Flat Earth: The Novel

• 121 Replies

Catchpa

Re: Flat Earth: The Novel
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:22 AM »
Or it is easier for developers to create an Earth with the most simple and eloquent theory instead your radical fantasy RE. A flat earth makes more sense, hence easier to portray in video games.

No it doesn't. The entire collective work of all the Re'ers on here shows how complex, underdefined, or just entirely wrong it is to have a flat Earth. For instance, our view (which is correct) calls for our planet to work under the same universal scientific laws as everything else in the universe. Yours call for us to be on a magical cyclinder that violates even the most basic principals of sicence, math, and just common sense.

A Flat earth may be simpler to reproduce without taking to acoount actual science, but you hardly can tell the curvature of the earth in modern Video games...... besides - a list of Video games with round planets -

Killzone
Killzone 2
Modern Warfare 2
Dawn of War (1 & 2)
Doom
Command & Conquer
Bad Company
etc.
etc.
etc.

In the instance of video games - their stock of trade is to have somethng unusal, something different from everyone else and a flat planet to fight on would be such a thing - can you name a single game that cites a flat Earth?
Short list there

FE list:
Zelda.

EDIT: Oops, apparently not. It seems your list is not even shorter, but non existant!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:36:57 AM by Catchpa »
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
That'd be cool if the picture was actually from/of the Windwaker game. Try again
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Catchpa

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
That'd be cool if the picture was actually from/of the Windwaker game. Try again

All zelda games are from the same universe. Try again.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »

Zelda started in a universe with a flat celestial body. It still is. Four swords has nothing to do with the universe of storyline zeldas. It was purely made for multiplayer interaction
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Catchpa

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:56 AM »

Zelda started in a universe with a flat celestial body. It still is. Four swords has nothing to do with the universe of storyline zeldas. It was purely made for multiplayer interaction

The picture I provided is from the Zelda universe. The picture shows a curvature on the earth. Therefore the Zelda universe must have some curvature, which proves that the earth is not fact[in the game].

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:43 AM »
Incorrect. The FSA is from a different universe.

Catchpa

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »
Incorrect. The FSA is from a different universe.

Incorrect. It is from the same universe. Still takes place in Hyrule.

Though, if we pretend you're right. Which of the universes are on earth?

Also, please provide a picture of a flat celestial body from the first Zelda game.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:11:53 AM by Catchpa »

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »
I can see people are still curious about theories about Zelda's origins.
One of the most telling signs that Zelda depicts a flat world is it's story
of creation. Retold by the royal family and those guarding the coveted
TRIFORCE

Before time began,
before spirits and life existed...

Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule...

Din, the goddess of power...

Nayru, the goddess of wisdom...

Farore, the goddess of courage...

Din...

With her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth.

Nayru...

Poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world.

Farore...

With her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law

The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens...

And the golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world.

Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis of our world's providence.

And the resting point of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm.

Notice a couple things. When retelling of the story is going on, the Goddesses are raining down on the Earth and upon creation, create the energy and layout for the Earth in a BLUE FLAT DISK THAT EXPANDS. Watch it yourself if you don't believe me. Also, after the addition of Din's help, mountain scenes go by without so much as the slightest curvature visible from such glorious heights.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:44:29 PM by Jack »

Catchpa

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
Ow, so we're no longer on the planet earth? That sure is great evidence that the developers(or some of them) believes in a flat earth, and didn't totally just make up an entirely new universe and applied their own laws.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »
The retelling uses the word Earth specifically.

Catchpa

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 08:44:21 AM »
Please link to this retelling.

Though it still doesn't matter. All the Zelda games mentioned has so far been from the same universe, and you have no proof that the Hyrule mentioned in Four Sword is a different Hyrule.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:53:51 AM by Catchpa »

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »
if you want to make a round earth in a video game, you'd have to make it so large it wouldn't fit on the CD.  That or, make it contain mostly textureless land.  By mostly i mean more than 99%.  So basically, they wouldnt take so much time to make meanlingless content in a video game when they could just confine it to a small space

Catchpa

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
if you want to make a round earth in a video game, you'd have to make it so large it wouldn't fit on the CD.  That or, make it contain mostly textureless land.  By mostly i mean more than 99%.  So basically, they wouldnt take so much time to make meanlingless content in a video game when they could just confine it to a small space

Not FE logic.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »

Though it still doesn't matter. All the Zelda games mentioned has so far been from the same universe, and you have no proof that the Hyrule mentioned in Four Sword is a different Hyrule.
Ok, then since they are in the same universe, FSA exists on a flat earth.

Catchpa

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »

A flat earth with a seen curvature. That's not flat at all.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 09:53:31 AM »

That picture is not an in-game screen shot. It means nothing.

