[REDACTED]

• 133 Replies
?

zork

Re: Why RE will never win here
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2010, 04:11:49 AM »
Do list for us all these tests that you're conducting. Oh, and we'd love to see and review the experimental design of each. Should there be a whole forum dedicated to this huge effort? Or could it be that no one on the FE side of the argument ever bothers to do a proper experiment?
They just like to say that, it has no actual meaning... But talking about coming up with different ideas... there must be wrong something with original idea when you come up with another one. I would like to know what is wrong about the idea the earth being round and how people notice it that it's wrong. If someone now want to say that "the piece of ground around me is flat and so I started to wonder if the whole earth is flat" then spare me.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
but here, as with all areas of science, it takes years -- if not decades -- to thoroughly test, retest, and strain a theory through the sieve of truth before dismissing it as false.

Hilarious. None of this dismisses the fact that you need to believe in something to theorise upon it.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
but here, as with all areas of science, it takes years -- if not decades -- to thoroughly test, retest, and strain a theory through the sieve of truth before dismissing it as false.

Hilarious. None of this dismisses the fact that you need to believe in something to theorise upon it.

Or, you could just ask a lawyer.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  May I submit that you are perhaps projecting your exceptionally poor imagination upon others?

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2010, 04:23:52 AM »

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  May I submit that you are perhaps projecting your exceptionally poor imagination upon others?

No.

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »

This whole Forum might actually be the most weird thing Ive seen in a long time. For my first post, I would like to give this discussion a hint:
There's a little difference between hypothesis and theory.
Surely Mr. Roundy cannot theorize about something that he believes not to be true. That would indeed not make sense. He can hypothesize about it, however. His hypothesis would become a theory when it is sound and in accordance with what can be proven using scientific methods. In that case, he will surely believe in it, too, because "theorizing" implies that he is proving a hypothesis to be true. It's quite paradox to prove something and still not even believing in it yourself. I don't think that's possible.

However I would accept a shizophrenia-ill person to argue, that part of him theorizes, and another disbelieves in his own theories. Maybe that's the case. I doubt though, because I can see no way to ever find any proof for this ridiculous hypothesis of a flat earth in the first place.
English is not my mother tongue, please consider this when reading my posts.
Quote from: anteater7171
Why is australia excluded?
Because it is a lie propagated by the conspiracy (like gravity or sustained spaceflight).
I lived a lie

?

clovis2

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2010, 10:39:09 PM »
As a Flat Earth Believer I can only say that the Truth always has and will prevail.With all due respect to RE's.

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2010, 01:03:34 AM »
As a Flat Earth Believer I can only say that the Truth always has and will prevail.With all due respect to RE's.

Yes, it will. That's why almost everyone believes in the TRUE round Earth. The RE model predicts with incredible accuracy every phenomena we can observe: seasons, tides, moon phases, day duration, travel distances, etc... Your theory can't help you to go from Italy to Brasil; your theory doesn't predict anything. So, according to you, Earth is flat because you say so, you have no proof, no evidence.

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2010, 03:38:34 AM »

Do you actually?
No, no really, I can't believe anyone here actually believes this shit. This must be the most troll-inhibiting place in the internets. Right after /b/ :P
Because it is a lie propagated by the conspiracy (like gravity or sustained spaceflight).
I lived a lie

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
From what I understand clovis is one of the older members of the FES and his tenure stretches far back before this site existed.

I also believe.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

?

zork

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
As a Flat Earth Believer I can only say that the Truth always has and will prevail.
I understand at last. That's why FET hasn't gained any considerable support in the history of the mankind. It isn't the Truth.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
As a Flat Earth Believer I can only say that the Truth always has and will prevail.
I understand at last. That's why FET hasn't gained any considerable support in the history of the mankind. It isn't the Truth.
Any considerable support?  In the history of mankind?  I suggest you check your facts.

?

zork

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »
Any considerable support?  In the history of mankind?  I suggest you check your facts.
I checked.
-

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
I checked.

For a long time people supported flat earth belief, both "scientifically" as well as religiously.  Most major religions are flat earth religions.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
Most major religions are were flat earth religions.

Fixed.
That would depend on how literally you take their ancient texts.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

zork

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
I checked.

For a long time people supported flat earth belief, both "scientifically" as well as religiously.  Most major religions are flat earth religions.

