Flat Earth: The Novel

• 121 Replies
Re: Flat Earth: The Novel
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
if you want to make a round earth in a video game, you'd have to make it so large it wouldn't fit on the CD.  That or, make it contain mostly textureless land.  By mostly i mean more than 99%.  So basically, they wouldnt take so much time to make meanlingless content in a video game when they could just confine it to a small space

Flight Simulator X uses a round earth model. It fits nicely on one DVD.

it is rather small compared to earth and uses loops to give the impression that its round. It also lacks some detail outside of cities.

Catchpa

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »
All right Ichi, let's see what has happened so far.

• You said RE'ers had a short list. I showed you had nothing on your list at all.
  • You claimed the Zelda universe started in a flat world. You have yet to show a map resembling this.
  • You claimed four swords was in a different universe. I showed it was.
  • You claimed they created the Earth. All you showed was they created earth, or the earth for their Hyrule(Notice capital and lower case E's)
  • You claimed a picture portraying a map of the game didn't mean anything. Hilarity ensued.
  • You claimed no map showed a round earth. That's partially right, but a Zelda map has shown curvature meaning the earth is, at least, not exclusively flat.

At last you claim you've seen no map from a Zelda game with no curve. What.. the.. Fuck!?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:27:48 PM by Catchpa »
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »

• You said RE'ers had a short list. I showed you had nothing on your list at all.
  • You claimed the Zelda universe started in a flat world. You have yet to show a map resembling this.
  • You claimed they created the Earth. All you showed was they created earth, or the earth for their Hyrule(Notice capital and lower case E's)
  • You claimed a picture portraying a map of the game didn't mean anything. Hilarity ensued.
  • You claimed no map showed a round earth. That's partially right, but a Zelda map has shown curvature meaning the earth is, at least, not exclusively flat.

At last you claim you've seen no map from a Zelda game with no curve. What the fuck?

As a person for the flair of the dramatic when having to impose meaning and tone on the internet (with only text to use mostly), I recommend putting periods behind each word in "What The Fuck?" for added effect. Just sayin'.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

The Question1

• Your logic is inferior to my logic.
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
Or it is easier for developers to create an Earth with the most simple and eloquent theory instead your radical fantasy RE. A flat earth makes more sense, hence easier to portray in video games.

No it doesn't. The entire collective work of all the Re'ers on here shows how complex, underdefined, or just entirely wrong it is to have a flat Earth. For instance, our view (which is correct) calls for our planet to work under the same universal scientific laws as everything else in the universe. Yours call for us to be on a magical cyclinder that violates even the most basic principals of sicence, math, and just common sense.

A Flat earth may be simpler to reproduce without taking to acoount actual science, but you hardly can tell the curvature of the earth in modern Video games...... besides - a list of Video games with round planets -

Killzone
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Dawn of War (1 & 2)
Doom
Command & Conquer
Bad Company
etc.
etc.
etc.

In the instance of video games - their stock of trade is to have somethng unusal, something different from everyone else and a flat planet to fight on would be such a thing - can you name a single game that cites a flat Earth?
Short list there
In how many games can you derivie the shape of the earth.

Catchpa

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

At last you claim you've seen no map from a Zelda game with no curve. What the fuck?

As a person for the flair of the dramatic when having to impose meaning and tone on the internet (with only text to use mostly), I recommend putting periods behind each word in "What The Fuck?" for added effect. Just sayin'.

Ah, thank you. That is indeed a great idea, and I will immediately implement it. I must add that I took the opportunity to make a few additional artistic changes.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »

At last you claim you've seen no map from a Zelda game with no curve. What.. the.. Fuck!?
I have entire thread much longer than this one containing various discussions on FE games.
Press start on any Zelda game to see the map of a flat earth
FSA IS in a different universe. If you even were remotely familiar with FSA, you'd know the FSA was discovered because of the defeat of the hidden final boss Gannon. It was in a Link to the Past. This was within the giant pyramid of the dark dimension, not Link's universe.
If you watched the video, a flat disc of energy and particles was formed. A flat earth was created.
A picture is not a map. I suggest you think about it harder.
Once again, not a map. There isn't a single Zelda map depicting a round earth.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:18:48 PM by Ichimaru Gin :] »
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Death-T

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »

I have entire thread much longer than this one containing various discussions on FE games.
FSA IS in a different universe. If you even were remotely familiar with FSA, you'd know the FSA was discovered because of the defeat of the hidden final boss Gannon. It was in a Link to the Past. This was within the giant pyramid of the dark dimension, not Link's universe.
If you watched the video, a flat disc of energy and particles was formed. A flat earth was created.

