These are pictures that I personally took

• 67 Replies
?

41.60l23

These are pictures that I personally took
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Hello FES,

I can't tell if this site is a joke or not, but here goes:

I was involved in high altitude ballooning experiments all summer. We sent payloads to altitudes of approximately 100,000 feet and returned images capturing the curvature of the earth.

If you are convinced that I have digitally created these pictures, then I will happily provide seamless videos of the entire flight (although these are multiple gigabytes) on request. Here are a few images we captured:

I also have a moderately extensive mathematical knowledge of special relativity. I understand that there is much current debate over light bending phenomena here. Please feel free to ask any questions, and I may or may not have answers for you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:12:48 PM by 41.60l23 »

Re: These are pictures that I personally took
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
I love how this hasn't been answered yet.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Lorddave

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
FEers don't accept those images as proof. They say it's the "circle spotlight" of the sun yet never explain why the whole area visible is too small to be the total lit area of the planet.

And this site is serious to the 3-6 people who actually believe it.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »
FEers don't accept those images as proof. They say it's the "circle spotlight" of the sun yet never explain why the whole area visible is too small to be the total lit area of the planet.

When did we say it is the total lit area of the Earth?  ???

Even RET doesn't suggest this.

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »

RET doesn't suggest it because you can't see the total lit area of the Earth from one point.
FET, however, doesn't have this limitation as the Earth is flat and therefore there is no obstruction to seeing the whole lit area in front of the Camera.

-Note: The only time it would show what is being seen is if the camera was facing East and took pictures within an hour of sunset at it's location. 

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »

RET doesn't suggest it because you can't see the total lit area of the Earth from one point.
FET, however, doesn't have this limitation as the Earth is flat and therefore there is no obstruction to seeing the whole lit area in front of the Camera.

-Note: The only time it would show what is being seen is if the camera was facing East and took pictures within an hour of sunset at it's location. 

When have we ever said the whole Earth is lit at the same time?  ???

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

When have we ever said the whole Earth is lit at the same time?  ???
He never said you did, did he? Please reread the post.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »
Still avoiding the images, I see.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
Still avoiding the images, I see.

Those are nice pics :).. And it would be kewl for you to post a 10 min clip from where you took those pictures from :) I personally want to send up a large foam ball with 4-6 HD digital cameras in it so I can attempt to get a 360 degree POV.  8)
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »
Those are really great pictures.
One possible reason why you see curvature is that the sun is a floodlight.
A floodlight shine a wide circle of light of our round disc shaped earth.

this is what causes the illusion or cuvature. What you are really seeing the sun the suns light.

also, non believers have infiltrated our society. They try to make us seem like fools, saying the sun and moon are spotlights. This is an impossibility.

the sun is a floodlight.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »
Both pictures clearly show the clouds have some shape other than a dead straight line. This is quite normal, clouds have shape.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Lorddave

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
Those are really great pictures.
One possible reason why you see curvature is that the sun is a floodlight.
A floodlight shine a wide circle of light of our round disc shaped earth.

this is what causes the illusion or cuvature. What you are really seeing the sun the suns light.

also, non believers have infiltrated our society. They try to make us seem like fools, saying the sun and moon are spotlights. This is an impossibility.

the sun is a floodlight.

If it's a floodlight, why is our view so limited?  That picture should show more of the Earth.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:00:02 PM »
How is the Sun a floodlight?

I can't see any wires or lenses over it, nor any sides to direct it's light.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 06:02:44 PM »

Irrelevant. They could be extremely thin.

Vindictus

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »

It's very relevant.

We need to prove how a giant ball of gases many times the size of the Earth came to be situated inside a plastic cone directing it's light.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »

It's very relevant.

We need to prove how a giant ball of gases many times the size of the Earth came to be situated inside a plastic cone directing it's light.

You not being able to see it is irrelevant.

Vindictus

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »

It's very relevant.

You not being able to see it is irrelevant.

Isn't obserable evidence the only thing this theory is based on?

Apart from bendy light and conspiracy theories, of course.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
At the edge of the atmosphere the observer is looking down at the illuminated spotlight of the sun upon the earth.

