How come the earth isn't a cylinder?

• 53 Replies

Catchpa

Re: How come the earth isn't a cylinder?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
When the large majority is confused about the FAQ and feels it doesn't answer their questions to a degree of satisfaction, there is something wrong with it.
The problem that FAQ doesn't satisfy someone and they need more exact answer is another problem. And it can't be fixed because there isn't more exact answers.

Well, that is a larger problem in itself.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 04:02:55 AM »
The surface of the known Earth is flat.
Where did the Himalayas go and Alps and other mountains?
You claim the Alps and the Himalayas have gone. Please provide some proof.
I do not claim that. PP said that the known Earth is flat.
The earth is flat, it was you that claimed the Himalayas and the Alps had gone.
If you must come onto this site making such claims, provide some proof.
Are you dyslexic? I didn't claim anything, I asked. There is a big difference.
It's interesting you ask where mountains have gone without claiming they have gone.

Do you claim the North Yorkshire Moors have gone? I shall be there later today and can verify your claim.

Bear in mind they were there last week.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 06:37:07 AM »
In what way is it inappropriate? Based on what I know of Catchpa, he'd like as little to do with FET as possible. It was not intended as an insult, I was just pointing out that if the FAQ is designed to answer the questions of newcomers with respect to FET and FE'ers, then his views have little bearing upon its content.
I suggest that you never refer to a person as a 'nothing' in any context, especially in this case where it isn't true. He made a good suggestion to improve the FAQ and should be treated with respect for his efforts.

Well actually he didn't make a good suggestion. He made a suggestion which shows that for all his time here, he still misunderstands what the FAQ is for. As do you, apparently.

he'd like as little to do with FET as possible.

Of course Wilmore. This is a great assumption and totally logical because it's not like I've been here for quite some time now and made threads before concerned about the well-being of this site and the content it offers.

Well then, perhaps you can tell me where you stand in terms of the Flat Earth movement. Are you a believer in Flat Earth Theory? Do you help to develop Flat Earth Theory? Do you even support the development of Flat Earth Theory by others? Do you support the Flat Earth Society in equivalent ways? I'm genuinely curious.

It was not intended as an insult, I was just pointing out that if the FAQ is designed to answer the questions of newcomers with respect to FET and FE'ers, then his views have little bearing upon its content.

So you are deliberately misinforming newcomers of the FET. Bear in mind that newcomers are continually confused about your vague FAQ and you have yet to improve it in any way. I've even made suggestions but yet you and other FE'ers refuse to acknowledge that your FAQ(and wiki for that matter) is greatly flawed, and is not a correct representation of the current view of the FE'ers.

In what way am I 'misinforming' newcomers? Like I said, you and I may agree, but there are several FE'ers who disagree, and the FAQ represents them and their views as well. How exactly do you represent "the current view of . . .  FE'ers" when several of them believe in mutually exclusive ideas and concepts?

You still seem to be fundamentally confused about the purpose of the FAQ. It is here to provide useful answers to questions newcomers may ask. There is no FET God who decides what is or isn't the right answer. There are fundamental differences among FE'ers, and to pretend they don't exist by privileging some views above others will only lead to more confusion when newcomers encounter the excluded views anyway (which they will), and leave those who hold those views feeling excluded.

If you do not even understand the purpose of the FAQ, then you should not make suggestions about how to improve it.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Catchpa

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »
And you don't understand what misinforming means. The FAQ presents the Ice Wall as if it were a factual object, but everyone can agree that there is absolutely no proof of an Ice Wall.

Hell, you're still keeping the joke post made on how many is in on the conspiracy. If you want people to take you serious, then start with the basics for newcomers or people will continually laugh in your face when they read it.

?

zork

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
It's interesting you ask where mountains have gone without claiming they have gone.
Yes, I ask without claiming. I can't understand how you claim something with question? But as I see yo really don't get the flow then I walk you over step-by-step.
PP said(we may also say that he claimed) - Known earth is flat.
In the flat land there is no mountains, it's flat. Look for the definition from the dictionary.
So, as I last knew there were mountains on the earth and I just asked, where they have gone.
And for more exact explaining, it wasn't really serious question, rather play on the words. So, I let it go after PP's answer.
But you just had to come after that and play dense person.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »
I can now verify that the North Yorkshire moors have not disappeared in the last week.

