This cop is awesome

• 153 Replies

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
Re: This cop is awesome
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »

This is ACTUAL brutality. They taze him while he's on the ground and handcuffed and compliant.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:07:41 PM by SupahLovah »
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »
Meh I'm still not particularly bothered by that though I agree it was wrong. I mean a tazer is only non lethal, I wouldn't be too happy if I got tazed in such a situation however I respect the fact that cops have a hard job and wouldn't scream bloody murder like most.
Recently religious due to the impending rapture.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
Seriously, Beno?  Seriously?  I was thinking that the noob was probably just a troll, so I didn't pay much attention to him, but a man of your intelligence and logic arguing like this?

I'm pretty sure use of deadly force is only authorized when there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death of the cop or anyone else.

I'm not sure what you have in Canada, but down here, the Supreme Court ruled in Tennessee v. Garner that police have the right to use deadly force to stop an escape if they have probable cause to believe that the criminal poses a serious threat to anyone.  The threat does not necessarily have to be "imminent".

I don't see where anyone was in imminent danger while the guy was driving away. Clearly the guy tried to kill the cop, but that imminent danger was over when he drove away.

I strongly disagree.  This confrontation, and any danger to it, would not have been "over" until the suspect had driven far out of the range of using his weapon.  Yes, Thane might have been genuinely running away with no further intentions of trying to hurt the cop.  But what if his plan was actually to double back and try to finish off the cop?  Why should the police have to put themselves at a disadvantage?

I don't think it's reasonable to assume he would shoot someone else.

He just tried to shoot a police officer in the face.  What makes you think he suddenly found morals?

I'm not trolling here, I'm considering the same facts as the judge and jury had to in the case that was brought against this officer. I read the Tennessee v. Garner wiki, and it's essentially the same as in the Canadian Criminal Code. The fact that we have do analyze is whether or not there was a reasonable assumption that the suspect would seriously harm anybody else. This has nothing to do with his capacity for harming others, but his intent.

The one point of mine that you didn't quote and address was when I wrote that this wasn't a case of a man on a killing spree. It was a case of a fleeing individual who was trying to escape arrest. It seems reasonable to me that we could assume he would have killed the cop, drove away, and attempt to hide. Now, remember this case has nothing to do with whether the individual would evade arrest, it deals with whether he was intent on harming others.

I just don't think it's reasonable to believe he might double back. The way I saw that, he was clearly fleeing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:38:58 PM by Benocrates »
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »
Seriously, Beno?  Seriously?  I was thinking that the noob was probably just a troll, so I didn't pay much attention to him, but a man of your intelligence and logic arguing like this?

I'm pretty sure use of deadly force is only authorized when there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death of the cop or anyone else.

I'm not sure what you have in Canada, but down here, the Supreme Court ruled in Tennessee v. Garner that police have the right to use deadly force to stop an escape if they have probable cause to believe that the criminal poses a serious threat to anyone.  The threat does not necessarily have to be "imminent".

I don't see where anyone was in imminent danger while the guy was driving away. Clearly the guy tried to kill the cop, but that imminent danger was over when he drove away.

I strongly disagree.  This confrontation, and any danger to it, would not have been "over" until the suspect had driven far out of the range of using his weapon.  Yes, Thane might have been genuinely running away with no further intentions of trying to hurt the cop.  But what if his plan was actually to double back and try to finish off the cop?  Why should the police have to put themselves at a disadvantage?

I don't think it's reasonable to assume he would shoot someone else.

He just tried to shoot a police officer in the face.  What makes you think he suddenly found morals?

I'm not trolling here, I'm considering the same facts as the judge and jury had to in the case that was brought against this officer. I read the Tennessee v. Garner wiki, and it's essentially the same as in the Canadian Criminal Code. The fact that we have do analyze is whether or not there was a reasonable assumption that the suspect would seriously harm anybody else. This has nothing to do with his capacity for harming others, but his intent.

The one point of mine that you didn't quote and address was when I wrote that this wasn't a case of a man on a killing spree. It was a case of a fleeing individual who was trying to escape arrest. It seems reasonable to me that we could assume he would have killed the cop, drove away, and attempt to hide. Now, remember this case has nothing to do with whether the individual would evade arrest, it deals with whether he was intent on harming others.

I just don't think it's reasonable to believe he might double back. The way I saw that, he was clearly fleeing.
And when the cop got in his car and followed him, what then?
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »
Meh I'm still not particularly bothered by that though I agree it was wrong. I mean a tazer is only non lethal, I wouldn't be too happy if I got tazed in such a situation however I respect the fact that cops have a hard job and wouldn't scream bloody murder like most.

Yah, but come on. Look at how many cops they had there and how little he was resisting. The cops have gotten out of hand with tazers, which are supposed to be an alternative to deadly force. Deadly force had no place in that situation, so neither should the tazer. The fact that cops have a hard job doesn't really come into play here. They know the job is difficult, and they take on the responsibility of posessing those weapons.

And as an extention of this argument, I was watching an interview with an RCMP officer that was holding an inquiry on the Robert Dziekanski Taser incident. Other than his comments on the wrongful use of of tasers by many law enforcement departments, he had some great insights on the development of police in our societies. He was talking about back in the 50's or so, cops had a gun and a club, and that was it. They wore a uniform that demonstrated a dignified authority, and most cops didn't draw their gun in their whole careers.

