Round Earth from a Balloon

• 66 Replies

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
Re: Round Earth from a Balloon
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
How could anyone possibly see a line from that far away? This discussion is ridiculous.
I'm not suggesting you couldn't see that far away, just that you couldn't see a red line from that far away. Have you ever observed an individual line from 90 million miles away? Or 9 miles away for that matter?

Administrators should not troll.  
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
How could anyone possibly see a line from that far away? This discussion is ridiculous.
I'm not suggesting you couldn't see that far away, just that you couldn't see a red line from that far away. Have you ever observed an individual line from 90 million miles away? Or 9 miles away for that matter?

Administrators should not troll.  

Unless trolling is the entire point of the site, in which case administrators should be the best trolls.

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
i saw levee's vids, and none of them showed anything regarding distance.  The only thing it showed is that ISS is closer to us than the sun.  

Since we have a rough idea at how big ISS is, we can tell how far away it is.  But we've never had the sun on earth, but based on the amount of heat we get from it, we should be able to calculate the closest ISS could be to the sun without melting.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »
I'm not suggesting you couldn't see that far away, just that you couldn't see a red line from that far away.

You could if it was a big, honkin' line.

Have you ever observed an individual line from 90 million miles away? Or 9 miles away for that matter?

Well, Tom says that he watches kids splashing 33 miles away across Monterey Bay all the time.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
Well, Tom says that he watches kids splashing 33 miles away across Monterey Bay all the time.

So he uses a high-powered telescope to stalk kids from a distance, but he can't point it up to observe the phenomena we post about all the time?

:-X

Trolling makes me angry.

Lorddave

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »
I had a thought...

The general argument about why you can't see the whole Earth is that the area you see is the sun's spotlight and the rest has no sunlight.

So why can't we see the brightly lit cities?  According to FET, the sun is magnified as it passes through the atmosphere.  This is why it doesn't decrease in size when it sets (ie get's farther away).  So therefore, the same thing should happen to London or Hong-Kong or New York yet we NEVER see the lights in those curved shots.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
The brightness of the atmosphere (or atmodisc/atmoplane) in these shots could drown out city lights, the same it would do to stars during daylight.  Although according to this theory, if I were to look north at night, I'd see quite a bright bit of illuminated atmowhatever where the sunlight is shining through it, but I don't, so I'm not sure about it.