For a long time? How long? And how many people? And "scientifically"? What science it was that showed entire earth to be flat some 6-5..3 thousands year ago? I just can't take that being "considerable" when some local tribes believe that the earth is flat when they have no way knowing how large the earth really is. They were just like FET people now. Sitting on the piece of land, looking it and not seeing further decided that this is all. So, yes, I accept that the idea of flat earth is way more older but having considerable support... no way. But... if I take ignorance in account then I must admit defeat. It's really have been supported considerably by ignorance.
-

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »

Fixed.
We are talking within the context of the history of man.  There used to be more religions than there are now. The majority of those are flat earth religions.

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »

Fixed.
We are talking within the context of the history of man.  There used to be more religions than there are now. The majority of those are flat earth religions.

Yeah, and most of thos religions believe that the sun and moon are gods. They didn't know anything. But when mankind began to progress with the scientist method, these "beliefs" where discarded, and flat earth theories abandoned. But you can continue believing that earth is flat, without any proof. As I can believe that the Sun is a god and you cannot prove it isn't, can't you?

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 06:54:58 AM »
Why doesn't any of you charter a plane, take all FE Believers with you, and have a little journey around the world?

I for my self can say, you fucking idiots must have never left home ever in your entire life. Ive been travelling around the globe a couple of times and I can ensure you there is no such thing as a flat earth. I wonder what believe structures you base your theories on. Is it a christian dogma?

Do you realise how man planes leave this earth day after day for hours and hours? Do you really believe that all pilots, all airlines, all government and anyhow everything in this world follows an incredibly large dogma made up by some fools because they thought to be funny? Who invented the RET if its such a lie? Do you have any idea of the economic factors that would influence such a thing? The profit that one airline could make if you FEers were right and the REers were wrong is phenomenal, simply by reducing time of flight and fuel costs. This is ridiculous.
I lived a lie

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »

Fixed.

Yeah, and most of thos religions believe that the sun and moon are gods. They didn't know anything. But when mankind began to progress with the scientist method, these "beliefs" where discarded, and flat earth theories abandoned. But you can continue believing that earth is flat, without any proof. As I can believe that the Sun is a god and you cannot prove it isn't, can't you?
I didn't say their beliefs were well founded.  I said they were considerable support.

?

zork

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
I didn't say their beliefs were well founded.  I said they were considerable support.
Yes, they were considerably supported by ignorance.
-

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
Perhaps, but considerable none the less.  Especially considering great races such as the Mayans and Egyptians.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
There used to be more religions than there are now. The majority of those are flat earth religions.

There is no evidence for this claim.

Also. More religions /= major religions. A pygmy in a mud hut thinking the earth is flat is not a major religion.

?

zork

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
Perhaps, but considerable none the less.  Especially considering great races such as the Mayans and Egyptians.
Great compared to what? As for now they were local tribes sitting in their piece of land and not knowing anything about other places.
-

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »
Great compared to what? As for now they were local tribes sitting in their piece of land and not knowing anything about other places.
The Mayans and Egyptians have made huge contributions to the human race in astronomy and other scientific fields.  Little known fact, the Egyptians were one of the first to use antibiotics.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »
There used to be more religions than there are now. The majority of those are flat earth religions.

Also. More religions /= major religions. A pygmy in a mud hut thinking the earth is flat is not a major religion.
Most texts of major religions currently are written from a flat earth perspective. Simply read them, or do a search here where I know there have been at least 3 threads discussing pagan, judeo, and other major religious beliefs in reference to FE.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:03 PM »
Most texts of major religions currently are written from a flat earth perspective.

?

zork

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
The Mayans and Egyptians have made huge contributions to the human race in astronomy and other scientific fields.  Little known fact, the Egyptians were one of the first to use antibiotics.
And it still doesn't make go away the fact that they were ignorant about other parts of the earth. In the context of whole earth they were and are going to be local tribes sitting in their piece of land. And being ignorant about the shape of the earth. Whatever shape it may be.
-

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
You said they weren't considerable.  I'd say that those that invented astronomy were considerable, whether right or wrong.

?

zork

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
You said they weren't considerable.  I'd say that those that invented astronomy were considerable, whether right or wrong.
Fine with me. It all depends in what angle you look at them.
-