- We have a picture from the company itself that makes Zelda showing clear curvature. The planet in question is round. Oh yes, - http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords_Adventures

hmmm.... see that picture down there... the one with the caption....mmmmmm .... interesting.

- Link concerning the location of FSA?

- A flat earth was created. The thing in question was a mgica auro that we have no idea to its size, wha clearly expanding beyond out vision, and could very well indeed have the smae slight curvature of the the Earth. But seriously, its magic, it cold have created a round Earth by just being a disc, but we don't know exactly what happened due to the whiteout.

It amuses me that you state fact when your "fact" amounts to a bunch of guess work in the face of confirmed maps of a Zelda game with curvature. You're so funny!
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »

- We have a picture from the company itself that makes Zelda showing clear curvature. The planet in question is round. Oh yes, - http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords_Adventures

hmmm.... see that picture down there... the one with the caption....mmmmmm .... interesting.

- Link concerning the location of FSA?

- A flat earth was created. The thing in question was a mgica auro that we have no idea to its size, wha clearly expanding beyond out vision, and could very well indeed have the smae slight curvature of the the Earth. But seriously, its magic, it cold have created a round Earth by just being a disc, but we don't know exactly what happened due to the whiteout.

It amuses me that you state fact when your "fact" amounts to a bunch of guess work in the face of confirmed maps of a Zelda game with curvature. You're so funny!
It's not the company that makes the Wiki fyi. It is clearly a picture. not a map. It's not that hard to realize.
This site bears no affiliation with Nintendo, nor do we guarantee that our site's content reflects their official policies. Link, Zelda, and all other characters from The Legend of Zelda series are trademarks of Nintendo.
As this is a free and open Zelda encyclopedia, we also cannot guarantee the validity of our articles. Most of them are very accurate, however there are vandals on the internet who wish to change the content for the worse. While these are not tolerated on Zelda Wiki.org, they do happen, and therefore we cannot guarantee that the same standard of validity will hold true for every article.
Great proof with a fan site.  ::) As for FSA origin and location, play a Link to the Past and obtain the super bomb to blow the crack in the pyramid.

I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

The Question1

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
Or it is easier for developers to create an Earth with the most simple and eloquent theory instead your radical fantasy RE. A flat earth makes more sense, hence easier to portray in video games.

No it doesn't. The entire collective work of all the Re'ers on here shows how complex, underdefined, or just entirely wrong it is to have a flat Earth. For instance, our view (which is correct) calls for our planet to work under the same universal scientific laws as everything else in the universe. Yours call for us to be on a magical cyclinder that violates even the most basic principals of sicence, math, and just common sense.

A Flat earth may be simpler to reproduce without taking to acoount actual science, but you hardly can tell the curvature of the earth in modern Video games...... besides - a list of Video games with round planets -

Killzone
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Dawn of War (1 & 2)
Doom
Command & Conquer
Bad Company
Zelda Games
etc.
etc.
etc.

In the instance of video games - their stock of trade is to have somethng unusal, something different from everyone else and a flat planet to fight on would be such a thing - can you name a single game that cites a flat Earth?
As an Add-on
Gears of War
Halo
Darkstalkers

Still waiting for that FE list though.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »

Killzone
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Dawn of War (1 & 2)
Doom
Command & Conquer
Bad Company
Zelda Games
etc.
etc.
etc.

As an Add-on
Gears of War
Halo
Darkstalkers

Every other game created not depicted with a round earth, obviously. So anything not on that list. Also, refer to the other thread about this subject. I'm afraid we've strayed quite far from the topic of novels.
Also, Zelda games are FE games.

The Question1

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »

Killzone
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Dawn of War (1 & 2)
Doom
Command & Conquer
Bad Company
Zelda Games
etc.
etc.
etc.

