Why

• 34 Replies

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
Re: Why
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »
I'm just trying to understand in what context thought experiments are valid, that's all.  As a Flat Earth Believer, perhaps you could provide some guidance.
First of all, me being a FEB is irrelevant. Generally, thought experiments can only constitute evidence for philosophical queries, such as Einstein using the rocket-elevator to explain the Equivalence principle. They can not constitute evidence for, say, proving that the Earth is round or flat.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
I'm just trying to understand in what context thought experiments are valid, that's all.  As a Flat Earth Believer, perhaps you could provide some guidance.
First of all, me being a FEB is irrelevant. Generally, thought experiments can only constitute evidence for philosophical queries, such as Einstein using the rocket-elevator to explain the Equivalence principle. They can not constitute evidence for, say, proving that the Earth is round or flat.
Then thought experiments can be used to demonstrate a "proof of concept", so to speak.  That is, if the earth were of a particular shape, then certain phenomena should be observable and certain processes should work in a particular way.  Would you agree with this assessment?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:20:23 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »
Then thought experiments can be used to demonstrate a "proof of concept", so to speak.  Would you agree?
I believe that through experiments can and have proven many important Facts. The color of the perfect emitter in thermodynamics, for one.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
Then thought experiments can be used to demonstrate a "proof of concept", so to speak.  That is, if the earth were of a particular shape, then certain phenomena should be observable and certain processes should work in a particular way.  Would you agree with this assessment?
Generally, yes.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
Generally, yes.
Thank you.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.