What's the deal with...

• 101 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: What's the deal with...
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2010, 05:44:23 AM »
Stop ignoring the bits of my posts which show why you're wrong. This board is not a playground. It's a place for members to express genuine concerns. The meaning of my statement was perfectly obvious, so stop being an ass or face a ban.

Nothing in your post showed why I was wrong. My post was genuine and sincere. Your inability to deal with it in a proper and mature way only highlights the problems you have here at TFES.

I've "made cases" on the previous occasions when I've been unjustly banned. It's the same old story: Wilmore/James/John Davis post something dumb and then as a consequence get shown why it's dumb. Rather than having to acknowledge this you (as a review panel collective) opt for the ban. There is no "review panel" other than...

"That guy was an ass to me"
"Yeah, he was. I was definitely molested by conspiracy goats. He had no right to challenge me."
"OK well I already banned him anyway"
"Oh good"

I'm not objecting to the fact that run your board like this. Hell it's your square of the precious internez and you are allowed to piss on who you like. But don't pretend you have any kind of virtuous and just system.

How can you possibly know any of this, given that these discussions take place in the mod board? The answer is that you can't, and that you're making all of this up despite the fact that you have no idea what goes on. There is a review process, and we do scrutinize each others decisions, something that can easily be proved. You get banned because you continually break the rules, and continually ignore warnings to stop doing so. Just about everyone here agrees that you're a troll, so the idea that it's just me and John ganging up on you is totally ridiculous.

Also, as a former mod, Crustinator, you're pretty correct in your statements. I don't understand why Willmore and John are trying to cloud that fact. But seriously, let it the fuck go already. They aren't going to give in, no matter how right you may be.

I'm glad you brought this up Hara, because "as a former mod" you actually prove that a review process exists. You consistently made poor decisions, whether banning people for no good reason or just breaking the rules yourself. You are the main reason that the Rule Enforcement Guidelines were created, and furthermore, you actually argued against bringing them in! Not only that, but the main reason you were demodded was because of your seeming inability to moderate in accordance with those guidelines.

Given all that, I think it's extremely dishonest of you to tell Crusty that he's "pretty correct" in his assertion that there is no review process, when a) you actively argued against the introduction of the guidelines b) some of your decisions were reversed or modified after scrutiny by other mods, and c) your demotion was largely caused by your inability to conform to the new, explicit guidelines that I brought in.

No they don't. I got more than 300 posts now, and I have yet to see any contact details for any mod. I don't know how to use IRC, Yahoo, ICQ and all FE'ers are too afraid to reveal their own identity, meaning Facebook is not an option either. That leaves me with MSN and Aim(e-mail is merged with both). At this point I still don't have the contact details.

Though you seem to have missed my point, I'll highlight it.

but the vast majority don't - and shouldn't be expected to either.

We're discussing a way of enabling members to contact the administration if they're unable to access the site and don't know why, but I don't think it'll change anything in terms of disuputing bans, so don't get your hopes up. As I said earlier, we already log and review all bans issued.

Incidentally, I don't know what you mean by "FE'ers are too afraid to reveal their own identity, meaning Facebook is not an option either". The FES has a Facebook page, which is regularly advertised at the top of the forum (in other words, it's not our fault if you don't know it exists). Several mods (including myself) admin the page, and I regularly post there, so please check your facts before making such inaccurate statements.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 08:05:03 AM »
Its not our fault you're too lazy to find ways to contact mods. Or you can take the initiative and note down a mod's email address now in case you are banned in the future, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have their email address listed on their profile.

I created a post listing the contact details of all the mods, using the information available freely on this site. This was intended to help people contact the mods in the case of being banned.

The post was deleted.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »
Its not our fault you're too lazy to find ways to contact mods. Or you can take the initiative and note down a mod's email address now in case you are banned in the future, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have their email address listed on their profile.

I created a post listing the contact details of all the mods, using the information available freely on this site. This was intended to help people contact the mods in the case of being banned.

The post was deleted.

Its not much use creating a list on here cos if you're banned you can't see it.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
Its not much use creating a list on here cos if you're banned you can't see it.

True. But I thought it was at least a step in the right direction. People can cut and paste it in preparation for the big day. Wilmore seemed to think differently. Oh well.

