Compulsory Organ Donation

• 30 Replies
?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
Compulsory Organ Donation
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:22:07 PM »
There has been talk of passing a bill in Australia allowing for compulsory organ donation upon death.  Instead of the current system, where upon death there must be evidence that you wanted your organs donated, it would be assumed that you wanted them donated.  Proof must be offered, such as a orange stamp on you license, that says you don't want you organs donated and there would be religious exceptions.  What is your stance on the issue?

Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

Re: Compulsory Organ Donation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
Not that big of a difference.  People who feel strongly enough one way or the other will still be able to demonstrate what they want done with their bodies after death.  I'm in favor of it.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
Not that big of a difference.  People who feel strongly enough one way or the other will still be able to demonstrate what they want done with their bodies after death.  I'm in favor of it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »
I think we have a couple of states over here trying to do the same thing.  Also, the title of this thread is misleading.  No one is trying to make it "compulsory" to donate organs upon death, they just want to switch the default.  Personally, I don't think I really agree with this, though.  The fact is that most people don't really think about their organ donor status a whole lot, and I don't think that many people beyond the politically-active will hear about this law if it passes.  I'm not going to deny that organ donating does a lot of good, and I do think it's kind of silly to want to hold onto your organs after you're dead, but the fact is that dead people have rights too.

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
I'm all for it.
Organs are far more valuable to a live person than a dead one.   Hell, I'm sure even God wouldn't object to you saving someone's life even after you die.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
Ummmmm..... what religious edict, if any, says that you can't donate your organs? This is news to me.

- No matter the response - do it. We're all in this together (life) and you can't take your organs with you. Might as well make it the default to donate them.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
Not that big of a difference.  People who feel strongly enough one way or the other will still be able to demonstrate what they want done with their bodies after death.  I'm in favour of it.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »
So long as they don't take my brain, I'm all for it.

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
Ummmmm..... what religious edict, if any, says that you can't donate your organs? This is news to me.

- No matter the response - do it. We're all in this together (life) and you can't take your organs with you. Might as well make it the default to donate them.

Jewish orthadox. When someone dies the rabbi must ensure that all parts of the dead ( including all blood) is with the body. This is mostly seen in car accidents: they clean up the blood themselves and keep the blood soaked rags.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »
But they're crazy and have sex through sheets
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
But they're crazy and have sex through sheets

Both myths.
They're very sane and technically live in poverty even though their community as a whole has a huge amount of money. 

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
They came to my uni every summer for a conference. I heard the rumours from the cleaning ladies...

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
Dead people don't have rights. That said, don't touch my body when I die.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
Dead people don't have rights. That said, don't touch my body when I die.
Any particular reason why?
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
When I first read it I was like "Oh hell no that's dumb" but then I was like "Good idea!"

It does make a big difference. Because so many transplants and donations are needed, they'll work less hard to keep an organ donor alive than someone who wants to keep all their organs. Since they can't just let everybody die, this is a great idea indeed.

That said, I'd be getting an orange stamp that says they can't fuck with my organs.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
Any particular reason why?

Not really. Perhaps I enjoy the notion of being preserved a little longer fully intact or something. I don't care enough to ensure that nothing happens to my body, and don't have a means in which to enforce it.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
All my organs will be donated.
The rest of my body will then be given to SCIENCE! for research/whatever.
If I don't help in this life, I'll sure as hell help afterwards.
When I was 5 years old my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote down "happy."
They told me I didn't understand the assignment.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 06:33:13 AM »
People can do what they want to my body after I'm gone as long as it's doing some good.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 06:34:09 AM »
I don't like other people enough to prolong anyones life once mine is over.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 06:35:49 AM »
The reason I don't agree with this is that most people won't hear about this law being passed, and won't realize that they have to take the initiative to stop their organs from being donated.  It's true that living people obviously have a bigger need for organs than those who are dead, but that doesn't change the fact that the dead person is the one who rightfully owns the organs.  A poor person probably has a bigger need for money than you do (for example, he wants to buy food, when you want to buy a TV), but that doesn't mean he has the right to rob you.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »
Then, frankly, it's your own fault, the same as people who don't bother writing a will....

