Why The Earth Appears Curved at a High Altitude.

• 295 Replies
Re: Why The Earth Appears Curved at a High Altitude.
« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »
Its not really subtle zoom in and you can see it with a ruler. I suspect what you may have there is barrel distortion.

« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
Its not really subtle zoom in and you can see it with a ruler. I suspect what you may have there is barrel distortion.

Kk, well i guess i stand corrected, however could it not also just as easily be the curvature?

« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Why does this distortion always have the edges down and the center up? That's like no optical distortion that I've ever heard of.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
Sorry? Maybe im missing something. I though barrel distortion caused the centre of an image to bulge away from the centre line. So I think that if that horizon was below the midline it would make the Earth look concave. Maybe ive got it the wrong way round in which case I think its called pincushion. It could be a real effect I guess but i'd be suprised.

Lorddave

« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2010, 03:05:10 PM »
Im sorry, im new to posting on forums, so i could (and have) put a straight line on it, however i am clueless as how to re-upload the edited picture.

You have to host it with tinypic or a similar site.

I prefer photobucket.

Anyway there is a curve.  However, because the horizon is fuzzy, the curve is only about 5 pixels from center to end.  It's visible but difficult to define.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
Why does this distortion always have the edges down and the center up? That's like no optical distortion that I've ever heard of.

Look up barrel distortion.

?

zork

« Reply #216 on: July 09, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »

Kk, well i guess i stand corrected, however could it not also just as easily be the curvature?
You really can't see the curvature of the earth at ground level. There is quite good paper about that - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
 And if you want more reading about determining round earth then Turbulent ship wakes: further evidence that the Earth is round
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »

I looked it up. There's nothing about it causing the edges down and the center up.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2010, 03:21:58 PM »

I looked it up. There's nothing about it causing the edges down and the center up.

Well, here's a diagram from the wikipedia page on distortion that may illuminate things for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Barrel_distortion.svg

Note that toward the top of the image, where the supposed curvature in the photograph is taking place, the edges are level and the arc peaks in the middle of the diagram.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:28:07 PM by Roundy the Truthinessist »
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

Good thing we never said anything about the center being distorted. Where the "curvature" is, is not the center.

« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2010, 03:34:20 PM »

Well, here's a diagram from the wikipedia page on distortion that may illuminate things for you:

I understand the point. So the hypothesis is not just that there's a barrel distortion, but also that the horizon is very near the top of the original photo.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:05:08 PM by ClockTower »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »

I understand the point. So the hypothesis is not just that there's a barrel distortion, but only that it horizon is very near the top of the original photo.

Could you reitterate this? I'm not sure what you are saying...
At first you say that there is barrel distortion,
So the hypothesis is not just that there's a barrel distortion
and then you say that there isn't any?
but only that it horizon is very near the top of the original photo.

I'm confused.  :P

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »

I understand the point. So the hypothesis is not just that there's a barrel distortion, but only that it horizon is very near the top of the original photo.

If you could express that intelligibly I might be able to answer it.  ???
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

PizzaPlanet

• google
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
And thank you for respecting my lack of knowledge rather than ripping me for it as Pizzaplanet seems to have done :/
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=40620.0
Aww, RM is just shits and giggles, bro. Don't get offended :(. Feel free to make a topic in RM about me being a pretzel, and you'll see me confirming this fact. Promise.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »

I understand the point. So the hypothesis is not just that there's a barrel distortion, but also that the horizon is very near the top of the original photo.
Sorry. Fixed

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »

Sorry. Fixed
Thank you. :)

Yes and no. There is barrel distortion, but that doesn't mean something has to be near the edge for it to be distorted. Anything that is not the center is going to have distortion.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:30:11 PM by EnglshGentleman »

Lorddave

« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
Best way to see that the curvature is to actually look at the waves.
According to FE, you should see the waves in the far off distance get smaller and smaller (blurrier and blurrier)until they vanish.  The reality, however, is that they don't.  You see waves up to a point with a fair bit of clarity then they abruptly stop.  You know, in your mind, there are more waves across the Ocean but you can't see them even though you should be able to.

« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2010, 04:48:46 PM »
And thank you for respecting my lack of knowledge rather than ripping me for it as Pizzaplanet seems to have done :/
Aww, RM is just shits and giggles, bro. Don't get offended :(. Feel free to make a topic in RM about me being a pretzel, and you'll see me confirming this fact. Promise.

That's ok, im just not used to this kind of stuff really :D it's all cool know :)

PizzaPlanet

• google
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »

That's ok, im just not used to this kind of stuff really :D it's all cool know :)
Yay <3
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #229 on: July 11, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
With the barrel distortion argument, if the picture were taken facing even slightly above the horizon, it would curve in the opposite direction, which is precisely why pongo's window lensing fails (though it is only one reason of many).  I guess people somehow missed this post:

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »
With the barrel distortion argument, if the picture were taken facing even slightly above the horizon, it would curve in the opposite direction

Good thing where the "horizon" is, is in the top portion of the picture, so it's bending agrees with barrel distortion.

Btw, you should fix that picture, you can barely even understand what you are talking about the writing is so sloppy.

« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:19 PM »
Good thing where the "horizon" is, is in the top portion of the picture, so it's bending agrees with barrel distortion.

What?  You should fix that post.  I can't understand what you're talking about when you make no sense.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »

What?  You should fix that post.  I can't understand what you're talking about when you make no sense.

With the barrel distortion argument, if the picture were taken facing even slightly above the horizon, it would curve in the opposite direction, which is precisely why pongo's window lensing fails (though it is only one reason of many).

The picture wasn't taken slightly above the "horizon". The "horizon" is easily above the center of the picture, so the way it bends is true to barrel distortion.

Raver

« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2010, 11:27:12 AM »

With the barrel distortion argument, if the picture were taken facing even slightly above the horizon, it would curve in the opposite direction, which is precisely why pongo's window lensing fails (though it is only one reason of many).

The picture wasn't taken slightly above the "horizon". The "horizon" is easily above the center of the picture, so the way it bends is true to barrel distortion.

Keep in mind, pictures can be cropped.
Quote from: Gen. Douchebag
Quote from: Raver
Why? You a pedo out for delicious loli?
Sure, whatever

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »

So you are saying the picture has been doctored?

?

ThatGuyWhoLikesScience

« Reply #235 on: July 16, 2010, 01:52:09 AM »
i believe earth is round, but if you go far enough there is a point where the circumcision is present, and there is where you will find the point of contact of the water.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2010, 02:10:11 AM »
i believe earth is round, but if you go far enough there is a point where the circumcision is present, and there is where you will find the point of contact of the water.

I think that your circumcision should have gone further.  For the sake of the gene pool that is.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »

So you are saying the picture has been doctored?

It seems to me the options here are either barrel distortion or that the picture has been doctored.

« Reply #238 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
Good argument. However, the reason the Earth looks curved from a high altitude is actually because it is spherical.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2010, 11:10:17 PM »
Good argument. However, the reason the Earth looks curved from a high altitude is actually because it is spherical.

Awesome argument. You made so many great points there.

This single post gave more insight to the world as we know it than everything else in this thread combined.