(Oh and it is possible to set banned members so they can just read the forums and not post, or log in)

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
Wat? Try joining the FES facebook group, you'll see lots of FE'ers on there, not afraid to reveal their identities. Its not our fault you're too lazy to find ways to contact mods. Or you can take the initiative and note down a mod's email address now in case you are banned in the future, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have their email address listed on their profile.
I don't see why, in case I get banned for no good reason, that I should have all these notes written down so that I can contact a mod. If one posts and plays by the rules, then gets punished wrongly, they are now shot in the foot because they figured "Hey, I post correctly and don't get in trouble. Why would I need to have the contact info for the mods?"

There's no reason not to see the contacts after ban, at least. I can see how posting in Suggestions after getting a ban would be a bad idea, and would have mods do nothing in here but deleting posts, but I also feel like just clicking the delete button isn't such a time-consuming thing. Real complaints will be kept, spam will be deleted.
Poor grammar is the internet equivalent of body odor.
My site.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »
Wat? Try joining the FES facebook group, you'll see lots of FE'ers on there, not afraid to reveal their identities. Its not our fault you're too lazy to find ways to contact mods. Or you can take the initiative and note down a mod's email address now in case you are banned in the future, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have their email address listed on their profile.
I don't see why, in case I get banned for no good reason, that I should have all these notes written down so that I can contact a mod. If one posts and plays by the rules, then gets punished wrongly, they are now shot in the foot because they figured "Hey, I post correctly and don't get in trouble. Why would I need to have the contact info for the mods?"

There's no reason not to see the contacts after ban, at least. I can see how posting in Suggestions after getting a ban would be a bad idea, and would have mods do nothing in here but deleting posts, but I also feel like just clicking the delete button isn't such a time-consuming thing. Real complaints will be kept, spam will be deleted.

I think in future we will be including a contact email address in bans so that people can make genuine complaints if they are banned. We do actually listen to the suggestions people have and try and do something about them. I'm just teasing Crusty about the contact info cos he is a silly troll.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »
I think in future we will be including a contact email address in bans so that people can make genuine complaints if they are banned. We do actually listen to the suggestions people have and try and do something about them. I'm just teasing Crusty about the contact info cos he is a silly troll.
Ah, well, now I feel silly for getting into this. Back into the shadows I go!
Poor grammar is the internet equivalent of body odor.
My site.

Catchpa

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »
Searching Flat Earth Society on Facebook yields at least 7 resulsts with the name "Flat Earth Society" on the first page, out of 233 results which I have not checked. I wouldn't know which one to look it, and it would be even harder to pin point which member is a mod.

Wilmore, what is your real name?
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
I'm glad you brought this up Hara, because "as a former mod" you actually prove that a review process exists. You consistently made poor decisions, whether banning people for no good reason or just breaking the rules yourself. You are the main reason that the Rule Enforcement Guidelines were created, and furthermore, you actually argued against bringing them in! Not only that, but the main reason you were demodded was because of your seeming inability to moderate in accordance with those guidelines.

First off, this is no longer about me so don't even go there. Secondly, I was against the majority of the guidelines because they were flat out bullshit. I put my two cents in, but none of you wanted to hear what I had to say because you all wanted to play "let's pretend to believe" with this FET crap. I was doing absolutely fine with my job as a mod for nearly a year until the lot of you started attacking me out of nowhere, that's when I said fuck it and didn't give a shit about what your little club felt was right.

Furthermore, maybe you should demote your fellow mod John Davis, clearly he cannot moderate justly as well with that "troublemaking" claim in my recent banishment. If stirring the pot of lies is troublemaking, then so be it.

Stop avoiding the issues and actually do the right thing for once and stop being such fucking douchenozzles to everyone because it was a fellow fet clubmember that got put on blast, all of it legitimate reasons as well. That is what is occurring and nothing less.

I don't want to be on the mod team with you so don't even try and argue that is why I am speaking out this way. It's a website, I honestly could care less, I am apparently very capable of doing something else. But the others here, they enjoy coming here, and they do somewhat give a fuck about whatever it is they give a fuck about with this place. Figure this shit out for them, at least, and stop dicking around the bush.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:19:58 PM by cmdshft »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
The FES facebook group is linked in the news bit on the top of the forum but because I'm nice I shall link you directly http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23033272998&ref=ts

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2010, 02:25:43 PM »
The FES facebook group is linked in the news bit on the top of the forum but because I'm nice I shall link you directly http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23033272998&ref=ts

I don't think all 400+ members are believers.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »

I don't think all 400+ members are believers.

Did anyone say they were?  :-\

Catchpa

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »

Not possible when you're banned, and you'd have no idea of distinguishing the mods between the 400+ members.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »

Not possible when you're banned, and you'd have no idea of distinguishing the mods between the 400+ members.

