Simple geophysics and astronomy

• 24 Replies
Simple geophysics and astronomy
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »
I realize that some people go to extreme lengths to make themselves believe an unlikely theory, here the flat earth theory.

I have to ask how can nature support a flat slab of mass in space?  Simple geophysics proves that this can not be, astronomy shows that objects with a mass like Earth's are all spherical.

Second, at night, you can look up and see the international space station.  They have taken many photos of the Earth from up there that show it's spherical.  You can claim that NASA is part of some crazy conspiracy but you can look up at night and see the station pass by.  That alone should be good enough physical evidence.

Also, if the Earth was really flat, then why are there horizons?  If it was flat we should be able to see for hundreds of miles, but we can only see for about 20 because of the curvature of the Earth.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:03:22 PM by Yuri Armstrong »

gotham

• Planar Moderator
Re: Simple geophysics and astronomy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »
I realize that some people go to extreme lengths to make themselves believe an unlikely theory, here the flat earth theory.

I have to ask how can nature support a flat slab of mass in space?  Simple geophysics proves that this can not be, astronomy shows that objects with a mass like Earth's are all spherical.

Second, at night, you can look up and see the international space station.  They have taken many photos of the Earth from up there that show it's spherical.  You can claim that NASA is part of some crazy conspiracy but you can look up at night and see the station pass by.  That alone should be good enough physical evidence.

Also, if the Earth was really flat, then why are there horizons?  If it was flat we should be able to see for hundreds of miles, but we can only see for about 20 because of the curvature of the Earth.

Just a quick message of assistance.  Your questions have been asked and answered in previous exchanges.  These can be located by using the search function within the website.  There is also a FAQ section available that will help. Sometimes, these answer all your issues and sometimes applicable evidence is presented to back up the other data.

?

Horatio

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »

Just a quick message of assistance.  Your questions have been asked and answered in previous exchanges.  These can be located by using the search function within the website.  There is also a FAQ section available that will help. Sometimes, these answer all your issues and sometimes applicable evidence is presented to back up the other data.

Ignore that reply. No answers have ever existed in the FAQ.

Not just the ISS can be observed, but dozens of other satellites on a nightly basis:

http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats.asp?Mag=3.5&lat=43.367&lng=-80.983&loc=Stratford&alt=359&tz=EST

And those are just the brightest.
How dare you have the audacity to demand my deposition. I've never even heard of you.

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
Always ask your question.  Never look for an answer.  With every answer, there is a new question.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »
Always ask your question.  Never look for an answer.  With every answer, there is a new question.

That's equivalent to the Banana man con. Look, don't bother thinking or looking for answers, just believe what we tell you to believe. ::)  And sorry, it's healthy to have new questions.

FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

?

s3d

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20:15 AM »
can you show us where is the explanation for the fact that you can see the space station from the Earth?
when you claim that space station/Satellites do not exist?

just pointing to the explanation will be sufficient :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:22:37 AM by s3d »
You can't wake up a person that is pretending to be asleep

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:30:19 AM »
can you show us where is the explanation for the fact that you can see the space station from the Earth?
when you claim that space station/Satellites do not exist?

just pointing to the explanation will be sufficient :)

They need data to support the explanation. This to which they do not have. You can ask or even challenge them to give you data and they will always fail to provide :)
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:49:10 AM »
unless you can take a photo which simultaneously shows yourself AND the space station then there's no reason to belive it

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
unless you can take a photo which simultaneously shows yourself AND the space station then there's no reason to belive it

So you would discount anyone being on the space station as evidence? I could more simply give you the instructions on how to look for it in the sky so you can actually see it for yourself. Go buy the appropriate telescope and google the instructions. Lazyness, or I can't afford a telescope will not suffice as an excuse btw.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:19:50 PM »

So you would discount anyone being on the space station as evidence? I could more simply give you the instructions on how to look for it in the sky so you can actually see it for yourself. Go buy the appropriate telescope and google the instructions. Lazyness, or I can't afford a telescope will not suffice as an excuse btw.

The station "is" in geostationary orbit above the opposite side of the world from me (oh how convenient..) so even if I had a telescope I wouldn't be able to see it (assuming your round earth hypothesis).

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »

The station "is" in geostationary orbit above the opposite side of the world from me (oh how convenient..) so even if I had a telescope I wouldn't be able to see it (assuming your round earth hypothesis).

No, the ISS is not in geostationary orbit. You fail yet again.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »

LMAO!

?

Horatio

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »

Go here and enter your location: http://www.heavens-above.com/?Loc=Stratford&Lat=43.367&Lng=-80.983&Alt=359&TZ=EST

Odds are that you'll have an opportunity to watch the ISS, and dozens of other satellites, pass over on a nightly basis.