?

zork

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 02:20:36 AM »
I can now verify that the North Yorkshire moors have not disappeared in the last week.
Nice, you perfectly demonstrated your denseness.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 05:32:18 AM »
And you don't understand what misinforming means. The FAQ presents the Ice Wall as if it were a factual object, but everyone can agree that there is absolutely no proof of an Ice Wall.

Where in the FAQ does it state that there is proof of the ice wall? All the FAQ does is state that some FE'ers believe there is an ice wall, which is undeniable. The FAQ isn't misleading anyone.

Hell, you're still keeping the joke post made on how many is in on the conspiracy. If you want people to take you serious, then start with the basics for newcomers or people will continually laugh in your face when they read it.

Those posts do not state how many are in The Conspiracy. They simply speculates as to how few might be needed, and never present themselves as a statements of fact. For example, here is the conclusion of Dioptimus Drime's post on the numbers needed for The Conspiracy:

As you can see, the conspiracy is not only logical, but it's, in its own way, actually quite plausible. With all of these concepts in your face, it's hard to refute AT LEAST the possibility of a conspiracy covering up the shape of the Earth.

The post was not a joke, nor an attempt to prove the existence of The Conspiracy. It was simply an attempt to show its possibility, and convince people that such a conspiracy could exist. It was made because people frequently assert that The Conspiracy would have to be huge to succeed, and frequently asked how that was possible. The post is included in the FAQ for the simple reason that it answers that frequently asked question.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Catchpa

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
Except that it's not plausible in any way if you read his ideas in the post.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:12 AM »
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58.
Quote from: mazty88 on 17 June 2009, 14:05:14
Damn you are thick.
you f*ckwit.
So you're the kind of mentally challenged retard
You are an embarrassment to this country

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58.
Quote from: mazty88 on 17 June 2009, 14:05:14
Damn you are thick.
you f*ckwit.
So you're the kind of mentally challenged retard
You are an embarrassment to this country

Can you please stay on topic with the thread, I love how i got banned(without a warning) for doing something stupid like this, but of course when someones is trying to mess with an RE'r there is no admin to tell him otherwise.

Unless you are unable to change yourself in the morning you should have completely understood his point. If the surface of the Earth is flat, he was making the reference if it was truly flat there would be no mountains, hills, or depressions, everything would literally be FLAT.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
PP said(we may also say that he claimed) - The known Earth is flat.
On the a flat land there is are no mountains,; it's flat. Look for the definition from in the a dictionary.
AH ME GOD DEE URTH IS NOT ROUND BECAUSE THERE ARE MOUNTAINS AND IT'S ALSO NOT A SPHERE, BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY ISN'T WTF. YOU ARE WRONG, RET DEBUNKED.
Seriously, the usage of "flat" and "round" is one of the worst clichés you may have pulled out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:27:49 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

zork

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
On the a flat land there is are no mountains,; it's flat. Look for the definition from in the a dictionary.
AH ME GOD DEE URTH IS NOT ROUND BECAUSE THERE ARE MOUNTAINS AND IT'S ALSO NOT A SPHERE, BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY ISN'T WTF. YOU ARE WRONG, RET DEBUNKED.
Seriously, the usage of "flat" and "round" is one of the worst clichés you may have pulled out.
You missed the part where i said that it was more like the play on words. It really didn't have any deeper meaning. But I guess some people just don't get it...
-

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »
You missed the part where i said that it was more like the play on words. It really didn't have any deeper meaning. But I guess some people just don't get it...
You missed the part when this has been done a billion times. And the mockery in that quote.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »

According to you. Out of interest, is there anything in the FAQ that you do consider plausible?

Catchpa

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »

According to you. Out of interest, is there anything in the FAQ that you do consider plausible?

Yes.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
Well, you're not being very forthcoming, which if I remember correctly was the problem when I last tried to suggested improvements from you. I'll have to try and fill in the blanks I guess.

