Lets talk about navigation.

• 21 Replies

The Question1

• Your logic is inferior to my logic.
Lets talk about navigation.
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »
Specifically,we are talking about navigating in the southern hemisphere on the FE map displayed in the FAQ(the icewall model.)
First,i am going to state the obvious.Navigating(in the air or on sea) uses a round earth model.That being said if we navigate with the model,it must be the one closer to reality correct?

Well,you could say that maps aren't always representive of reality.Maps however,ARE representive of the DISTANCES between places(the accurate ones anyway.)So it stands to reason that since:

1)FE and RE map assumes the world is a different shape.
2)Distances between countries in the southern hemisphere are from a different distance.
and 3)The RE map is used to navigate everyday.

Conclusion:Current Maps(I.E the ones that display a Round Earth) are the most accurate.

The Question1

Re: Lets talk about navigation.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
No comment yet?

The Question1

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
I must ask again,this seems pretty airtight.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
Without a doubt the distances/geography of the southern hemi-plane are a serious cause of concern for FET.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
From the lack of discussion among FE researchers in the Believers forum, they really don't seem all that concerned with this, or pretty much any other anomaly concerning FET.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:28:31 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »
From the lack of discussion among FE researchers in the Believers forum, they really don't seem all that concerned with this, or pretty much any other anomaly concerning FET.

Until you donate a bit of money to Daniel's bank account to verify distances, we don't see that there's anything we can do about it beyond idle wonder.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:34:47 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
Specifically,we are talking about navigating in the southern hemisphere on the FE map displayed in the FAQ(the icewall model.)
First,i am going to state the obvious.Navigating(in the air or on sea) uses a round earth model.That being said if we navigate with the model,it must be the one closer to reality correct?

Well,you could say that maps aren't always representive of reality.Maps however,ARE representive of the DISTANCES between places(the accurate ones anyway.)So it stands to reason that since:

2)Distances between countries in the southern hemisphere are from a different distance.

Conclusion:Current Maps(I.E the ones that display a Round Earth) are the most accurate.

A map would certainly not reflect actual or accurate distances of a globe earth.

Take a look at the size of Greenland on a Mercator map sometime.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

Until you donate several thousand dollars to Daniel's bank account, we don't see that there's anything we can do about it besides idle wonder.

I'm sorry, but I keep forgetting how FET's lack of funding is my problem.  Oh, that's right.  It isn't.

Oh, and from what several FE'ers have discovered the hard way, sending Daniel money isn't guaranteed get you FES merchandise either.

BTW, idle speculation is not a Zetetic principle, is it?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »
I'm sorry, but I keep forgetting how FET's lack of funding is my problem.  Oh, that's right.  It isn't.

If you're complaining about a lack of progress, funding certainly is your problem.

When you want something done, you need to pay for it.

Put up or shut up.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:37:01 PM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
I'm sorry, but I keep forgetting how FET's lack of funding is my problem.  Oh, that's right.  It isn't.

If you're complaining about a lack of progress, funding certainly is your problem.

Put up or shut up.

Not my theory, not my problem.  If you need funding, apply for a research grant like everybody else.

?

Tech

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »

Put up or shut up.

Not my theory, not my problem.  If you need funding, apply for a research grant like everybody else.

Exactly, you can't ask people who disagree with you to fund your research, especially over the internet >_> Stop being stupid.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

Put up or shut up.

Not my theory, not my problem.  If you need funding, apply for a research grant like everybody else.

If it's not your problem stop asking for progress or research on your topic of interest to be completed.

No one is obligated to invest capital in order to satisfy your curiosity.

Pay or go away.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »

Put up or shut up.

Not my theory, not my problem.  If you need funding, apply for a research grant like everybody else.

If it's not your problem stop asking for progress or research on your topic of interest to be completed.

Pay or go away.

How much have you contributed to the coffers, Tom?  If you aren't concerned about the lack of progress in FET, then why should I be?  It's just more evidence that you don't want even the simplest issues with your theory resolved.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »

Put up or shut up.

Pay or go away.

How much have you contributed to the coffers, Tom?  If you aren't concerned about the lack of progress in FET, then why should I be?  It's just more evidence that you don't want even the simplest issues with your theory resolved.

I don't need to put money into the coffers. I'm not curious about the shape of the earth. I already know its shape.

I'm not too concerned over the exact layout of the continents, either. But if you are, you know where to submit your savings.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:35:07 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Tech

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 01:37:51 AM »

Put up or shut up.

Pay or go away.

How much have you contributed to the coffers, Tom?  If you aren't concerned about the lack of progress in FET, then why should I be?  It's just more evidence that you don't want even the simplest issues with your theory resolved.

I don't need to put money into the coffers. I'm not curious about the shape of the earth. I already know its shape.

I'm not too concerned over the layout of the continents, either. But if you are, you know where to submit your savings.

Spoken like a true fanatic.

Sliver

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 06:03:47 AM »
Quoting this post in order to skip all of the derailing attempts that Tom made.  The FES has absolutely no interest whatsoever in navigating, let alone a map.  If they did, they would have actually done something about it by now. Hell, even the PTA can put together simple fund raising events.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »

I'm not too concerned over the exact layout of the continents, either. But if you are, you know where to submit your savings.

Ah, living proof that ignorance is indeed bliss.  It's this kind of attitude that will keep you from ever being taken seriously.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:35:12 AM by markjo »

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 07:11:04 AM »

Yea me to its a sphere.

The Question1

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »

Until you donate a bit of money to Daniel's bank account to verify distances, we don't see that there's anything we can do about it beyond idle wonder.
Not his theory.
If your going to present a theory,its your job to make sure its backed up.

I know i am not going to back a theory i don't believe in,i am simply pointing out the flaws the FE THEORISTS have to address.

The Question1

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »
lil bump...

A map would certainly not reflect actual or accurate distances of a globe earth.

Obviously,you are trying to fit a map of a spheroid onto a flat surface.
However,the OP remains unchallenged.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »

Ever thought why it appears distorted when viewing a flat map of the Earth?

Because it's not it's actual representation.

Here's an example of something similar:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/213/6/b/Old_Man_facemap_by_SnakebitSamurai.jpg

The only map of the Earth you need to worry about when discussing the errors of Earth maps are the globes themselves - every other map is derived and distorted from that to make it flat, your argument has no substance.

I know that the time it takes to fly from Wellington, NZ, to Brisbane, AUS, is approximately 240 minutes in an Airbus A320.

Max cruising speed 903km/h (487kt) at 28,000ft, economical cruising speed 840km/h (454kt) at 37,000ft

We can work out that the distance from Wellington to Brisbane for the plane I was in and it's route was less than 3612km and 3360km (Note, these are only using the 2 speeds specified, which would be how far the plane could fly at these speeds for the time duration)

The straight line distance between these two cities on RE is around 2500km, which gives it a nice cruising speed of around 630km/h

It turns out, that a flight from London, England, takes around the same amount of time to get to Moscow, Russia.

Both are approximately the same distance, yet on FE, one is twice as long.

So, when FE'ers can get off their asses, stop with the excuses, and actually try to help themselves - they might realize that it just doesn't work.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
So, when FE'ers can get off their asses, stop with the excuses, and actually try to help themselves - they might realize that it just doesn't work.
That will never happen. As they realise their whole lifes work was bull shit, which it is still we don't want people killing themselves now.