Fox lowers it's standards for "experts"

• 43 Replies

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
Fox lowers it's standards for "experts"
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4311300/video-game-lets-you-be-the-taliban/

According to the lady WWII games aren't based on real people.

Just for your guys info, all medal of honor games have had multiplayer in which one side plays as the good guys and the other side plays as bad guys. And Counterstrike has had "terrorists" as a playable side since its inception.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
Re: Fox lowers it's standards for "experts"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »
lawl, "all video games that depict death are bad because people actually die irl." It sounds like all those ground zero mosque people. They sense that it's bad, but they have no reasons to back it up. It seems like the anchor realized that she had nothing, and did a good job presenting the EA case.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:23:19 AM »
The anchor was surprisingly knowledgeable and did show off the flaws in her logic. I can't believe she pulled the "my son died and to him it isn't a game" line at the end. If I was the anchor I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from saying "no duh, he's dead."

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
The video won't load for me.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:38 AM »
The market will dictate if this game is in bad taste or not. Nuff said.

i have to go grab a beer and come back and continue playing

Lorddave

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
Someone doesn't know about the really bloody murder games.

I can understand what she's saying.  It IS a current war and those who have felt it directly will get emotional from just seeing the images of Americans dying from guys in head wraps.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »

I can understand what she's saying.  It IS a current war and those who have felt it directly will get emotional from just seeing the images of Americans dying from guys in head wraps.

Yes, and there's a simple solution to that.  Don't buy the game.

Also, like Raist said, some video games, like Call of Duty and Counterstrike, have had Arabic terrorists as a playable side during multiplayer for years now.  There was no public outcry back then, and I don't see why there should be one now.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »

Also, like Raist said, some video games, like Call of Duty and Counterstrike, have had Arabic terrorists as a playable side during multiplayer for years now.  There was no public outcry back then, and I don't see why there should be one now.

Because those wars were nothing like real life. I mean, the idea of a British/American joint operation claiming to bring down an authoritarian and nuclear-armed regime in Saudi Arabia is just silly. Duh.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »

How do you know the terrorists in Counter-Strike are Arabs?

2 of them are wearing ski masks - so you obviously cannot tell anything about them.

The other two look more like Cuban revolutionaries/Rambo

Also, Arab people are composed of different skin colors... the fact that you and so many Americans think "middle-eastern terrorist" and automatically call them Arabs is embarrassing.

Lorddave

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 01:12:17 PM »

That would be true if there wasn't media advertising, kids(adults?) talking about it, ect...
Madden 11 just came out and there are commercials for that on TV.  Should she stop watching TV too?
What about posters on the street?  Or in Game shops?  Should she avoid those places too?

Also:
Making up a fake war is one thing.  Using a real war is another.

Yes I know it sounds silly to you and me but just because something sounds silly to us, doesn't mean it's not serious to others. 

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
How soon before Fox report that the Taliban are using this for training?

Also: We beat the Taliban ages ago. We're just mopping up the few pockets of resistance now. Fact.

Lorddave

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
How soon before Fox report that the Taliban are using this for training?

Also: We beat the Taliban ages ago. We're just mopping up the few pockets of resistance now. Fact.

I'd laugh personally if they did start using it.

"Sir, the NA_y Se4Ls are challenging us to a match."
"Then we shall Pwn those pig dogs"

I'm not sure if I agree that it's a mop up.  We beat their government and standing army but that doesn't make them beaten, it just makes them on the losing side.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
She never talks about how the US funded the Taliban and Al-Qaeda in the 80s.

Lorddave

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 01:42:32 PM »
She never talks about how the US funded the Taliban and Al-Qaeda in the 80s.

I'm not sure how many people really know that but I'm willing to bet it's not a whole lot.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
I wonder if this lady has seen "No Russian" in Modern Warfare 2.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
I wonder if this lady has seen "No Russian" in Modern Warfare 2.

If she has her reaction had better be on Youtube.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »

That would be true if there wasn't media advertising, kids(adults?) talking about it, ect...
Madden 11 just came out and there are commercials for that on TV.  Should she stop watching TV too?
What about posters on the street?  Or in Game shops?  Should she avoid those places too?

Also:

Yes I know it sounds silly to you and me but just because something sounds silly to us, doesn't mean it's not serious to others. 

And I'm sure people who lost loves ones in football games (a rather common occurance) would be mortified to see so many kids treating football like it is no big deal. You can turn it on, turn it off, go have a beer and yet it wasn't a game for their relatives.

This woman was playing the butthurt card, and if being reminded of it hurts so much why would she go on national television and talk about his death? Why would she start a major campaign against the game that will remind her of it every day of her life?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »

If she's that desperate to not be offended, then yes, she should do all of those things.  Well, either that or grow up.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »

If she's that desperate to not be offended, then yes, she should do all of those things.  Well, either that or grow up.
I'm always hearing about dead people on the news. It sensationalizes it and that makes me sad. The news is insensitive.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 04:38:54 AM »

Also:

And I'm sure people who lost loves ones in football games (a rather common occurance) would be mortified to see so many kids treating football like it is no big deal. You can turn it on, turn it off, go have a beer and yet it wasn't a game for their relatives.