Are you really this retarted? You could try looking at seeing who are the admins to the group and make the educated guess that they would be mods...

Catchpa

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »

Are you really this retarted? You could try looking at seeing who are the admins to the group and make the educated guess that they would be mods...

Before calling someone an insult, make sure you know how to spell it properly first, retard.

My point still stands: Not possible when you're banned, and as an addition I'm not much for revealing my identity on this site.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »

Before calling someone an insult, make sure you know how to spell it properly first, retard.

My point still stands: Not possible when you're banned, and as an addition I'm not much for revealing my identity on this site.

Lurk moar.

And what is not possible when you're banned? You can visit the facebook page when you're banned and contact one of the admins of the group on there, or even just make a post on the wall.

Catchpa

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »

Lurk moar.

And what is not possible when you're banned? You can visit the facebook page when you're banned and contact one of the admins of the group on there, or even just make a post on the wall.

It's still not to be expected that people use alternative methods to protest their ban, and even less expected that they should reveal their real life identity.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

Lurk moar.

It's still not to be expected that people use alternative methods to protest their ban, and even less expected that they should reveal their real life identity.

I'm sure if someone really was concerned that they were unfairly banned they would use alternative methods to protest the ban. But anyway, its already been said in this thread that we are working on providing contact details for protesting bans in the future, so what are you still moaning about? Your complaint has been listened to and action has been taken on it.

Catchpa

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2010, 03:06:22 PM »
You're the one who keeps this conversation going, I'm simply just responding to make it clearer for you.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
Then I guess this concern is addressed and I can lock this thread.

Edit: Or unlock it as I forgot the original question wasn't complaining about bans but about viewing the forums.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:18:36 PM by Colonel Gaydafi »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »

The post was deleted.

This board is for making suggestions or raising concerns; your thread did neither. In any event, it was redundant.

There's no reason not to see the contacts after ban, at least.

Well there is, because the software doesn't allow it. There's nothing we can do about that unfortunately.

I can see how posting in Suggestions after getting a ban would be a bad idea, and would have mods do nothing in here but deleting posts, but I also feel like just clicking the delete button isn't such a time-consuming thing. Real complaints will be kept, spam will be deleted.

Yes, but what happens when the spam is thread after thread filled with gay porn, all over the top two boards? Or child porn? If there's no mod here when it gets posted, it could be up for hours, and this has happened in the past. Likewise, if people can access the site, they can access their profiles, and fill their signature and avatar with child porn or something similar. Before I was made an admin, a banned member with over 1,000 posts did exactly that, and I had to manually delete each post one at a time, because only admins can delete or alter profiles (at the time, Daniel was the only admin).

You have to understand that these are not isolated incidents. Things have actually been pretty quiet in this respect lately, but only a week ago Gayer had to delete a bunch of posts made by someone who edited porn into his old posts. If we give banned members the chance to do this kind of stuff, a lot of them will.

Searching Flat Earth Society on Facebook yields at least 7 resulsts with the name "Flat Earth Society" on the first page, out of 233 results which I have not checked. I wouldn't know which one to look it, and it would be even harder to pin point which member is a mod.

Look, it's not our job to hold your hand. Anyone who really wants to find us there will, as we're one of the first results and have the FES logo on our page. As for knowing who is who, you don't need to know which of us are mods. You can just join the group and make a post there, and one of us will get it. It sounds to me like you just want to be able to bitch at whoever bans you. If that's the case, then frankly all I can say is that I have no interest in setting up a venting system for irrate RE'ers.

I'm not much for revealing my identity on this site.

I think it's pretty funy that a second ago you wer accusing us of being afraid to reveal our identities, asked me for my real name, and then come out with this. ::)

It's clear that what you really want is to be able to send mods angry PMs venting about your ban. Maybe you get the chance to do that on other forums, but things work differently here. It's our job to enforce the rules, not to humour the people who break them.

First off, this is no longer about me so don't even go there. Secondly, I was against the majority of the guidelines because they were flat out bullshit. I put my two cents in, but none of you wanted to hear what I had to say because you all wanted to play "let's pretend to believe" with this FET crap. I was doing absolutely fine with my job as a mod for nearly a year until the lot of you started attacking me out of nowhere, that's when I said fuck it and didn't give a shit about what your little club felt was right.

Furthermore, maybe you should demote your fellow mod John Davis, clearly he cannot moderate justly as well with that "troublemaking" claim in my recent banishment. If stirring the pot of lies is troublemaking, then so be it.

