I have a question or two

• 46 Replies

Trekky0623

• Official Member
Re: I have a question or two
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »
This thread is stupid.

The belief in the Christian god and the belief in the Big Bang Theory are not mutually exclusive. Sorry if your personal feelings don't reflect this, but it's true and it's stupid to think otherwise. Just because a person believes that the universe started from a hot dense state doesn't mean they also can't believe that a supreme deity created the Universe. Furthermore, don't tell us to "get back on topic". You brought up the topic of religion, which is a whole other can of worms. If you want to discuss flat earth, move up to the top forums.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
How come you take the o out of god and lord, but not the e out of Jesus?

OH, and Trekky this thread was moved from the upper boards down here by a mod. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »
The flat earth is resting on four pillars witch in turn rests on the back of a elaphant....wat n pot kak! Have any of you FE believers ever looked through a telescope? If all the other planets sun and moon are round why the hell will the earth be different? FE....what a lode of kak.
Rules!! I hate RULES!!!

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »
Quote from: Space Cowgirl
How come you take the o out of god and lord, but not the e out of Jesus?

I had thought the squibbling about spiritual issues was unnecessary as well, but since so many people had already pointed it out, I just straightforward answered his questions.

As to your question, there seems to be perhaps somewhat of a jewish influence in his particular faith - at least with respect to this esoteric detail.  It is a custom among many jews not to enunciate what they believe to be the true name of God, and this custom of leaving out the "o" in God is associated with that.

From this perspective, it all makes sense.  In the appellation Lord Jesus Christ, Jesus represents the human aspect of the Son of God, but jews do not believe that He is the Son of God in the first place. 

Therefore, if the source of his tendency to delete the "o" from God never deleted any letters from the name Jesus, then no one who had received this custom would delete the "e" in Jesus either unless they sat down and thought to alter what they had learned.  And this would be the case whether he received this custom from jews directly or indirectly.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 12:52:24 AM »
But if one is being that specific, one should note that the true name is not God
Quantum Ab Hoc

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »
Quote from: John Davis
But if one is being that specific, one should note that the true name is not God

My purpose was not to judge his choice of words one way or another as right or wrong, but to answer 'Space Cowgirl's' "why" by pointing to the most likely source of influence for such an idiosyncracy.   And I have seen jewish writers use and spell the name God as "G_d" precisely like he does.  They do the same thing reguardless of which name is used spelling Jahweh as J_hweh, et cetera.

Anyway, if it is not considered offensive, might I ask what you consider to be the true name of God?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »
Thanks 17, I wondered where that came from.  I've noticed that a few Christians on the internet do that, which always puzzled me since the Christians I know believe that Jesus is God (even if just God in human form).
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Atheist PhD

• God is not real and the earth is not flat
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
1.)  To what extent to you all believe that a supreme being (i.e. G-d created the flat earth disk as opposed to a big bang cosmology of sorts)

So if you believe in the Big Bang, you can't believe in God?

Thank you for your response.  Yes you are correct sir.

Well, then I'm an exception to that rule...

And that would also be a contradiction since one cannot believe in both G-d && the Big Bang.  I would advise you to reconsider your position.

I may have missed this, but then I suppose you think the world is only about 6000 years old, too?
If you show me your theories, I'll show you mine.

?

Atheist PhD

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
1.)  To what extent to you all believe that a supreme being (i.e. G-d created the flat earth disk as opposed to a big bang cosmology of sorts)

I believe God created the world.  I do not believe the big bang theory.

Quote from: CHRISTLIVES!
2.)  How do you all feel about what is under the earth?  What is beneath this flat earth disk?

I should first state that I accept the assertion of Saint Gregory Nazianzus, the fourth century bishop of Constantinople, that angels uphold the earth.  I do not consider that contradictory to the following subterranean cosmology:

I believe that the earth rests upon water which includes the oceans of this world.  Any extent of ocean floor rests upon water underneath it.

Underneath this water is fire.

Underneath this fire is air.

Underneath this air is darkness.

I do not believe it is possible to know what is underneath the darkness.

This subterranean cosmology of water, fire, air, and finally darkness at the lowest level (the four elements) is derived from:

A Cosmological Tract
By Dionysios the Areopagite

This link has the text accompanied by a diagram:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/journals/jras/1917-07.htm

This Dionysios has been considered by most protestants and many secularists since the sixteenth century to be a much later writer who used Dionysios's name (hence the apellation "pseudo-Dionysios").  I believe their conclusion is baseless and mistaken.  I believe that the author of this short essay is the first century (A.D.) greek disciple of Saint Paul mentioned in chapter 17, verse 34 of the Book of Acts:

"So Paul departed from among them. Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them."

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/new-testament/acts/17.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I will quote the relevant passage from the 'Cosmological Tract' which discusses the interaction of the sun's heat with the subterranean water in effecting the seasons.  In reading this, the statement of Saint John Damascus that water is cool by nature should be borne in mind:

"Again, I explain without error to those who possess understanding the variation of the lower sea.

Under the earth is the dreadful sea (containing) much water, and under the water (there is) fire, and under the fire wind, and under the wind darkness, (but) under the darkness do not ask for anything. In the hot days of summer, as soon as the sun mounts to the upper region, to the heat of this firmament, its disc is heated in the heat above, and it heats the earth like an oven of fire. Suddenly the fire under the water is quenched, the waters of the lower sea stand up and the wind of cold blows on them, the cold mounts and ascends from the interior of the earth and passes into the roots of the trees and plants and into the veins of the rocks, and the dust of the earth becomes cold, that the sun may not burn the trees, the seeds, and the plants. For if the cold did not ascend from the interior of the earth the sun would not leave anything without burning it. People, too, would not be able to walk on the earth in consequence of the heat of the fire. Because the surface of the earth from beneath is made like a sponge and its whole interior is made of canals and hollows for the flowing of the water of the streams and springs, and also for the action of the cold and the heat. In the hot days of summer, where there is no water, the animals and the birds dig into the interior of the earth and find cold soil and are relieved by it. The men, too, who are in the southem countries, that is, in the land of Kush and Sheba, dig into the sand of their land during the hot days of summer and, although naked, they are protected and relieved by the coolness.