Now, I know a lot has changed since then, but the face we see now of police officers are essentially soldiers or commandos with their black gloves, Kevlar on the outside, pepper spray, tasers, etc. The level of force they represent and perpetrate has grown steadily to the point where these kinds of overreactions and inappropriate uses of force are almost commonplace. Like I said, I know there are many arguments on the other side of this. But this is something we should all keep in mind about the police and their use of force. We can never stop watching and making sure they don't step outside of the line.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
And when the cop got in his car and followed him, what then?

At that point there would be backup called and the driver would have an opportunity to be apprehended. I don't think he would have entered into a shootout with a group of cops. I believe it is reasonable to believe that he wanted to quickly shoot the first cop and speed off. Bad idea, but makes sense.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2010, 10:14:58 AM »

How do you know?  You saw the exact same thing everyone else saw - a car pulling away.  When the car was vanishing into the distance, the cop had already killed him, so he was just slumped over the accelerator.  You don't know what his plan was next.  Bear in mind that this guy just tried to murder a police officer over a DUI, so he probably wasn't thinking as logically as you.

At that point there would be backup called and the driver would have an opportunity to be apprehended. I don't think he would have entered into a shootout with a group of cops. I believe it is reasonable to believe that he wanted to quickly shoot the first cop and speed off. Bad idea, but makes sense.

And I don't think it's reasonable to believe that he would try to murder a police officer for the sake of a fine and a few months without his license, but that's what he did, isn't it?  Attempting to kill a cop could very well have turned him desperate, and possibly suicidal.  And how do you know that backup could easily corner him?  What if it happens to be a single patrolman who finds him first?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:16:18 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
As far I'm concerned the cop is a murderer hiding behind his badge. Having a gun does not justify killing a drunk guy. If you or I did this we would be arrested.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
Well, I don't agree with that troll, but I think we Saddam and I just disagree on what is reasonable to assume. The reason that I indulged in analysis was because obviously the case had to be heard in court. If I were on the jury I would most likely acquit too, but like I've posted before, we can't ever turn a blind eye to police use of force.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
As far I'm concerned the cop is a murderer hiding behind his badge. Having a gun does not justify killing a drunk guy. If you or I did this we would be arrested.
Wow you are such a troll...

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »
Yes, but that is because pulling people over is a right reserved for the police. You couldn't legally be in that scenario.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »
Another epic cop:

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »
Another epic cop:

That's old but yeah. Even johnson17 can't disagree with that.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
Another epic cop:

Lol, what's there to disagree with?  The cop literally did nothing.

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »
Another epic cop:

Lol, what's there to disagree with?  The cop literally did nothing.
Trust me, he will find a way.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
lawl, this vid must be decades old. It is obvi hilarious though.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »
haha, it says 92 in the vid
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
This is so stupid.  I've found myself in an YouTube debate with some idiots who somehow think that this is police brutality:

(I am MidnightWins2, named after Midnight. ;D)

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
well...this guy was swingin pretty hard, and he was a big ass mothafucker. But I will say, having a youtube debate is like having a debate on the wall of a bathroom stall. At least here there is a kind of community, youtube is pretty much anonymous.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »
Example of awesome cop:

OH YEAAAAAHHHHH

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
We have a new winner:

« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2010, 02:49:06 AM »
People need to realize that on duty cops are on constant high alert. At any given moment during a stop they could be shot and killed. The point an officer comes up to you is the point you treat him with respect...after all he IS the man with the gun/taser. Yes, there are corrupt and scumbag cops out there, but no more than there are other people who abuse their power. Shit happens, fact is though, police save lives.

Moral of the story, don't fuck with the cops, or else they are going to fire a warning shot to your head.

Also, Dirty Harry is obviously the more badass cop

parsec

« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2010, 04:24:46 AM »
This thread is boring and old. Saddam should be hanged for necroing it as well as starting it. Oh wait.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »
This thread is boring and old. Saddam should be hanged for necroing it as well as starting it. Oh wait.

Ridiculous.  This thread proves that there are real-live badasses among us.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
MYTHS: Cops do not put their lives on the line everyday. They actually have one of the safest jobs. Cops are not heroes. They do far less heroic acts than the general public. Cops do not prevent gangs from taking over. That is just an unfounded fear. There would be much less violence after the cops are eliminated from society.

COPS have the highest rates of domestic violence, divorce, alcoholism, drug use, child abuse, suicide and murder suicide. You don't give people like this badges and guns.

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
MYTHS: Cops do not put their lives on the line everyday. They actually have one of the safest jobs. Cops are not heroes. They do far less heroic acts than the general public. Cops do not prevent gangs from taking over. That is just an unfounded fear. There would be much less violence after the cops are eliminated from society.

COPS have the highest rates of domestic violence, divorce, alcoholism, drug use, child abuse, suicide and murder suicide. You don't give people like this badges and guns.
Proof?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »

I disagree. I think we should keep these alive for awesome cop vids.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

Are these statistics true?

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "statistics".  The first paragraph is largely unverifiable hyperbole.  It is true that police have a lower rate of on-the-job casualties than several other jobs, but a death rate isn't the only way to judge the danger of a job.  It could be, for example, that most police are very well trained and equipped to deal with hostile elements, hence relatively few of them dying.  Naturally, his claim that society would be safer without police is ridiculous and unworthy of a serious response.

The second paragraph also has a few true facts ("suicide" is certainly true, although I'd like to know where he got "child abuse" and "murder suicide" from, as it sounds like bullshit to me).  However, the stupidity of the rant is best demonstrated in his implication at the end, "You don't give people like this badges and guns."  It's not like people who are naturally predisposed to suicide join the cops, it's the stress of the job that drives them to it.