This woman was playing the butthurt card, and if being reminded of it hurts so much why would she go on national television and talk about his death? Why would she start a major campaign against the game that will remind her of it every day of her life?

To be fair Fox news probably goaded her along.

Lost your son in Eye-raq? Boy you're gonna be offended by a whole lotta things! I'm gonna put you on my speed dial!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:55 AM »
I can't believe she pulled the "my son died and to him it isn't a game" line at the end. If I was the anchor I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from saying "no duh, he's dead."

I would have at least pointed out that we have a VOLUNTEER service, and it was his choice to join up with the expectation that he could go to war and potentially die.  It's unfortunate that he did, sure, but it was still his choice.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »
I can't believe she pulled the "my son died and to him it isn't a game" line at the end. If I was the anchor I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from saying "no duh, he's dead."

I would have at least pointed out that we have a VOLUNTEER service, and it was his choice to join up with the expectation that he could go to war and potentially die.  It's unfortunate that he did, sure, but it was still his choice.

She brought it up as a trump card. You can't exactly argue against "my son died for this country and this is what he wants because I speak for him now"

She is simply using her son's death to drive her current political agenda which is fucked up.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 09:02:59 AM »

She brought it up as a trump card. You can't exactly argue against "my son died for this country and this is what he wants because I speak for him now"

She is simply using her son's death to drive her current political agenda which is fucked up.

Bitch aint got no respect for the deceased. I hate when people do that shit.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »
Her son probably played MWF2 in the barracks and killed killed the shit out of Americans as the Al Queda or whatever middle eastern group it is that's included.  Maybe what MOH is missing is something even MORE controversial than being able to play as the bad guys to get a pass.  Brutally killing innocent civilians seemed to work for MWF2.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 04:30:23 AM »
Her son probably played MWF2 in the barracks and killed killed the shit out of Americans as the Al Queda or whatever middle eastern group it is that's included.  Maybe what MOH is missing is something even MORE controversial than being able to play as the bad guys to get a pass.  Brutally killing innocent civilians seemed to work for MWF2.

Nah, there was way more shit over No Russian than this has been able to stir. If more games acknowledged the existence of sex they'd get a lot more coverage, it's just a shame nobody noticed the inflatable doll in the bathtub at Makarov's compound. But then, you'd have to actually play the game to notice that.

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »

I can understand what she's saying.  It IS a current war and those who have felt it directly will get emotional from just seeing the images of Americans dying from guys in head wraps.

Yes, and there's a simple solution to that.  Don't buy the game.

Also, like Raist said, some video games, like Call of Duty and Counterstrike, have had Arabic terrorists as a playable side during multiplayer for years now.  There was no public outcry back then, and I don't see why there should be one now.

2 of them are wearing ski masks - so you obviously cannot tell anything about them.

Also, Arab people are composed of different skin colors... the fact that you and so many Americans think "middle-eastern terrorist" and automatically call them Arabs is embarrassing.

Its embarrassing that your too thickheaded to realize that counter-strike has descriptions of each skin of terrorist. Example:

"Overview

A terrorist faction founded in the Middle East, this group has a reputation for ruthlessness. Their disgust for the American lifestyle was demonstrated in their 1982 bombing of a school bus full of Rock and Roll musicians. "

"
Overview

The Elite Crew are Middle Eastern fundamentalists bent on world domination and various other evil deeds.
"

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »

I can understand what she's saying.  It IS a current war and those who have felt it directly will get emotional from just seeing the images of Americans dying from guys in head wraps.

Yes, and there's a simple solution to that.  Don't buy the game.

Also, like Raist said, some video games, like Call of Duty and Counterstrike, have had Arabic terrorists as a playable side during multiplayer for years now.  There was no public outcry back then, and I don't see why there should be one now.

Its embarrassing that your too thickheaded to realize that counter-strike has descriptions of each skin of terrorist. Example:

"Overview

A terrorist faction founded in the Middle East, this group has a reputation for ruthlessness. Their disgust for the American lifestyle was demonstrated in their 1982 bombing of a school bus full of Rock and Roll musicians. "

"
Overview

The Elite Crew are Middle Eastern fundamentalists bent on world domination and various other evil deeds.
"

Good catch. I've only played the game a little and never read the bio.

Johannes' racism is kind of disgusting. Judging their place of origin and religion by their skin tone.

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
an vir

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
WWII is still killing people.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127476757

Hey, stop posting in this thread. She told me that every time we post here her son gets pissed cuz we reminded her of him.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
I watched about twenty seconds of that frog-lady talking before switching back over to VanHalen.  Fox news is like Bud Ice, only certain people like it and I stay away from those that do.