The ISS is not in geostationary orbit. I'm sure we could build a station in geostationary orbit, but it would be far more expensive to build and maintain than one in LEO.
How dare you have the audacity to demand my deposition. I've never even heard of you.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

Not just the ISS can be observed, but dozens of other satellites on a nightly basis:

http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats.asp?Mag=3.5&lat=43.367&lng=-80.983&loc=Stratford&alt=359&tz=EST

Oh ma god! I can see them at night!? Or can you just see specks? Who say's those specks are actually the ISS and not something else?

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »

Oh ma god! I can see them at night!? Or can you just see specks? Who say's those specks are actually the ISS and not something else?
RET predicts when and where you're see those specks. FET says that they don't even exist. So after you see them tonight, which theory are you going say is more accurate? By the way, interesting way to use an apostrophe.

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »

Actually, with the right telescope they are not specks. and you can google and research 3rd party imagery of the ISS.  Do please try again.

http://www.apstas.com/astrotas/Sayers/PhotographingtheISS.html

Using 25 inch diameter telescope with adaptive optics and a simple digital camera you can in fact get a very close up image and a pretty clear image of the ISS.

This was taken at a Boston high school.

http://www.rayfowler.org/2007/07/03/international-space-station-photos/

So I tell you what, when you get yourself this setup, research how to adjust for the best possible image and then take a digital camera and take video and some snap shots.. There are places out there that can help you with that as well.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:11:07 PM by TheJackel »

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »

The magic speck that seems to follow the same orbit as the satellite, what a coincidence!

Or perhaps it's you ability to reason that's floating away?

It's ok though, we'll wait for the earth to 'catch up' with it.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »

RET predicts when and where you're see those specks. FET says that they don't even exist. So after you see them tonight, which theory are you going say is more accurate? By the way, interesting way to use an apostrophe.

just because you have answers for everything... doesn't mean they're right or even remotely resemble reality.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »

just because you have answers for everything... doesn't mean they're right or even remotely resemble reality.

Did it ever occur to you that people like myself have seen it? I have my own Telescope, and I bring my scope on my sailing trips all the time. So I get to see things like this all the time. It's actually pretty cool stuff, and the image looks better through the scope than the camera trying to take the picture btw. It's really hard to adjust cameras to properly take images through a telescope. And my telescope isn't as good as the 25 inch one above, so I usually get half blurry view. I'm thinking about buying one of those 25" telescopes to see if I can take a good picture of the ISS myself :) Ones 28 inches and above are also very expensive. Something like 15k - 16k :( The one I have is a 12" and it cost me 2k when I bought it. Anyways I am rambling on here.

And yes, I am right concerning this subject, and it does resemble reality, no, it is reality!  8)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:00:17 AM by TheJackel »

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:35 AM »
Of course not, but in search of the Truth, Science places the higher value on the theory, in this case RET, with the better predictive abilities. So, RET matches reality better than FET and is therefore the better choice.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:10 AM »

Did it ever occur to you that people like myself have seen it? I have my own Telescope, and I bring my scope on my sailing trips all the time. So I get to see things like this all the time. It's actually pretty cool stuff, and the image looks better through the scope than the camera trying to take the picture btw. It's really hard to adjust cameras to properly take images through a telescope. And my telescope isn't as good as the 25 inch one above, so I usually get half blurry view. I'm thinking about buying one of those 25" telescopes to see if I can take a good picture of the ISS myself :) Ones 28 inches and above are also very expensive. Something like 15k - 16k :( The one I have is a 12" and it cost me 2k when I bought it. Anyways I am rambling on here.

And yes, I am right concerning this subject, and it does resemble reality, no, it is reality!  8)

I bring my telescope on my sailing trips all the time

how stupid do you think I am??  ??? telescopes on a boat this is absurd  :-\

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 05:03:09 AM »

You're right.  What possible use could a sailor find for a telescope on a boat?  ::)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 05:30:34 AM »

I'd prefer to think that you're just uninformed. How you missed the use of telescopes in sailing I don't know, as it's almost a cliche in all those B-grade pirate movies.

Of course, it does seem that so many FEers fail to notice the world around them that I have to wonder if not seeing reality is part and parcel with the theory.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:39:17 PM by ClockTower »

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »

You're right.  What possible use could a sailor find for a telescope on a boat?  ::)

They work just semi ok in calm water. Definitely not going to be much use at sea vs where you bring it to. But I have used it many of times while being tied to the mooring. Other than that, you can use it to spy on the beach babes :P

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
But simple physics states that matter can't exist in a big flat slab in space... are the laws of physics part of the conspiracy too?