Ebert Hates 3D

• 28 Replies
?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
Ebert Hates 3D
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
I think I agree with most of what he says. Although I think the novelty of 3D movies can be pleasing sometimes. But it's hard to imagine movies like Annie Hall being in 3D.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/237110/page/2
Think hard. Think Flat.

Lorddave

Re: Ebert Hates 3D
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »
I agree that 3D is not a requirement.  I enjoy it myself.  I saw Avatar, UP, "How to train your Dragon", Monsters vs Aliens, and well... mostly CGI movies in 3D and they look wonderful.  It isn't a requirement but the idea is for me to be happy.  And if 3D makes me giddy, why not see it?

The surcharge I can also understand.  Not just the projectors but those glasses.  They cost money and probably quite a bit too.

But this is human technology:
We don't advance because it's better, we advance because we want to.  We strive for something new, something more.  3D has been done many times before but now we finally have the ability to make it much better than the old "red and green" glasses.  That's progress for progress's sake.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

grogberries

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Well you view it as progress. I do not and see it more as a folly than a technological innovation. I think that Ebert's best point is that '3D' movies are a misnomer. Movies on a flat screen are still 3D. Humans process spacial dimensions using brain functions. The surface of the eye light hits is essentially 2D. Looking at a flat movie screen is not much different from looking out a window. It would be weird if 3D glasses where made that turned windows into a '3D' experience.  
Think hard. Think Flat.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
It's a cool novelty. Ebert needs to chill.

?

grogberries

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »
Yeah, but you and I have the choice not to watch these. But it's Ebert's job to watch these and give serious thoughts about them. I think he has a right to state an opposition to them.
Think hard. Think Flat.

Lorddave

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
Well you view it as progress. I do not and see it more as a folly than a technological innovation. I think that Ebert's best point is that '3D' movies are a misnomer. Movies on a flat screen are still 3D. Humans process spacial dimensions using brain functions. The surface of the eye light hits is essentially 2D. Looking at a flat movie screen is not much different from looking out a window. It would be weird if 3D glasses where made that turned windows into a '3D' experience.  

True, but if we ignore it, then we'll never get to holographic technology.  Imagine if you could have your screen appear in thin air instead of having to open your laptop?  Or your keyboard appear so you could type anywhere at any time?

The desire must be there and to build that desire you make 3D movies that appear to come out of the screen even though they don't.  This generates interest.  Currently the glasses are the big problem that companies are pouring research into.  If they can remove the glasses and have a movie screen or TV actually project a 3D image they'd make billions. 
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
Ebert is lucky to be alive still. 

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 03:27:47 AM »
3D, a gimmick which will run it's course in about 6 months or so, especially that faux 3D which makes it look like a pop-out picture book. Avatar worked in 3D because it was filmed with 3D in mind

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »
Roger Ebert can suck a bag of dicks.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
I hope he dies soon so people will stop justifying their shitty tastes in movies with his increasingly shitty reviews.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »
I hope he dies soon so people will stop justifying their shitty tastes in movies with his increasingly shitty reviews.

This x100.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
it's hard to imagine movies like Annie Hall being in 3D.

I convinced a friend that they were going to release Schindlers List 3D.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »

You have friends?!!!?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »

Not anymore he can't.

I dont think his jaw works much anymore.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »

You have friends?!!!?

Who said anything about plural?!?!?!?!

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
I have never seen a movie in 3D. I was still gobsmacked when I went to see avatar. 3D is not a necessity to make a movie enjoyable, interesting, or pretty. It's a bit like making a perfect fillet Mignon and then serving it with ketchup.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »

Not anymore he can't.

I dont think his jaw works much anymore.

That picture has given me many a sleepless night.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
3D is losing it's "specialness" with it being apart of just a bout every new movie -_-

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »
3D is losing it's "specialness" with it being apart of just a bout every new movie -_-

>Implying 3D is supposed to be a rare and awesome feature to movies that you think only deserve to have it.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »

>Implying 3D is supposed to be a rare and awesome feature to movies that you think only deserve to have it.

wat

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »
to certain movies*

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »

wat

It's an internet thing. If you understood it, you probably wouldn't have any faith left. So you're better off not getting it.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
I have never seen a movie in 3D. I was still gobsmacked when I went to see avatar. 3D is not a necessity to make a movie enjoyable, interesting, or pretty. It's a bit like making a perfect fillet Mignon and then serving it with ketchup.

It's more like making a perfect fillet mignon and serving it with a blowjob.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:51 PM »

no it isnt  :(

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »

It's called an opinion, to which I'm entitled to.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »

It's called an opinion, to which I'm entitled to.

no you arent  :(

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
Opinions are for fags. Facts are where it's at.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »

Oh, I'll try this with facts, then.

3D movies are different from non-3D movies. Which is pretty different. As movies are entirely subjective, there is no difference in any measurable variable which one can say improves or degrades the movie-going experience. Therefore, the argument is needless.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »

ily  :-*