Methods of Proving the Theories?

• 4 Replies
?

Loopyeyes

Methods of Proving the Theories?
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
Just wondering if there are any methods of proving FE or RET, either that or making one sound more credible than the other.

My first thought would be to pull a "Sphereland" to (dis)prove the Earth's curvature by making a huge triangle, using 3 specific points on the earth connected by straight lines. After measuring the angles (through trig or whatever, I'm definitely not a math genius haha), add them up. If there is a significant deviation, the Earth is curved. If it perfectly adds up to 180 degrees, then it is flat.

Not sure how hard this would be to pull of, it's just an idea.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Methods of Proving the Theories?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Just wondering if there are any methods of proving FE or RET, either that or making one sound more credible than the other.

My first thought would be to pull a "Sphereland" to (dis)prove the Earth's curvature by making a huge triangle, using 3 specific points on the earth connected by straight lines. After measuring the angles (through trig or whatever, I'm definitely not a math genius haha), add them up. If there is a significant deviation, the Earth is curved. If it perfectly adds up to 180 degrees, then it is flat.

Not sure how hard this would be to pull of, it's just an idea.

Thanks for reading!

Makes perfect sense. I predict 180+ degrees ;)
Quote from: Username
Horentius is correct.

Raver

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »
I am a RE'er so I would like to say that this would work, but it won't since it assumes smooth surfaces on both the FE and RE. You could negate this by using enourmous distances but in that case the experiment becomes almost impossible to do.
Quote from: Gen. Douchebag
Quote from: Raver
Why? You a pedo out for delicious loli?
Sure, whatever

?

Atheist PhD

• God is not real and the earth is not flat
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »
Well, let's see, we have volumes of data that have been collected by credible scientists over the course of nearly four hundred years now, that show us the earth is a sphere.  There isn't really a "Round Earth Theory" there is a round earth knowledge, and a "Flat Earth Theory".  Anyone, in my humble opinion, who really believes the FET propoganda, is a bit odd.

Folks, we are talking about the greatest minds in the world, men like Einstein and Hawking, who have NEVER written a single word on the Earth being flat.  To my knowledge, not a single reputable scientist, has joined the FET camp.  When scientific journals begin to print FET papers, by REAL university educated scientists, who have empirical evidence, NOT anything based on Christian or biblical lore, then and only then will I begin to consider this a reputable idea.
If you show me your theories, I'll show you mine.

?

Loopyeyes

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »
To clarify, I should have said connect two points using lines that contain the shortest distance, instead of saying "straight lines". Obviously, straight lines would be impossible on a curved earth. The new phrase would work for both FE and RE.