullshit' and avoiding my point.
Unfortunately, you're doing this again - this time through ad hominem-like explanations. You're hardly worth my time.

How do you decide that the reason is only the moonlight and not just light, brightness? How do you eliminate all other possible causes? Moonlight isn't the only thing which affects you in the moonlit night. Or do we just leave the reasonable stuff behind and just say that you just believe that?
I can't conclusively prove that it's just moonlight that causes the effects. All I'm saying is that the events we report are a bit too convenient to be a coincidence. Obviously, the possibility still exists, and the probability of that is reasonable - I'm not denying that.
So, essentially, yes, I'm talking about what I believe.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:46:42 PM by PizzaPlanet »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »
Unfortunately, you're doing this again - this time through ad hominem-like explanations. You're hardly worth my time.
???  A touch sensitive, aren't we?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
Much more than a touch. However, I've noticed that this approach saves a lot of potentially wasted time. After all, if they wanted to make a point, they'd just make it.

?

zork

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2010, 06:21:50 AM »
I can't conclusively prove that it's just moonlight that causes the effects. All I'm saying is that the events we report are a bit too convenient to be a coincidence. Obviously, the possibility still exists, and the probability of that is reasonable - I'm not denying that.
So, essentially, yes, I'm talking about what I believe.
Convenient, sure :) This reminded me a joke about indians(native american) and a white men. There are variations but one I found was like:

It was October and the indians on a remote reservation asked their new
chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a chief in a modern society he had never been taught the
old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter
was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter
was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should
collect firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went
to the phone booth, called the national weather service and asked, "Is
the coming winter going to be cold?" "It looks like this winter is going
to be quite cold," the metorologist at the weather service responded.

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect
every scrap of firewood they could find. Two weeks later the chief
called the national weather service again. "Are you absolutely sure that
the winter is going to be very cold?" he asked. "Absolutely," the man
replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the
coldest winters ever." .

"How can you be so sure?" the chief asked. The weatherman replied, "The
indians are collecting firewood like crazy."
-

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
I assure you that I'm not ordering the moon to kill people.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »
Much more than a touch. However, I've noticed that this approach saves a lot of potentially wasted time. After all, if they wanted to make a point, they'd just make it.
Well, the point that we are trying to make is that despite dire warnings of some here, people routinely expose themselves to the full fury of moonlight and suffer no ill effects.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2010, 08:52:13 AM »
Well, the point that we are trying to make is that despite dire warnings of some here, people routinely expose themselves to the full fury of moonlight and suffer no ill effects.
Which I have addressed, and I will again:
People with high cholesterol often feel perfectly fine. So do smokers. People who get drunk (but not too much) feel great, but that doesn't change the fact that their organisms are suffering from damage in the meantime.
On the other hand, cases when something does happen to people during, or shortly after, moonlight exposure seem to be conveniently called coincidences.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »
People with high cholesterol often feel perfectly fine. So do smokers. People who get drunk (but not too much) feel great, but that doesn't change the fact that their organisms are suffering from damage in the meantime.
On the other hand, cases when something does happen to people during, or shortly after, moonlight exposure seem to be conveniently called coincidences.

Evidence?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
Humans are good at finding patterns in cause and effect, even when they don't necessarily exist.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2010, 09:16:04 AM »
Humans are good at finding patterns in cause and effect, even when they don't necessarily exist.
As well as baselessly refuting them when they exist, as mentioned above.

?

zork

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
So, what base you have for the dangers of moonlight? Haven't still seen anything except for your belief.
-

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
So, what base you have for the dangers of moonlight? Haven't still seen anything except for your belief.
Obvious coincidences and accidents, of course.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2010, 11:17:56 AM »
Care to name a few? Other than my bragging, of course.