As an Add-on
Gears of War
Halo
Darkstalkers

Every other game created not depicted with a round earth, obviously. So anything not on that list. Also, refer to the other thread about this subject. I'm afraid we've strayed quite far from the topic of novels.
We rarely see the earth(as a whole) in videogames anyway.
How would we know what the devs thought of the shape?

Death-T

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »

You haven't proven that. You haven't even given a good reason why is should be flat.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »

You haven't proven that. You haven't even given a good reason why is should be flat.
Hyrule was created as a flat earth by the goddesses. The windwaker clearly shows perspective effects and shows no curvature even though vast amounts of sea are within view.

The Question1

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
Well,nintendo isn't really a company known for making realistic games.

Death-T

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »

Hyrule was created as a flat earth by the goddesses. The windwaker clearly shows perspective effects and shows no curvature even though vast amounts of sea are within view.

The first sentence has not been proven. The second sentence is open to flaws in the game engine. Care to try again with real evidence?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
I'm stuck with a wii and no xbox360 or ps3. It males me crazy. 95% of the games are just awful.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »

The first sentence has not been proven. The second sentence is open to flaws in the game engine. Care to try again with real evidence?
Look at the video. They would have caught any such major flaws in the game engine.

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Video games don't account for the wave properties of particles either; therefore, particles don't have wave properties.

Is there a name for this fallacy?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Video games don't account for the wave properties of particles either; therefore, particles don't have wave properties.

Duke Nukem does.

Death-T

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »

Look at the video. They would have caught any such major flaws in the game engine.

No - there are many major flaws in modern video games, besides, the video in question has objects shrink in the horizon. Whether this is by distance or the curvature. /shrug/ Can you identify a way to distinguish beyond simply saying "its only distance?"

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »

No - there are many major flaws in modern video games, besides, the video in question has objects shrink in the horizon. Whether this is by distance or the curvature. /shrug/ Can you identify a way to distinguish beyond simply saying "its only distance?"
Because you can see the lightning behind them still. Also, the way the developers set up how Windwaker loads islands wouldn't work without the perspective effect.

Death-T

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »

Because you can see the lightning behind them still. Also, the way the developers set up how Windwaker loads islands wouldn't work without the perspective effect.
How far behind them? What are the distances? How large is this planet?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

How far behind them? What are the distances? How large is this planet?
Irrelevant. The fact that the lightning is behind them shows that it is due to distance.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

Killzone
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Dawn of War (1 & 2)
Doom
Command & Conquer
Bad Company
Zelda Games
etc.
etc.
etc.

As an Add-on
Gears of War
Halo
Darkstalkers

Add-on
Spore
Super Mario Galaxy
Populous: The beginning

And hell Populous was from 1998 and was able to show a round Earth.

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
The real world doesn't have to account for Gamecube's graphical limitations.

?

Thevoiceofreason

• Bendy Truth specialist
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »

Duke Nukem does.

lolol you mean Duke Nukem Whenever

And if you want to end the debate once and for all ask the developers or the writers if
A) their videogame world is flat
B) If yes, then does it follow FET, or did they just simplify it

If it is yes to both then time for RET zelda fans to an hero

Sliver

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
OK, so now we're saying that because A FUCKING VIDEO GAME that is set in a FICTIONAL WORLD has a flat Earth map, that means that the real Earth is flat?  Are you people serious?  That's probably the worst argument yet.  This truly proves this to be a troll site.

Catchpa

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »

Show me those maps and tell me how a flat map can have maps with curvature as well.
It's the same universe. You have yet to prove it isn't, and I have evidence it is. Nothing points towards it not being in another universe.
It was magic, as Death already pointed out. It could make zig zag and that still wouldn't mean it created a zig zaggy-world.
No, a picture is not always a map. This one I provided clearly is. You've provided NOTHING, and you keep lying that we've shown no such map(Which we have).

Listen Ichi, we've clearly won this discussion and we're currently just laughing at your attempt to become a brick wall(Which we tear down again and again..). You're arguing that a map from the creators of the game isn't valid, and yet you're arguing that you have maps depicting a flat earth.

Catchpa

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
Great proof with a fan site.  ::) As for FSA origin and location, play a Link to the Past and obtain the super bomb to blow the crack in the pyramid.

Well, you FE'ers seem so content in believing in your fan site. Though a major difference now is that this once sites sources.