If the Earth is flat...

• 13 Replies
?

earthworm3

If the Earth is flat...
« on: July 15, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
how come I didnt fly over the north pole when I flew to Japan? (I live in America)

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
Re: If the Earth is flat...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
how come I didnt fly over the north pole when I flew to Japan? (I live in America)

Because you obviously took the circular path across the US to Japan because we are that bad with navigation cough cough.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
Why is the computer in an airplane programmed to account for the curvature of the earth? 
Why are certain long roads purposely manipulated from the, as the crow flys route so as to account for the curvature of the earth so they can be straight on the map?
Why is it night on Australia now and day here?
What about all the photos of a round earth? and ifs its a conspiracy to withhold information why would anyone want to hide it?
If the earth is flat why has gravity not enacted on it like everything else or more specifically when the earth was diffuse matter why how did it break the laws of gravity?
Eratosthenes noted that, on the summer solstice, the sun casts no shadow in Syene but he knew that it casts a shadow in Alexandria, corresponding to an angle ? = 7o 12'. He reasoned that the change in angle of the shadow was caused by the spherical shape of the Earth and that it would be possible from this angle to obtain the circumference of the Earth.I will assume you guys are familiar with this so i won't belabor it, but i would like to no why this is wrong?
Has anyone seen the earth from space in your opinion? Can it be made demonstrable its flat?
If its flat what holds the earth in place or what does it stand upon and how do you know?
Where is the edge of the earth in you opinion on a map and why has no one been able to go there?
Thank you

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:07 PM »
Why is the computer in an airplane programmed to account for the curvature of the earth? 
Why are certain long roads purposely manipulated from the, as the crow flys route so as to account for the curvature of the earth so they can be straight on the map?
What about all the photos of a round earth? and ifs its a conspiracy to withhold information why would anyone want to hide it?
If the earth is flat why has gravity not enacted on it like everything else or more specifically when the earth was diffuse matter why how did it break the laws of gravity?
Eratosthenes noted that, on the summer solstice, the sun casts no shadow in Syene but he knew that it casts a shadow in Alexandria, corresponding to an angle ? = 7o 12'. He reasoned that the change in angle of the shadow was caused by the spherical shape of the Earth and that it would be possible from this angle to obtain the circumference of the Earth.I will assume you guys are familiar with this so i won't belabor it, but i would like to no why this is wrong?
Has anyone seen the earth from space in your opinion? Can it be made demonstrable its flat?
If its flat what holds the earth in place or what does it stand upon and how do you know?
Where is the edge of the earth in you opinion on a map and why has no one been able to go there?
Thank you

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »

I think the more important question is why you didn't fly over the north pole if the Earth is round, as it's really six of one and half a dozen of the other.  It might be because conditions are dangerous over the north pole.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Atom Man

• Watch out for that tree
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »

I think the more important question is why you didn't fly over the north pole if the Earth is round, as it's really six of one and half a dozen of the other.  It might be because conditions are dangerous over the north pole.

How about you take a look at a Globe before responding to a question like this? Or is this as annoying as saying read the FAQ?
Urinal Etiquette is like Ghost Busting: Never Cross the Streams

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »

How about you take a look at a Globe before responding to a question like this? Or is this as annoying as saying read the FAQ?
Lol
The northern polar route would be the shortest and the same route on both the flat earth and round earth models.  Polar operations, however, have various safety concerns such as insufficient alternate airports for unplanned diversions, cold weather equipment requirements, cold fuel management, etc.  Please read the FAQ.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

Lol
The northern polar route would be the shortest and the same route on both the flat earth and round earth models.  Polar operations, however, have various safety concerns such as insufficient alternate airports for unplanned diversions, cold weather equipment requirements, cold fuel management, etc.  Please read the FAQ.
Incorrect. The Great Circle that intersects Chicago and Tokyo goes over the Bering Sea, not the North Pole. Reference: http://yfrog.com/2cgreatcirclej The shortest routes are different between the models. Google Earth will draw that for you, or you can track real-time aviation of such a flight online. Reference: http://flightaware.com/live/. Don't rely on the FAQ, as it's often incorrect, outdated, or inconsistent.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
I think the NYC/Tokyo routes would both essentially be near the Bering Straight which is the route I thought the drawing depicted, not a Chicago/Tokyo route.  Both non-stop routes would require long stretches over cold, sparsely populated areas and require specialized equipment.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:04 PM »
I think the NYC/Tokyo routes would both essentially be near the Bering Straight which is the route I thought the drawing depicted, not a Chicago/Tokyo route.  Both non-stop routes would require long stretches over cold, sparsely populated areas and require specialized equipment.
Incorrect. While I agree that the NYC/Tokyo route would be slight farther north, it would not be the "polar" route  that would be shortest in FE. Please provide evidence that flight over or very near the poles are avoid due to "require long stretches over cold, sparsely populated areas and require specialized equipment" as you imply.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
Thank you

Thank you for your response, i apologize i don't see any rules do you have a link please?
Where is it you would prefer me to ask my questions and i shall happily re post them for you or someone else to answer?

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »
Thank you

Thank you for your response, i apologize i don't see any rules do you have a link please?
Where is it you would prefer me to ask my questions and i shall happily re post them for you or someone else to answer?

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=1499.0

Specifically the section about derailing threads. Please make a new thread to ask questions unrelated to the OP. Also, read the FAQ and use the search function to make sure your questions haven't already been answered elsewhere.

?

Atheist PhD

• God is not real and the earth is not flat
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »

IF the world is flat, then why is the weather at the POLE colder and dryer than other places?  Wouldn't the angle of the sun be the same on a flat plane, therefore NOT affecting the earth differently?

Lol
Incorrect. The Great Circle that intersects Chicago and Tokyo goes over the Bering Sea, not the North Pole. Reference: http://yfrog.com/2cgreatcirclej The shortest routes are different between the models. Google Earth will draw that for you, or you can track real-time aviation of such a flight online. Reference: http://flightaware.com/live/. Don't rely on the FAQ, as it's often incorrect, outdated, or inconsistent.
If you show me your theories, I'll show you mine.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »
For real fun, give them something in the southern hemisphere to work with.  It forces the conspiracy-with-absolutely-no-evidence card.