Why I became a Flat Earther

• 35 Replies
?

Deceiver

• The grant money made me do it.
Re: Why I became a Flat Earther
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
And then there is the fact that bodies of water have been shown to have no curving--at all.
Have you ever seen a drop of water?  Notice how it's a little ball?  Now, imagine that on a really large scale.
Thank you, come again.

Can I confirm, please, that you believe droplets of water are held together by gravity?

No, you cannot. He was obviously making a connection metaphorically.

I am afraid that metaphors carry little stock with men of hard science such as myself. Perhaps he ought to see if he can get to the facts of the matter rather than dallying on word-play and sophistry.

Hard science requires that you manage to predict something with mathematically proven models or through empirical data. Do you have any equations or hard data that allow you to predict anything at all?

No such thing exists -- so FE'rs are clearly people of pseudo-science, probably more in line with the occult though).

Sliver

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »
And then there is the fact that bodies of water have been shown to have no curving--at all.
Have you ever seen a drop of water?  Notice how it's a little ball?  Now, imagine that on a really large scale.
Thank you, come again.

Can I confirm, please, that you believe droplets of water are held together by gravity?
He said water doesn't curve.  I proved him wrong.  What causes it to curve is irrelevant.

But to put your mind at ease, what holds water droplets together is a little thing called "surface tension".
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:58:34 PM by Sliver »

?

Gigamonsta

• Earth Shape Agnostic (ESA) - QUESTION EVERYTHING
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »
Though IM an ESA (earth shape agnostic) I really get where one star bandits coming from! i too have had svrl questions like he has. as i become more open mindedd i think abou this stuff. im still not completly sure though. i wonder what more rational round earthers say to this post? have they ever questioned their beliefs!?

?

Bernie M

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
You became a flat earther because you are a hardcore physist.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
This is just a huge cookie cutter argument from minority and how you shouldn't blindly trust authority and that therefore it's wrong.

Fallacious.