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
At the edge of the atmosphere the observer is looking down at the illuminated spotlight of the sun upon the earth.
That's clearly false. The observer would not see such a curved area most of the time. The observer would not see the curved in the location he does.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
That's clearly false. The observer would not see such a curved area most of the time. The observer would not see the curved in the location he does.

Considering that the edges of the sun's spotlight upon the earth are circular, anywhere the observer looks he will see curvature to that spotlight.

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »

Considering that the edges of the sun's spotlight upon the earth are circular, anywhere the observer looks he will see curvature to that spotlight.
False. The edges of the sun's spotlight are not always circular. On the equinoxes, for example, the edge under FET would be a straight line.

False. The observer should only see the edge where the terminator is, not in the middle of a sunlit area.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:12 PM »
False. The edges of the sun's spotlight are not always circular. On the equinoxes, for example, the edge under FET would be a straight line.

Incorrect. The earth is not a globe. Applying Round Earth predictions to the Flat Earth map is not a valid method of inquiry. Entirely new data must be undertaken.

False. The observer should only see the edge where the terminator is, not in the middle of a sunlit area.

The observer sees farther the higher he is.

?

Atheist PhD

• God is not real and the earth is not flat
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »
Man, every time I come on here, I am never disappointed, but sometimes I do leave scratching my head and thinking "surely these grown men are more intelligent than they appear."

Faced with indisputable evidence that the earth is round like EVERY other planet in the solar system, faced with nearly a thousand years of peer reviewed data and repeated trips to the moon and the fact that I have seen satelites orbiting the earth, you still hang on dogmatically to a failed and archaic belief that the earth is flat.

I have a question, and I know it's been asked before but humor me.. WHY is the EARTH flat??  What is the reason for it and why not other planets?  Did God create it this way???  Just curious.
If you show me your theories, I'll show you mine.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »
Did God create it this way???  Just curious.

I would seem silly that you of all people would suggest this.

?

Atheist PhD

• God is not real and the earth is not flat
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »

Then explain it to me.. WHY is the EARTH flat??? Who created the disc sun and moon and why?? These things do not fit the traditional ideas put forth by science and the cosmos, so if they do not, then someone or something created this anomaly....  Spot light and discs, starts only 3000 miles above the earth???  What powers the light of the sun and the heat???  Come on people, THINK... this is worst than the Theists claims for the existence of god and the whole YEC argument.  Shakes my head.....
If you show me your theories, I'll show you mine.

Vindictus

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »

Then explain it to me.. WHY is the EARTH flat??? Who created the disc sun and moon and why?? These things do not fit the traditional ideas put forth by science and the cosmos, so if they do not, then someone or something created this anomaly....  Spot light and discs, starts only 3000 miles above the earth???  What powers the light of the sun and the heat???  Come on people, THINK... this is worst than the Theists claims for the existence of god and the whole YEC argument.  Shakes my head.....

You present another piece of strong evidence against FE theory.

Every other planet is spherical and follows different rules to our planet. That means that Earth is special in some way, and clearly hints towards a 'creator' of sorts. This creates problems in and of itself; Where is this creator now? Why isn't it doing stuff? Which religion got it right?

Short of a 'creator' theory, there is nothing to explain why the Earth is flat. So it can't be flat.

Conclusion: Earth is round. We aren't special. Universe is vast and seemingly empty. Life on this planet is a lucky coincidence. These boards are troll food.

Om nom

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 10:49:02 PM »

Every other planet is spherical and follows different rules to our planet. That means that Earth is special in some way, and clearly hints towards a 'creator' of sorts. This creates problems in and of itself; Where is this creator now? Why isn't it doing stuff? Which religion got it right?

Short of a 'creator' theory, there is nothing to explain why the Earth is flat. So it can't be flat.

Conclusion: Earth is round. We aren't special. Universe is vast and seemingly empty. Life on this planet is a lucky coincidence. These boards are troll food.

