The Moon does not appear flat

• 67 Replies
Re: The Moon does not appear flat
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »
I believe in a disc shaped earth, but its very obvious from my high powered telescope that the moon craters have shadows. I dont see any shadows on the sun.

What make more sense is that the sun shines a floodlight beam that creates the phases of the moon and also causes our days and nights.

That is by definition the difference between something that has an albedo vs something that produces it's own light.  However, the sun isn't a disk or flashlight for obvious reasons.

Something with an albedo can produce its own light also. In fact every known object in the universe with an albedo produces its own (thermal) light. And the sun has an albedo too.

Please try again. It might help you to understand by actually knowing what an Albedo is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo

And the moon is clearly reflecting sunlight.

If you think the Sun has no reflectivity you are wrong. And if you think that the moon does not radiate by itself (apart from reflecting sunlight), you are also wrong. What is your level in Astrophysics?

If you want to understand more about what you're talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Radiative-Processes-Astrophysics-George-Rybicki/dp/0471827592

Wow, you really didn't comprehend the argument did you.. The sun reflecting it's own light is not the problem son. You can take the time stare at the sun and tell me if you see a crater, or any land features. Hell, turn a flashlight on and flash it in someones face and ask them if they can see any scratches or lens textures. If you want to get technical, Stars would have an Albedo of 100 (which is why most consider them without an albedo since they are the producers or sources of light). Albedo is known as surface reflectivity of sun’s radiation. It is quantified as the proportion, or percentage of solar radiation of all wavelengths reflected by a body or surface to the amount incident upon it. An ideal white body has an albedo of 100% and an ideal black body, 0%.
You comeback when you fully grasp the context of my posts above ;) And if you read that book, it will concur with the links I provided you. And I strongly suggest you learn how to measure the angle of the moon phases in accordance to the position of the sun as well.

http://books.google.com/books?id=KFdu4CyQ1k0C&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=measuring+the+angle+of+the+sun+by+the+moon+phases&source=bl&ots=3jK7WM0Mea&sig=0mJB2KY3svDxI2H4nJpU6tFEm5o&hl=en&ei=eKSRTP-MJcGB8gaLo4HtBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=measuring%20the%20angle%20of%20the%20sun%20by%20the%20moon%20phases&f=false

http://cs.astronomy.com/asycs/forums/t/32717.aspx

You can look up this info readily in most planetarium programs, such as The Sky, Starry Night, Stellarium, etc.

For example, the positions as of 22:08 UT, April 24, 2008:

Moon: RA = 7H 15m 28s
Sun: RA = 1H 24m 28s
a difference of 5H 41M.
51 minutes of arc is 41/60ths of an hour (85%), or 10.25 degrees. 5 hours of arc is 75 degrees.

So the angular difference by this method is 85.25 degrees.

The actual value in angular separation given by my copy of The Sky is 84D 18M 09S. The difference is due to the fact that when I click on the outline of the Sun or the Moon on the computer screen, I'm not precisely centered on each object and since they're about 1/2 degree in diameter it's easy to be off by something less than a degree.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:12:19 PM by TheJackel »
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
I believe in a disc shaped earth, but its very obvious from my high powered telescope that the moon craters have shadows. I dont see any shadows on the sun.

What make more sense is that the sun shines a floodlight beam that creates the phases of the moon and also causes our days and nights.

That is by definition the difference between something that has an albedo vs something that produces it's own light.  However, the sun isn't a disk or flashlight for obvious reasons.

Something with an albedo can produce its own light also. In fact every known object in the universe with an albedo produces its own (thermal) light. And the sun has an albedo too.

Please try again. It might help you to understand by actually knowing what an Albedo is:

If you think the Sun has no reflectivity you are wrong. And if you think that the moon does not radiate by itself (apart from reflecting sunlight), you are also wrong. What is your level in Astrophysics?

If you want to understand more about what you're talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Radiative-Processes-Astrophysics-George-Rybicki/dp/0471827592

Wow, you really didn't comprehend the argument did you.. The sun reflecting it's own light is not the problem son. You can take the time stare at the sun and tell me if you see a crater, or any land features. Hell, turn a flashlight on and flash it in someones face and ask them if they can see any scratches or lens textures. If you want to get technical, Stars would have an Albedo of 100 (which is why most consider them without an albedo since they are the producers or sources of light). You comeback when you fully grasp the context of my posts above ;) And if you read that book, it will concur with the links I provided you. And I strongly suggest you learn how to measure the angle of the moon phases in accordance to the position of the sun.

You didn't answer my question about your level in astrophysics, but your answer speaks for itself more than you think. Don't try to outrun me on the astrophysics department mate, you're making a fool of yourself...
Quote from: Username
Horentius is correct.

