What would convince you?

• 52 Replies
Re: What would convince you?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 11:42:30 PM »
Bells go off in my head when I hear this "nothing can convince me" nonsense.  I take pride in the fact that my beliefs are shakeable, that evidence can change my mind, and that I can discard things I once accepted as true in search of the real truth.  There are two easy paths here: accept everything offhand, or reject everything offhand; neither of those paths require actual skepticism or thought.  It's pretty clear where you've drawn your lines, Roundy.

Lorddave

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 11:48:07 PM »
yet say that it's not because it couldn't be true.

When did I say that?  ???

I speculated that the reason you couldn't be convinced was because it wasn't true.  You said "no".

Roundy is saying it's impossible because the Earth is Flat.  As in it's impossible to present the evidence because it doesn't exist.
Your answer was "no".
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:07 AM »

Such an event would prove nothing more than that the Earth appears round from high altitudes.  As it seems a lot of REers like to point out, appearances can be deceiving.  It would do nothing to prove that the Earth actually is round.
I'm sorry but I have no respect for someone who could actually say such things. At least others here like Tom Bishop and others admit they'd be open to accepting the fact of a spherical Earth if they actually saw it with their own eyes.

And Roundy, your excuse about REers always saying "looks can be deceiving" is ridiculous... are you saying that the Earth looks flat in the rockies? In a simple hilly landscape? The reason the Earth looks somewhat flat from our perspective is because it's so large that we cannot see the curvature from the ground. If you go up into space and look back on the Earth, you're either going to see that it's flat or spherical, period. No amount of tricking could distort that from outer space.

By the way, is that avatar actually you, Roundy, or is it that annoying woman from Jersey Shore?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:30:20 AM by CIS »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »
It's pretty clear where you've drawn your lines, Roundy.

I'm not so sure.

I speculated that the reason you couldn't be convinced was because it wasn't true.  You said "no".

Roundy is saying it's impossible because the Earth is Flat.  As in it's impossible to present the evidence because it doesn't exist.
Your answer was "no".

I said "no" because you were wrong about what I was saying.  I just think it's impossible to present sufficient evidence to prove that the Earth is round.  That doesn't mean that REers haven't presented viable evidence in favor of their theory.  They just haven't presented sufficient evidence to demonstrate to me that a round Earth can be proven.

Such an event would prove nothing more than that the Earth appears round from high altitudes.  As it seems a lot of REers like to point out, appearances can be deceiving.  It would do nothing to prove that the Earth actually is round.
I'm sorry but I have no respect for someone who could actually say such things.

Then I have no respect for you, as my argument is entirely sound and you're not even willing to consider it as such.  Thus I feel no need to respond to your post as a whole.

By the way, is that avatar actually you, Roundy, or is it that annoying woman from Jersey Shore?

It's me, baby.  :-*
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lorddave

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »

Your answer was "no".

I said "no" because you were wrong about what I was saying.  I just think it's impossible to present sufficient evidence to prove that the Earth is round.  That doesn't mean that REers haven't presented viable evidence in favor of their theory.  They just haven't presented sufficient evidence to demonstrate to me that a round Earth can be proven.

There is only one reason why it is impossible to present sufficient evidence to prove that the Earth is round: It's not round.  Otherwise it's entirely possible.  It may not be practical but all we'd have to do is take you into space, fly you around the solar system and let you see. 

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
There is only one reason why it is impossible to present sufficient evidence to prove that the Earth is round: It's not round.  Otherwise it's entirely possible.  It may not be practical but all we'd have to do is take you into space, fly you around the solar system and let you see. 

I don't see how flying around the universe as you suggest would show me that the Earth must be round.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »

I don't see how flying around the universe as you suggest would show me that the Earth must be round.

So you obviously don't claim zeteticism then, right?

Lorddave

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »

Because you can see the Earth from any angle you choose.  
Shouldn't you be able to see an object's true shape when you look that object from every angle possible?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

Shouldn't you be able to see an object's true shape when you look that object from every angle possible?

