I'd Like A Flat Earth Believers Perspective On A Few Questions

• 80 Replies
?

frozen_berries

Re: I'd Like A Flat Earth Believers Perspective On A Few Questions
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2010, 04:25:36 AM »
uh yes, you do have to have credentials. We are at a point now where moderate education is necessary to progress any field of science...

Do you not think it presumptuous to state that the dictionary is incorrect?

Do you not think it is presumptuous to state that the dictionary is incorrect?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Antarctica
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/earth
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sun

?

Deceiver

• The grant money made me do it.
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2010, 07:05:03 AM »
Yet still, just as it is not required that you wear a lab coat to be a scientist (by definition), you neither have to fulfill your requirements.

Why are you repeating what we already agreed on. Yes, the definition does not say explicitly how you become a scientist. You are again assuming that the dictionary is all inclusive or rules out criteria. Brevity is the purpose of a dictionary... if it was to actually explain anything, then it would be called an Encyclopedia.

An example:
star? ?[stahr]  Show IPA ,noun, adjective, verb,starred, star·ring.
–noun
any of the heavenly bodies, except the moon, appearing as fixed luminous points in the sky at night.

Notice that there is nothing about atomic fusion or electron states. Yet, the release of energy from atomic fusion is precisely what makes it luminous...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:04:12 PM by Deceiver »

Sliver

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
What the hell does any of this have to do with the thread topic?

Catchpa

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
What the hell does any of this have to do with the thread topic?

Nothing, really. It evolved from pongo being too dumb to understand how you become a scientist.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
What do you believe is needed, in terms of men and material, to gaurd the ice wall to the point we don't have a single bit of evidence of it being guarded or a picture of the "beyond?"

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Something more than a lot.  To be totally truthful though, I suspect that the 'ice wall' isn't even habitable by human beings.  I would suspect there is a toxic atmosphere or perhaps even none at all.  It's hard to tell the ramifications on the body being in such proximity to the edge of the world.  It can't be healthy.  If this were true, then it would take a very few people to guard the wall.

Do you have evidence of this toxic atmosphere..... or even a scientific reason beyond " I thinkz it should be so?" Besides, we have had several, independent expeditions to the poles.... and they didn't seem to be gagging on toxic atmoshpere. Oh wait..... let me guess... they're part of the conspiracy too, Ima rite? /rolls eyes/
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
You're arguing about how you become a scientist, to a scientist, when you're not really sure anyway?

No, I was not.  Please reread the thread to understand what I was saying.

uh yes, you do have to have credentials. We are at a point now where moderate education is necessary to progress any field of science...

Do you not think it presumptuous to state that the dictionary is incorrect?

Do you not think it is presumptuous to state that the dictionary is incorrect?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Antarctica
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/earth
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sun

Yes.

What do you believe is needed, in terms of men and material, to gaurd the ice wall to the point we don't have a single bit of evidence of it being guarded or a picture of the "beyond?"

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Something more than a lot.  To be totally truthful though, I suspect that the 'ice wall' isn't even habitable by human beings.  I would suspect there is a toxic atmosphere or perhaps even none at all.  It's hard to tell the ramifications on the body being in such proximity to the edge of the world.  It can't be healthy.  If this were true, then it would take a very few people to guard the wall.

Do you have evidence of this toxic atmosphere..... or even a scientific reason beyond " I thinkz it should be so?"

No, that is why I qualified the statement with the word "suspect" rather than stating it as fact.

Catchpa

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
You're arguing about how you become a scientist, to a scientist, when you're not really sure anyway?

He's a scientist. Hence the "to a scientist"
You're not really sure. Which you admitted.
You're arguing how you become a scientist. You said his definition was wrong, hence arguing.

You got to be a troll.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »

You're arguing how you become a scientist. You said his definition was wrong, hence arguing.

You got to be a troll.

I said I was unsure the manpower needed to guard the "ice wall", not that I was unsure how to become a scientist.  You are either quote mining or have a serious deficiency in reading comprehension.

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
Guarding the "ice wall" would require only one person, considering it's actually just a single point.

?

Deceiver

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:50 AM »
For a conspiracy that spans the entire earth, it's pretty sweet that only the United States has a flag there.

Perhaps our ice guards are in conflict with other nation's ice guards? Ultimate 'Capture the Flag' tournament?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:07:52 AM by Deceiver »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2010, 03:01:56 AM »
\
An example:
star? ?[stahr]  Show IPA ,noun, adjective, verb,starred, star?ring.
?noun
any of the heavenly bodies, except the moon, appearing as fixed luminous points in the sky at night.

Notice that there is nothing about atomic fusion or electron states. Yet, the release of energy from atomic fusion is precisely what makes it luminous...

If I said that nebula's and galaxies visible to the naked eye are stars, would I be correct or incorrect by that definition?

If I said Venus was a star, would I be correct or incorrect by that definition?

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2010, 04:05:07 AM »
For a conspiracy that spans the entire earth, it's pretty sweet that only the United States has a flag there.

Perhaps our ice guards are in conflict with other nation's ice guards? Ultimate 'Capture the Flag' tournament?

I'm with Red Team. Blue team sucks.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2010, 04:43:21 AM »

*ahem*
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Catchpa

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »

You got to be a troll.

I said I was unsure the manpower needed to guard the "ice wall", not that I was unsure how to become a scientist.  You are either quote mining or have a serious deficiency in reading comprehension.

So you know how to become a scientist  then?

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »
\
An example:
?noun

If I said that nebula's and galaxies visible to the naked eye are stars, would I be correct or incorrect by that definition?

You just proved his point that you cannot take the dictionary as the be all and end all.

Or didn't you see that you just walked into your own trap with that last comment?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
\
An example:
?noun

You just proved his point that you cannot take the dictionary as the be all and end all.

Or didn't you see that you just walked into your own trap with that last comment?

When did I say the dictionary is an end-all be-all resource?

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2010, 05:11:31 AM »
You act like it.

Catchpa

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2010, 06:34:50 AM »
When you use it to prove a point, you're very heavily referring to it.

?

Deceiver

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »
\
An example:
?noun

When did I say the dictionary is an end-all be-all resource?

You consistently say that I am wrong 'by definition'.

I quoted a definition that is obviously fallacious if taken at face value. Which you proved with your Venus comment.

Yet you have been clinging on so heavily to the 'by definition' argument throughout this entire thread... proving that you regard the dictionary as an end-all-be-all text.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:24:01 AM by Deceiver »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
No, all it proves is what I've been saying all along.  It's a simple point, I don't understand why you can't grasp it.  You were, by definition, wrong.  Saying the dictionary is not the end-all source, looking up other definitions, and pointing out my vast and unyielding ignorance may all be correct.  Yet, it will never change the fact that you were, by definition, wrong.

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2010, 01:18:03 PM »

*ahem*

is that the magnetic one?