Om nom

Lack of a reason to explain the way the universe is isn't evidence to the contrary. Even in RET scientists are unaware how their universe is form. This must mean our universe is special is some way,and clearly hints towards a 'creator' of sorts. This creates problems in and of itself; Where is this creator now? Why isn't it doing stuff? Which religion got it right?

Short of a 'creator' theory, there is nothing to explain why the Universe acts the way it does. Why did it decide to follow the laws of thermo-dynamics? For what reasons should electromagnetic forces exist?
Conclusion: Our universe is special, it therefore goes to say that the things inside it are special.

Vindictus

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »
Did God create it this way???  Just curious.

Then explain it to me.. WHY is the EARTH flat??? Who created the disc sun and moon and why?? These things do not fit the traditional ideas put forth by science and the cosmos, so if they do not, then someone or something created this anomaly....  Spot light and discs, starts only 3000 miles above the earth???  What powers the light of the sun and the heat???  Come on people, THINK... this is worst than the Theists claims for the existence of god and the whole YEC argument.  Shakes my head.....

Om nom

Lack of a reason to explain the way the universe is isn't evidence to the contrary. Even in RET scientists are unaware how their universe is form. This must mean our universe is special is some way,and clearly hints towards a 'creator' of sorts. This creates problems in and of itself; Where is this creator now? Why isn't it doing stuff? Which religion got it right?

Short of a 'creator' theory, there is nothing to explain why the Universe acts the way it does. Why did it decide to follow the laws of thermo-dynamics? For what reasons should electromagnetic forces exist?
Conclusion: Our universe is special, it therefore goes to say that the things inside it are special.
Why? Under the FE theory, the Earth is physically different relative to every other planet we can see and visit. However, the Universe we know cannot be compared to other 'Universes' (even the grammar agrees), so you cannot twist my own words against me in the fashion you did, and still remain consistent. The Universe we dwell in simply is. We have no alternatives to what we can understand about our physical plane.

And don't tell me about the Multiverse, we know nothing about parallel 'Universes' if they do exist.

That said, you didn't address my main point nor that of the poster I had quoted.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:45:41 PM by Jack »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »
Did God create it this way???  Just curious.

Then explain it to me.. WHY is the EARTH flat??? Who created the disc sun and moon and why?? These things do not fit the traditional ideas put forth by science and the cosmos, so if they do not, then someone or something created this anomaly....  Spot light and discs, starts only 3000 miles above the earth???  What powers the light of the sun and the heat???  Come on people, THINK... this is worst than the Theists claims for the existence of god and the whole YEC argument.  Shakes my head.....

Om nom

Why? Under the FE theory, the Earth is physically different relative to every other planet we can see and visit. However, the Universe we know cannot be compared to other 'Universes' (even the grammar agrees), so you cannot twist my own words against me in the fashion you did, and still remain consistent. The Universe we dwell in simply is. We have no alternatives to what we can understand about our physical plane.

And don't tell me about the Multiverse, we know nothing about parallel 'Universes' if they do exist.

That said, you didn't address my main point nor that of the poster I had quoted.

First off, language. Unnecessary and not allowed in the upper fora.

Second off, what proof do you have that we can visit other planets. The laws of physics won't even let us leave our atmosphere, what makes you think we can visit other planets?  ???

Third off, I can most certainly compare this universe to an unknown, or unreal one. Ever heard of the term, "potential world"? Look it up.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:59:43 PM by Jack »

Vindictus

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 12:28:05 AM »
First off, language. Unnecessary and not allowed in the upper fora.

Second off, what proof do you have that we can visit other planets. The laws of physics won't even let us leave our atmosphere, what makes you think we can visit other planets?  Huh

Third off, I can most certainly compare this universe to an unknown, or unreal one. Ever heard of the term, "potential world"? Look it up.

Mars. Look it up. Actually, nevermind, NASA faked landing on Mars multiple times for some reason.

Completely different to what I used as my example. Comparing our current Universe to an unreal Universe is in no way similar to comparing Earth to, say, Venus.

Now tell us why the Earth is flat, whereas every other planet we can study is spherical.

That's right. It's not flat.