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »

When it comes from the poeple that developed the game, yes, yes it does.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:37:04 AM by Death-T »
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »

Flight Simulator X uses a round earth model. It fits nicely on one DVD.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Catchpa

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »

Moving the goalpost, I see.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »
I can see people are still curious about theories about Zelda's origins.
One of the most telling signs that Zelda depicts a flat world is it's story
of creation. Retold by the royal family and those guarding the coveted
TRIFORCE

Before time began,
before spirits and life existed...

Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule...

Din, the goddess of power...

Nayru, the goddess of wisdom...

Farore, the goddess of courage...

Din...

With her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth.

Nayru...

Poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world.

Farore...

With her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law

The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens...

And the golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world.

Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis of our world's providence.

And the resting point of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm.

Notice a couple things. When retelling of the story is going on, the Goddesses are raining down on the Earth and upon creation, create the energy and layout for the Earth in a BLUE FLAT DISK THAT EXPANDS. Watch it yourself if you don't believe me. Also, after the addition of Din's help, mountain scenes go by without so much as the slightest curvature visible from such glorious heights.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:45:06 PM by Jack »

Catchpa

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
I'm sorry, but you've linked to the wrong video.

Death-T

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »

Fail. First off, there was no real reason to make the quote the size of Texas beyond a simple bold-face; what you did is something I expect of a ten year old trying to make up space for a paper he didn't write fully.

The video proves nothing. All we have is a vague mystical blue object expanding and compressing (the extant we never see) and an overview of uneven mountain terrain, a fair bit which was obscured by fog at one point. None of which even remotely implies a flat Earth if you have reasoning skills beyond a fourth grader. However, what we do have is an map of one of the Zelda games..... featuring curvature.

So, I'll add Zelda to the list of games that features round planets (can't really call it Earth.).

Would you like to fail more?
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »
Did you even watch it  ::)

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 12:46:48 PM »

Fail. First off, there was no real reason to make the quote the size of Texas beyond a simple bold-face; what you did is something I expect of a ten year old trying to make up space for a paper he didn't write fully.

The video proves nothing. All we have is a vague mystical blue object expanding and compressing (the extant we never see) and an overview of uneven mountain terrain, a fair bit which was obscured by fog at one point. None of which even remotely implies a flat Earth if you have reasoning skills beyond a fourth grader. However, what we do have is an map of one of the Zelda games..... featuring curvature.

So, I'll add Zelda to the list of games that features round planets (can't really call it Earth.).

Actually a round earth would never form from a flat disk of energy and particles.
 The windwaker has a flat map.
 There is not one map of Zelda featuring a round earth.

Catchpa

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »

You said they mentioned that they created the Earth. Notice the capital "E"? If it's simply the earth, then it's just referring to the noun, which the video in question was.

::)

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »

You said they mentioned that they created the Earth. Notice the capital "E"? If it's simply the earth, then it's just referring to the noun, which the video in question was.

::)
???

Death-T

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »

Actually a round earth would never form from a flat disk of energy and particles.

- You have such knowledge of the mystic arts that you know this? Also - we never see the extant of the blue halo. As in, we don't see the planet created in it fullness. The effect could have easily has a slight curve we don't see as we don't see on our own planet with out very even ground or water over vast distances. We can't even estimate the size of the halo in question.

-A flat map doesn't mean the world itself is flat. Hell, there are flat maps in DOW, that certainly doesn't mean the worlds are flat considering they're not.

- We have a map of Zelda - with curvature. Would you like to fail again?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

Actually a round earth would never form from a flat disk of energy and particles.[/b]

- You have such knowledge of the mystic arts that you know this? Also - we never see the extant of the blue halo. As in, we don't see the planet created in it fullness. The effect could have easily has a slight curve we don't see as we don't see on our own planet with out very even ground or water over vast distances. We can't even estimate the size of the halo in question.

-A flat map doesn't mean the world itself is flat. Hell, there are flat maps in DOW, that certainly doesn't mean the worlds are flat considering they're not.

- We have a map of Zelda - with curvature. Would you like to fail again?
We could see the whole extent of the blue energy. There is no chance of a curve.
The flat maps project the flat earth.
I have yet to see a Zelda map with no curve.

Catchpa

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
We could see the whole extent of the blue energy. There is no chance of a curve.

Uhm, the blue energy is the supposed blue circle that expands and contracts? That doesn't show anything at all, other than apparent "oohh magic!!", then it 'fades' to white and the picture that shows most of Zelda-land is the cave with rocks thing. Doesn't show any anything of importance AT ALL.

I don't even know what you mean by the second sentence.

What the fuck? I've seen both a zelda map with curve AND with no curve.

Death-T

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »

;D

Anyway, I like the fact you just side-steped my question and gave no real answer beyond we saw the extant - which is bullshit because it exploded into the horizon during a whiteout.

And Flat maps are used for convience - we have such maps on our round planet and can only use them in conjuction with certain intruments to simulate a round Earth.

Besides, there are lots of games that use flat maps on round planets.

Care to fail again? This is great fun.