Stop avoiding the issues and actually do the right thing for once and stop being such fucking douchenozzles to everyone because it was a fellow fet clubmember that got put on blast, all of it legitimate reasons as well. That is what is occurring and nothing less.

I don't want to be on the mod team with you so don't even try and argue that is why I am speaking out this way. It's a website, I honestly could care less, I am apparently very capable of doing something else. But the others here, they enjoy coming here, and they do somewhat give a fuck about whatever it is they give a fuck about with this place. Figure this shit out for them, at least, and stop dicking around the bush.

How about instead of ranting, you come up with some constructive criticism? I can't upgrade the site, and I can't change the fact thatwe regularly get porno trolls. These are realities, and I can't wave them away with a magic wand.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:35:38 AM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
This may seem a little bit ironic coming from me, but I don't see why being blocked out of the website entirely when banned is inherently a problem.  The whole point of a ban is punishment, after all.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »

How about instead of ranting, you come up with some constructive criticism? I can't upgrade the site, and I can't change the fact thatwe regularly get porno trolls. These are realities, and I can't wave them away with a magic wand.

I've highlighted what I can reasonably discern you are well within your ability to handle.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2010, 05:44:35 AM »
First of all, I couldn't demote John even if I wanted (which I most certainly don't). Only Daniel can make that call, as you know. As for telling me to "do the right thing", that doesn't really help. I can't click my heels and say 'Spike Lee' to magic up a solution.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2010, 07:21:31 AM »
This board is for making suggestions or raising concerns; your thread did neither. In any event, it was redundant.

It was a suggestion to group all mod contacts in a response to Gayers concern that members should prepare themselves adequately for a ban.

It was intended to help members. It was pretty clear that that's what it was for.

If it was in the wrong part of the forum then you could have moved it to another. But you chose to delete it.

I find that strange.

Likewise, if people can access the site, they can access their profiles,

As an experienced administrator you should know that this isn't true.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »

It was a suggestion to group all mod contacts in a response to Gayers concern that members should prepare themselves adequately for a ban.

It was intended to help members. It was pretty clear that that's what it was for.

If it was in the wrong part of the forum then you could have moved it to another. But you chose to delete it.

I find that strange.

Well, I'm perfectly satisfied that I made the right decision. Your 'intentions' are well known.

Likewise, if people can access the site, they can access their profiles,

As an experienced administrator you should know that this isn't true.

How do you make that out? Assuming this isn't some kind of irrelevant anality, when banning someone one can either prevent them from posting (in which case they can still access their profile) or prevent them from logging in. There's no inbetween, unfortunately.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »
Your 'intentions' are well known.

Wow really? Care to elaborate this thinly veiled snipe?

when banning someone one can either prevent them from posting (in which case they can still access their profile) or prevent them from logging in.

Act on underlined. I am only here to help.

Catchpa

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »

Look, it's not our job to hold your hand. Anyone who really wants to find us there will, as we're one of the first results and have the FES logo on our page. As for knowing who is who, you don't need to know which of us are mods. You can just join the group and make a post there, and one of us will get it. It sounds to me like you just want to be able to bitch at whoever bans you. If that's the case, then frankly all I can say is that I have no interest in setting up a venting system for irrate RE'ers.

I'm not much for revealing my identity on this site.

I think it's pretty funy that a second ago you wer accusing us of being afraid to reveal our identities, asked me for my real name, and then come out with this. ::)

It's clear that what you really want is to be able to send mods angry PMs venting about your ban. Maybe you get the chance to do that on other forums, but things work differently here. It's our job to enforce the rules, not to humour the people who break them.

With 233 results where the majority is "The Flat Earth Society" you really can't expect anyone to know exactly which one the mods look at.

Look, I'm not trying to bitch at you when being banned. I've already stated that if I wanted to, I would've used a proxy(You don't ban all proxies FYI). Now please don't tell me what is "clear" that I'm doing, when you're obviously wrong ignoring my previous statements.

Hell, stop telling people what the fuck their intentions are.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
First of all, I couldn't demote John even if I wanted (which I most certainly don't). Only Daniel can make that call, as you know. As for telling me to "do the right thing", that doesn't really help. I can't click my heels and say 'Spike Lee' to magic up a solution.

So why are you an admin again exactly?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »

So why are you an admin again exactly?
Lurk moar, newfag. It's been stated several times. Shit, you were even around when he was made an admin.