Another season, the winter.

In the days of winter, as soon as the disc of the sun is thrown to the south to the cold, the storehouses of the wind of snow and ice and blasts and whirlwinds (are opened), and the heat of the sun is assuaged..."

DANG DUDE, you do KNOW this is the year 2010, right??????  We have something called science now, electric lights, cars, flying machines.... Wow.

?

Atheist PhD

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Faith Heads and FE's are about on the same level to me... What is under the earth?  There is NO under the earth, the earth is a sphere, just like the moon, the sun, and all the planets in our solar system, probably in the entire universe.  But, I do have a question, IF the earth is not a planet, WHAT the hell is it and who or what made it?  Was it the Great Butt Monkey?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 02:30:57 AM »
And that would also be a contradiction since one cannot believe in both G-d && the Big Bang.  I would advise you to reconsider your position.

I may have missed this, but then I suppose you think the world is only about 6000 years old, too?

My guess is you are probably correct that he believes the world to be about 6000 years old.  I myself believe that the world is 7518 years old (based upon the Septuagint's chronology).  I know you may consider the difference as negligible, but the reason I answered your question on his behalf was to point out that this 6000 year belief is another indication of jewish influence in his beliefs (as it seems to be with much of protestantism).  The king James bible rejects the ancient septuagint and uses the hebrew masoretic text of jewish scribes (and its chronology) instead of the septuagint text of Christian monks.  There are other differences in these two textual traditions, but my main piont is that you are likely correct in your apprehension of this pattern in his belief.

parsec

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 02:57:55 AM »
Belief in the Big Bang and Theism are not mutually exclusive.

Do you believe in Theism?

I believe theism exists.

?

Atheist PhD

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
And that would also be a contradiction since one cannot believe in both G-d && the Big Bang.  I would advise you to reconsider your position.

My guess is you are probably correct that he believes the world to be about 6000 years old.  I myself believe that the world is 7518 years old (based upon the Septuagint's chronology).  I know you may consider the difference as negligible, but the reason I answered your question on his behalf was to point out that this 6000 year belief is another indication of jewish influence in his beliefs (as it seems to be with much of protestantism).  The king James bible rejects the ancient septuagint and uses the hebrew masoretic text of jewish scribes (and its chronology) instead of the septuagint text of Christian monks.  There are other differences in these two textual traditions, but my main piont is that you are likely correct in your apprehension of this pattern in his belief.

Dude, the earth is about four billions years old, which is a few billion more than your guestimate.  Wow, how do you live your life thinking like that, I mean, EVERYTHING that science teaches us goes contrary to your belief system, and yet, there you are, willing to actually believe the earth is only 7500 years old.  Wow...  I know I keep saying it, but WOW....

?

clovis2

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
Do  you all believe in a higher power that created a flat earth as noted in the Holy Bible?  I accept the flat earth model based on science and reason rather than relgious conviction.

I know that the Earth is Flat from observation,from reason and from scripture primarily the ancient Book of Enoch.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 03:20:19 PM »
Dude, the earth is about four billions years old, which is a few billion more than your guestimate.  Wow, how do you live your life thinking like that, I mean, EVERYTHING that science teaches us goes contrary to your belief system, and yet, there you are, willing to actually believe the earth is only 7500 years old.  Wow...  I know I keep saying it, but WOW....

Although I do not keep saying it, I will say it now for the record:

Stupid...I think your belief that the world is billions of years old is simply stupid (and completely anti-scientific).  How could anyone think like that?  You are off on an erroneous and deluded tangent, and the fact that you proselytize so aggressively indicates that not all is well with you internally.

You are sick, and you fail to recognize it.  The Orthodox Church is but a hospital, and its purpose is to cure people.  When a patient who is physically sick curses a doctor and his remedy - does this condemnation make him well? 

I should also say that you do rightly criticize a lot of other things that do need to be criticized (many of which are imposters of Christ - such as your fellow but far more civilized atheist Lord Wilmore perceptively pointed out when he asserted that many popes have been atheists).

That being said, I trust that you will continue to blabber your hatred, and most of us will continue to ignore it.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »
  They do the same thing reguardless of which name is used spelling Jahweh as J_hweh, et cetera.

YHWH is the proper rendition of the Tetragrammaton. The name is considered sacred and not for common use. Vowels are not generally rendered. You will rarely see the use of the Tetragrammaton. Instead, you will see (or hear) A-D-N (or Adonai), or more commonly "Ha'shem".  This treatment is occasionally extended to the English rendition of "G-d". Why the OP doesn't not use Yeshua or omit the vowels from it, I could not say.

1.)  To what extent to you all believe that a supreme being (i.e. G-d created the flat earth disk as opposed to a big bang cosmology of sorts)

I believe God created world. I don't find this at odds with a "big bang cosmology of sorts". 
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
Quote from: Ski
YHWH is the proper rendition of the Tetragrammaton. The name is considered sacred and not for common use. Vowels are not generally rendered. You will rarely see the use of the Tetragrammaton. Instead, you will see (or hear) A-D-N (or Adonai), or more commonly "Ha'shem".  This treatment is occasionally extended to the English rendition of "G-d".

Well put. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

This corroborates our assertion that the influence of a jewish tradition is the cause of the tendency among some to render God as G_d in english.