It seems to me that you believe anything you don't consider plausible should be removed from the FAQ. However, as I have stated on several occasions, the purpose of the FAQ is not to represent subjective views about how 'plausible' something is as objective truth. After all, James is a strong advocate of Rowbotham's 'perspective' theory, and believes that any ideas about light bending are nonsense, yet such ideas are still included in the FAQ because some FE'ers support them.

The FAQ's purpose is to answer frequently asked questions about Flat Earth Theory and the beliefs FE'ers hold. As there are FE'ers who believe that the post in question presents at least some valid points regarding the possibility of The Conspiracy, it serves the purpose of the FAQ and is thus worth including.

Your criticisms seem to be about FET and belief in The Conspiracy, not the FAQ itself. Again, I suggest you take note of the distinction.

Catchpa

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
Newcomers are generally confused about the answers in the FAQ. I suggest that better answers are provided, in the fashion as the link to the 40-men conspiracy is.

EA should be removed as I have yet to see any FE'ers who seriously believe in it.

And again it falls back to my point that your FAQ is outdated.

And what are these improvements you have suggested?

Catchpa

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »
Though I don't have time to talk about stuff I've already said. Take a look at my thread: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=38738.20 and read it, something which you're not very good at(But at least try).

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
Newcomers are generally confused about the answers in the FAQ. I suggest that better answers are provided, in the fashion as the link to the 40-men conspiracy is.

I don't understand. Are you criticising the views of FE'ers (represented by the answers), or the way those answers are explained? If the former, then once again, your criticism is misplaced at best. If the latter, how would you improve the answers? In what respect are they deficient?

Outdated how? Are there more modern, recent answers that should take the place of those given? If so, could you identify which questions/answers are outdated, and why?

Though I don't have time to talk about stuff I've already said. Take a look at my thread: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=38738.20 and read it, something which you're not very good at(But at least try).

As you well know, I not only read that thread, but participated in it. After much dodging by you, I posted the following:

You've said what you would change. I've got that. I'm asking you how you would change it. Unless you tell us what is wrong with the current FAQ and why, it's very hard for anyone to suggest specific changes (something you should be doing yourself).

I'm asking you what sepcific changes you would make to what is currently written. Please answer properly.

Your response was:

I don't think I'm in a position to write your FAQ, being a believer of the whole round earth theory and stuff you know?

Now, do you have anything more to add, or are you just going to keep telling us that the FAQ is bad, without telling us why?

Raver

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
The FAQ is bad because some of it's ideas are in conflict with FE'ers belief (ie. bendy light) and others are just sheer impossible (ie. a sun which is approx. 35 km in diameter). On the other hand some ideas are plausible, but they are so mixed in with the kind of stuff I just mentioned that whoever is reading it has to figure out themselves what is "wrong" and "right", which is generally not how a FAQ works.
Quote from: Gen. Douchebag
Quote from: Raver
Why? You a pedo out for delicious loli?
Sure, whatever

Catchpa

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2010, 04:09:04 PM »

I don't understand. Are you criticising the views of FE'ers (represented by the answers), or the way those answers are explained? If the former, then once again, your criticism is misplaced at best. If the latter, how would you improve the answers? In what respect are they deficient?

Outdated how? Are there more modern, recent answers that should take the place of those given? If so, could you identify which questions/answers are outdated, and why?

As you well know, I not only read that thread, but participated in it. After much dodging by you, I posted the following:

You've said what you would change. I've got that. I'm asking you how you would change it. Unless you tell us what is wrong with the current FAQ and why, it's very hard for anyone to suggest specific changes (something you should be doing yourself).

I'm asking you what sepcific changes you would make to what is currently written. Please answer properly.

Your response was:

I don't think I'm in a position to write your FAQ, being a believer of the whole round earth theory and stuff you know?

Now, do you have anything more to add, or are you just going to keep telling us that the FAQ is bad, without telling us why?

The thread posted got suggestions on how to improve. Please read it.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
Which suggestions do you support and why? Because I see a lot of suggested improvements which fall foul of the same misunderstanding I spoke of earlier.

If you're really interested in improving the FAQ, you'll tell me what needs fixing, why, and how you suggest fixing it. Otherwise, there is very little I can do.

?

Atheist PhD

• God is not real and the earth is not flat
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »

No, no there isn't... I'm sorry to say.
If you show me your theories, I'll show you mine.