New Scientist Weighs In...

• 10 Replies
?

Tristan

• Bendy Earth Proponent
New Scientist Weighs In...
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »
Been away a while, but saw something that I thought might be of interest to many people here:

http://www.newscientist.com/special/living-in-denial

New Scientist magazine have devoted an issue to denialism, conspiracy theory and why otherwise intelligent people believe stupid things. I read it all recently and it brought back memories of the FES.

Peace Out.
Image used in Avatar:
"Duck Dodgers™ in the 24&1/2th Century"
© Warner Brothers Animation
All Rights Reserved

Re: New Scientist Weighs In...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:08:32 AM »
A climate denier (i.e. FE'er) has a position staked out in advance, and sorts through the data employing "confirmation bias" - the tendency to look for and find confirmatory evidence for pre-existing beliefs and ignore or dismiss the rest.

Sound like anyone we know? 

Trolling makes me angry.

Sliver

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »
A climate denier (i.e. FE'er) has a position staked out in advance, and sorts through the data employing "confirmation bias" - the tendency to look for and find confirmatory evidence for pre-existing beliefs and ignore or dismiss the rest.

It sure does.  Very funny!

?

Gigamonsta

• Earth Shape Agnostic (ESA) - QUESTION EVERYTHING
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »

ya, you.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:40:31 AM »

ya, you.

Proof, examples, evidence to back up that statement?  Stop trolling because I called Vongeo an idiot for wanting to dig a massive hole in the Earth just to extend the flight time of a Vomit Comet to prove me wrong.

Trolling makes me angry.

?

Tristan

• Bendy Earth Proponent
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 03:29:23 AM »
You know... a hole through the centre of the earth would actually resolve a lot of issues on this site.
Image used in Avatar:
"Duck Dodgers™ in the 24&1/2th Century"
© Warner Brothers Animation
All Rights Reserved

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 04:00:37 AM »
You know... a hole through the centre of the earth would actually resolve a lot of issues on this site.

Care to elaborate?

Trolling makes me angry.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »

Care to elaborate?

You'd get to the other side and prove it's shape.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:24 AM »
They'd claim the hole isn't straight down and is actually a long curve coming up on another part of the flat Earth.  When you point out that you could see visually to the other side, they'd say you just proved wacky bendy light  Their crazy justification has become far too predictable.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:08:44 AM »
They'd claim the hole isn't straight down and is actually a long curve coming up on another part of the flat Earth.  When you point out that you could see visually to the other side, they'd say you just proved wacky bendy light  Their crazy justification has become far too predictable.

Let's not give them any ideas / provoke them.

AKA: "Do not feed the trolls."

Trolling makes me angry.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 02:16:08 AM »

If only the hole was somehow made inside a vacuum, then you could drop things in it and they would make it all the way to the other end before heading back to the center.

That would be the ultimate transport.