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »

Wow, you really didn't comprehend the argument did you.. The sun reflecting it's own light is not the problem son. You can take the time stare at the sun and tell me if you see a crater, or any land features. Hell, turn a flashlight on and flash it in someones face and ask them if they can see any scratches or lens textures. If you want to get technical, Stars would have an Albedo of 100 (which is why most consider them without an albedo since they are the producers or sources of light). You comeback when you fully grasp the context of my posts above ;) And if you read that book, it will concur with the links I provided you. And I strongly suggest you learn how to measure the angle of the moon phases in accordance to the position of the sun.

You didn't answer my question about your level in astrophysics, but your answer speaks for itself more than you think. Don't try to outrun me on the astrophysics department mate, you're making a fool of yourself...

LMAO.. Is this your supporting evidence for a moon that shines under it's own light? LOL. Clearly you are playing for antiquity here. And let me guess, you are one of those magic anti-moon fans.  ::) BTW (a bit off topic), do you know how parallax is correctly done? As in the use of Radar to determine what the correct distance of the moon from Earth is. And I am hardly making a fool out of myself here. Also, do you understand lambert's law when considering the moon or even a full moon, or the presumed flatness appearance of the moon? I would hope those who read the OP would understand this law and why the moon for the most part is considered Non-Lambertian.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.38.5304%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&rct=j&q=why%20is%20the%20moon%20Non-Lambertian&ei=ObGRTOXON4SdlgfUwamoCg&usg=AFQjCNHcNI5WRWiqey48YPd-NisdhA5xTA&cad=rja

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/publications/pdfs/Oren_SIGGRAPH94.pdf

http://www.planetary.brown.edu/pds/Pieters_NV99_8025.pdf

I tell ya what, you can feel free to lay down your evidence that validates the moon shines by it's own power lol.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:25:44 AM by TheJackel »
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »
LMAO.. Is this your supporting evidence for a moon that shines under it's own light? LOL. Clearly you are playing for antiquity here. And let me guess, you are one of those magic anti-moon fans.  ::) BTW (a bit off topic), do you know how parallax is correctly done? As in the use of Radar to determine what the correct distance of the moon from Earth is. And I am hardly making a fool out of myself here. Also, do you understand lambert's law when considering the moon or even a full moon, or the presumed flatness appearance of the moon? I would hope those who read the OP would understand this law and why the moon for the most part is considered Non-Lambertian.

I'm not a Flat Earth proponent, Einstein. Where did you get that prejudice from? And you don't have to teach me about parallax mate. I happen to know all about it, and it has nothing to do with radar. You are confusing two methods of determining the distance to the moon... Your level in Astrophysics is not sufficient to teach me, stop making a fool of yourself.

I tell ya what, you can feel free to lay down your evidence that validates the moon shines by it's own power lol.

I didn't give you the link to that astrophysics book for nothing mate. Each object radiates its own thermal light, and so does the Moon. If you want to understand how that works, I suggest you order and study the book.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:12:24 PM by Hortensius »
Quote from: Username
Horentius is correct.

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
I'm not a Flat Earth proponent, Einstein. Where did you get that prejudice from? And you don't have to teach me about parallax mate. I happen to know all about it, and it has nothing to do with radar. You are confusing two methods of determining the distance to the moon... Your level in Astrophysics is not sufficient to teach me, stop making a fool of yourself.

Obviously I do have to teach you about Parallax because they use Radar in conjunction with Parallax to determine not only the distance of the moon, but the Sun as well. Venus plays a key role here btw. I have clearly stated this in another thread son.

I didn't give you the link to that astrophysics book for nothing mate. Each object radiates its own thermal light, and so does the Moon. If you want to understand how that works, I suggest you order and study the book.

You can feel free to give us a lesson in astrophysics to which will show the moon radiating that brightly from Earth all on it's own. And do please explain the phases of the moon in regards to that argument since you claim to be so acquainted with astrophysics. And I am fully aware that the moon radiates heat. Thermodynamics clearly shows that it will radiate heat. A good example is that you don't see ourselves glowing in a pitch black room do you? So please give us a physics lesson on how the moon is producing it's own visible light all on it's own.  And this is ignoring the fact that all the data show's it to be reflecting sunlight. In fact I want you to substantiate that it's not reflecting sunlight.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:44:18 PM by TheJackel »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:18 AM »
I've looked at the moon with my own eyes.  The moon looks round to me.

Me too. It appears to be a disk.

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »

you need glasses then lol.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 09:00:58 AM »

Nope, not a disk.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.