The Foucault Pendulum...

• 47 Replies
?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
Re: The Foucault Pendulum...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »

Wow. What a proof? Just above, one poster argued that aluminum is not attracted by magnets. Did the guide prove the metal object was ferromagnetic? How about electromagnets? They can be turned on and off.

Fabulous, he thinks every Foucault Pendulum is secretly monkeyed with by Teh Konsipracy.  ::)
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 11:06:57 AM »
Also what about the South Pointing Chariot which is a compass not based on magnetic fields.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pointing_Chariot

From your link:
The chariot is a two-wheeled vehicle upon which is a pointing figure connected to the wheels by means of differential gearing. Through careful selection of wheel size, track and gear ratios, the figure atop the chariot will always point in the same direction, hence acting as a non-magnetic compass vehicle.

So, what do you want to know about it?

I dunno I wrote that this morning and I was tired. It points south always with some line of longitude or latitude I forget what I was gonig to say ignore it. Lol

From what I could gather, it always points in one direction, but not necessarily south. 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 04:02:13 PM »
Also what about the South Pointing Chariot which is a compass not based on magnetic fields.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pointing_Chariot

From your link:
The chariot is a two-wheeled vehicle upon which is a pointing figure connected to the wheels by means of differential gearing. Through careful selection of wheel size, track and gear ratios, the figure atop the chariot will always point in the same direction, hence acting as a non-magnetic compass vehicle.

Like I said I was going to go in one direct but cut myself off before I made a complete ass of myself >_>

So, what do you want to know about it?

I dunno I wrote that this morning and I was tired. It points south always with some line of longitude or latitude I forget what I was gonig to say ignore it. Lol

From what I could gather, it always points in one direction, but not necessarily south. 
   He didn't just wake up one morning and say "I wonder what shape the earth is".  Instead he woke up and said, "the earth looks flat, now how can I proved it".

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
For example the Foucault Pendulum which was the first device that demonstrated the Earth's rotation that wasn't based on the sun the moon and all other celestial bodies.

The pendulum is influenced by the heavens rotating above the earth -- not by the rotation of earth. We know this by the anomalous behaviour observed during an eclipse.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
For example the Foucault Pendulum which was the first device that demonstrated the Earth's rotation that wasn't based on the sun the moon and all other celestial bodies.

The pendulum is influenced by the heavens rotating above the earth -- not by the rotation of earth. We know this by the anomalous behaviour observed during an eclipse.

How is this anomalous behavior explained by the heavens rotating above the earth?

?

Tech

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
Wait, so does the disc-earth not spin at all? It seems like it should...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »

How is this anomalous behavior explained by the heavens rotating above the earth?

The proximity of the sun and moon allows their combined gravitation to affect the period of the pendulum. It is clearly the heavens affecting the pendulum and NOT the earth.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »

The proximity of the sun and moon allows their combined gravitation to affect the period of the pendulum. It is clearly the heavens affecting the pendulum and NOT the earth.

Interesting.  Do you have any data to support this claim?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
There is an inexplicable anomaly during an eclipse. The heavenly bodies are affecting the pendulum. This is documented and even named.

?

Tech

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 01:41:20 AM »
Wait so you still think there's gravity? Because if there is gravity, then
A. Flat Earth cannot be infinite.
B. Flat Earth would quickly fold up into Round Earth.
C. The gravity would not match what its supposed to.

So there really can't be gravity...

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »
Heh, my university has one of these.
It's enclosed in a glass cylinder.
No wires there.
 ::)

Yet again, the best FE explanation is "it's all a conspiracy."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2010, 07:00:54 AM »
There is an inexplicable anomaly during an eclipse. The heavenly bodies are affecting the pendulum. This is documented and even named.

So you don't have any data.  That's what I thought.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
Wait so you still think there's gravity? Because if there is gravity, then
A. Flat Earth cannot be infinite.
Why not?  It can have infinite mass and a finite gravitational pull...

Not if its infinite.

C. The gravity would not match what its supposed to.
How so?

Anyways, back to the point, its caused by the gravitational influence of the moon in tandem with that of the submoon.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »
Ah, the submoon, of course!

Here's something we can't explain in FE.

I know, lets explain it with some other unexplainable and unproven theory!

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »
Not if its infinite.

If it's infinite (and you can't show that it is since everyone who goes past the ice wall is mudered by penguins) you'd need a uniformity in mass that is not observed.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
Not if its infinite.

It can't be proven that the earth is an infinite plane.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
Not if its infinite.

It can't be proven that the earth is an infinite plane.
Tom is incorrect and has supplied no evidence.  Simply measure gravitational influence in a nonbiased manner at different altitudes.  Thats all the evidence a reasonable person needs.

Uniformity in mass is not necessary.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
Simply measure gravitational influence in a nonbiased manner at different altitudes.

Please post the data from these measurements here.

Uniformity in mass is not necessary.

It is if you want things to stay together.