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:24 AM »
I wanna donate an organ to Chris right now...  ;)

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 07:04:29 AM »
...that doesn't change the fact that the dead person is the one who rightfully owns the organs.

The dead have ownership?

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »
What is wrong with legalizing the organ market.  It's your body, therefore you have the right to do with it what you want.  If you want to sell a kidney, you should be able too.

Men can sell their sperm, women can sell their eggs, make a shit load of money off of it too, and doing so ends up genuinely helping people who cannot have children on their own.  Why are organs off the table? 

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 07:19:42 AM »
Then, frankly, it's your own fault, the same as people who don't bother writing a will....

But if you don't write a will, then your estate is normally left to your next of kin, or distributed among your children.  It isn't given to random strangers.  In any case, donating your organs when you die is doing society a service.  Why is doing a purely optional service for society suddenly the "default"?  It's because the people writing these laws know that if they can pass them quickly and quietly, then millions of people who already drive won't hear about this, and will have no idea that they have to take the initiative to stop their organs from being taken from them upon death.  When I was learning to drive, the instructor briefly mentioned that if you wanted to be a donor, you had to go and fill out a form to make it official.  That was it for me, and I assume for the millions of people who already have a license.  Why would all those people randomly think to themselves, "Hmm, I wonder if they've changed the laws on being a donor.  I had better go and check"?  This is like fine print on a contract.  It's sneaky, and it's dishonest.

...that doesn't change the fact that the dead person is the one who rightfully owns the organs.

The dead have ownership?

Yes, they certainly do.

What is wrong with legalizing the organ market.  It's your body, therefore you have the right to do with it what you want.  If you want to sell a kidney, you should be able too.

Men can sell their sperm, women can sell their eggs, make a shit load of money off of it too, and doing so ends up genuinely helping people who cannot have children on their own.  Why are organs off the table? 

Just out of curiosity, have you ever donated sperm?  You're paid a very small amount purely as a gratuity, and there are very strict rules governing the process (for example, you can't jerk off for a few days prior to your donation).  You can't make a "shitload" of money doing it.  As for organs, well, I thought this would be kind of obvious, but if organs can be sold, then people will start carving up others to steal organs to sell.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 07:37:12 AM »
Actually you can make quite a bit selling sperm.  The trick is actually getting into one of the programs (The prereqs are strict).  The programs usually last several weeks to several months, where you are expected to give sperm every 2-3 days.  You can make over 100 dollars per visit.

A few pre reqs that I was told about:

You have to be at least 6 ft tall.
Must have a certain level of education (usually a bachelor degree).
Some places require you to disclose your salary.  (Fast food counter worker sperm doesn't sell).
Must have a really high sperm count, since the freezing process kills most of them.
Your ethnicity is a determining factor in how much you get paid, based on demand.

As for organ donation, the black market today for organ donation is HUGE!! and yes people get killed all the time for their organs.  This is mainly because when rich people get sick and need an organ, the laws in the U.S. prevent them from being able to purchace organs legally, so they turn to the black market.  That is why these people end up killing others for their organs.

The lesson is, if there is a demand for a product, there will be a market for it, whether the government bans it or not.

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
What is wrong with legalizing the organ market.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but this would cause the wealthy (those able to afford whatever organs they need easily and quickly) to have a better chance of living than the poor (who may not be able to fully or immediately afford them).  Not just a better quality or standard of living, but a better chance at remaining alive.  Lots of people see fault with this in saying that everyone has equal rights to life, so nothing should come around that skews things in favor of a particular demographic.

Personally, I haven't given it enough thought to have made an informed opinion yet.  I'm just voicing the major concern I've heard from the opposing side.