A FE'er please explain Zetetisicm

• 174 Replies

Catchpa

A FE'er please explain Zetetisicm
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I'm confused what exactly definies zetetisicm. All I've heard is RE'ers explain it, but FE'ers always say they're a zetetic without explaining what it is.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

Skeleton

• Frankly, I have better things to do with my time.
Re: A FE'er please explain Zetetisicm
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
Zeteticism, if properly followed, would lead to disbelief in a flat earth because it's the philosophy of only believing what your senses tell you, and not accepting data from mechanical or electronic or third party sources. Since your senses tell you you can only see a few miles to the horizon at sea that means a true zetetic would conclude the earth could not be flat, as a flat earth would not have a horizon such as that.
Im not a flatearther though but thats what zeticism is as far as I can tell.
If the ultimate objective is to kill Skeleton, we should just do that next.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
So in short people in denial?

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »
A 'Zetetic' is  "one who proceeds by inquiry; a seeker."  We seek data and from there draw conclusions that are not biased.  The accepted scientific method is flawed because it attempts to draw conclusions before ever seeing the data.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Lorddave

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
A 'Zetetic' is  "one who proceeds by inquiry; a seeker."  We seek data and from there draw conclusions that are not biased.  The accepted scientific method is flawed because it attempts to draw conclusions before ever seeing the data.

But you're ALREADY biased.  All of FET is based on the "Fact" that the Earth is flat and all data must bend to keep that fact.

Catchpa

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:44:57 PM »

How does a conspiracy fit into this definition?

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
The conspiracy is not a part of FET.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »

This is probably the WORST thing I've ever heard.
Without the conspiracy, every picture NASA has ever sent would crush all of FET.

The Question1

• Your logic is inferior to my logic.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
Sure,maybe if you skipped half the steps.
Namely experiments and interpreting the data.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »

Without the conspiracy, every picture NASA has ever sent would crush all of FET.
Dont forget the russian, french, chinese and indian space agencies ad well
A quote from one of rthe admins in the believers section
What is this nonsense, why is the shape of the
Earth being contested in this forum? What is
going on?
Oh the irony

Catchpa

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »
Please explain, Ichi. Why is the conspiracy not a part of FET? From my perspective, it seems the conspiracy is a neccesity for FET.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »

NASA is not involved in FET. Their pictures do not affect FET. Same with the other space agencies.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Catchpa

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »
How so?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »
Their claims and ideas do not affect how we view the world in FET.

Lorddave

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

So you're saying NASA is factual (or at least not lying) but you deliberately ignore everything they say?

?

Deceiver

• The grant money made me do it.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
A 'Zetetic' is  "one who proceeds by inquiry; a seeker."  We seek data and from there draw conclusions that are not biased.  The accepted scientific method is flawed because it attempts to draw conclusions before ever seeing the data.

Since when? There is a big difference between a null hypothesis and conclusions. The null hypothesis is based on predictions and outside data. The conclusions are based on the results of the experiment. Both of which are based on something that has already been established and proven; the null hypothesis is always rejected when the results contradict it.

Saying that the phases of the moon exist because of biological migration isn't backed by anything except for the fact that the moon appears to have discrete phases. Etc, etc.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:15:33 PM by Deceiver »

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »

In other words, it is nothing whatsoever to do with the shape of the earth and is tarnished as a scientific method by being associated with flat earthers. A bit like the way Tom Cruise's film performances are viewed more critically because you know he's a scientologist.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »

Great,

Look at a picture of earth from space

FET disproved

Site can be closed
A quote from one of rthe admins in the believers section
What is this nonsense, why is the shape of the
Earth being contested in this forum? What is
going on?
Oh the irony

Catchpa

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »

Why is that?

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »

You should remove it from the FAQ.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »

And how exactly are conclusions drawn prematurely in the Scientific Method?

Trolling makes me angry.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
Can anyone seriously answer my question?

Trolling makes me angry.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
Can anyone seriously answer my question?

I can make up another science for FE'ers to answer your question would you like that? Or you wanna wait for them to give a BS answer?
   He didn't just wake up one morning and say "I wonder what shape the earth is".  Instead he woke up and said, "the earth looks flat, now how can I proved it".

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »
I'll ask a third time: Can anyone seriously tell me why the Scientific Method supposedly causes people to be biased/draw conclusions before experimentation?

Trolling makes me angry.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
I'm confused what exactly definies zetetisicm. All I've heard is RE'ers explain it, but FE'ers always say they're a zetetic without explaining what it is.

Zetetisicm was made up because normal science didn't fit with a flat earth.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »
I'll take this silence as acknowledgement that there is nothing wrong with the Scientific Method, until someone proves otherwise.

Trolling makes me angry.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
I'll ask a third time: Can anyone seriously tell me why the Scientific Method supposedly causes people to be biased/draw conclusions before experimentation?

In the Scientific Method we're told to hypothesize first, experiment later.

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »

So are you saying it's wrong to have initial suspicions about the natural world that compel us to undertake an experiment? The hypothesis is an important step in the scientific method because for the prediction we have to reword it so that it can be demonstrated to objectively match or not match with experimental data.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »

Hypothesize first leads to either showing something or not showing up something.  If we experiment first then we can conclude whatever we want that happened.  
"A precipitate formed when I added bacl2 to a solution. Must be because the earth is flat."
Se what happens when you just guess as to why something happened?  A hypothesis also leads to the correct experiment being set up and preformed.    
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run