As I said: appearances can be deceiving.

Lorddave

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »

As I thought you would.
So what you're saying is that it's impossible to prove the Earth is round because all experiments to prove it have a possibility of being an illusion?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »

Then you agree that the earth appearing flat can be deceiving?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:24 PM »

Yes.

?

Rahimz

• Creepers
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »

Yes.

So then the Earth is round.
The Flat Earth Society is awesome

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »

Yes.

Well, not that can be proven.  Who could ever say for sure which model is correct?

?

Rahimz

• Creepers
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 04:45:28 AM »

Yes.

Well, not that can be proven.  Who could ever say for sure which model is correct?

Me, obviously. I know the Earth is round, because I have common sense, and my crotch doesn't stick out.
The Flat Earth Society is awesome

?

Rob Valensky

• 9.8m/sē
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
The earth is flat because the FAQ says so.

?

char70ger

• The flat earth is a globe!!!
RE folks listen up.....
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time but do lurk from time to time. I am a RE believer but I have to say that the RE folks have it wrong. Seeing how this is the Flat Earth Society's website they need to prove nothing, it is their site and they can claim anything they want.  The job of RE folks is not to disprove FE, but rather prove RE beyond a shadow of a doubt. Too many of you get all huffed up and angry and believe the FE folks to be obtuse and belligerent but they are just waiting for RE proof, not FE disproof. Everyone needs to adjust their arguments to reflect this and you will make more headway with the RE argument.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:24:46 PM by char70ger »

Lorddave

Re: RE folks listen up.....
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time but do lurk from time to time. I am a RE believer but I have to say that the RE folks have it wrong. Seeing how this is the Flat Earth Society's website they need to prove nothing, it is their site and they can claim anything they want,  the job of RE folds is not to disprove FE but rather prove RE beyond a shadow of a doubt. Too many of you get all huffed up and angry and believe the FE folks to be obtuse and belligerent but they are just waiting for RE proof, not FE disproof. Everyone needs to adjust their arguments to reflect this and you will make more headway with the RE argument.

Nope.
After many many many attempts, they still maintain that the proof isn't accurate.

This is a belief, not a scientific theory.  We are in the Vatican trying to argue about evolution.  Nothing is going to change anyone's mind.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
Re: RE folks listen up.....
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time but do lurk from time to time. I am a RE believer but I have to say that the RE folks have it wrong. Seeing how this is the Flat Earth Society's website they need to prove nothing, it is their site and they can claim anything they want.  The job of RE folks is not to disprove FE, but rather prove RE beyond a shadow of a doubt. Too many of you get all huffed up and angry and believe the FE folks to be obtuse and belligerent but they are just waiting for RE proof, not FE disproof. Everyone needs to adjust their arguments to reflect this and you will make more headway with the RE argument.

I tried this, making a thread in which I invited the flat guys to give examples of phenomena that did not fit a round earth model.
They couldn't give any proper examples. If a theory cannot be disproven then it can be assumed true as it works in all known scenarios, until someone finds something that doesn't work. This is the nearest we can get to proving RET.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
It's better to find disproof of a theory than it is to find proof.

The proof is everywhere, the disproof is the straw that breaks the camels back.

?

Gigamonsta

• Earth Shape Agnostic (ESA) - QUESTION EVERYTHING
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »

As I thought you would.
So what you're saying is that it's impossible to prove the Earth is round because all experiments to prove it have a possibility of being an illusion?

If someone could really go int ospcae it is possible the earth'd be flat. we just don't know.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »

As I thought you would.

If someone could really go int ospcae it is possible the earth'd be flat. we just don't know.

There is nothing in FET that prevents going into space.  Nothing at all.  Nada.  Not one single principle.  Staying in space is another matter.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »
Staying in space is another matter.

Depends what bullshit theory you tune in on.

If planets and such are moving upwards, then should we be able to stay in space if we reach the threshold distance that allows the UA to push us up aswel?