Question about Bedford level experiment

• 0 Replies
Question about Bedford level experiment
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
I have read all about the experiment and still don't get the point of measuring temperature on both sides of the canal to take on account air refraction. I would measure refraction by taking different points of temperature vertically and horizontally trough the canal.  But, instead, Rowbotham only took two points of temperature and said "temperature is the same at both sides of the canal, therefore refraction does no happen" and that is entirely WRONG.

A temperature gradient of 0.11 celsius degree vertically can "bend" light and make it "follow" earth's curvature. And yes, this condition is pretty common over WATER BODIES. I can do the math if you don't belive me.

Following is my question: Did Rowbotham knew how refraction works? Did you, flat earthers, know this too?

From EnAG (2nd edition):

"There is no doubt, however, that it is possible for the atmosphere to have different temperature and density at two stations six miles apart; and some degree of refraction would thence result; but on several occasions the following steps were taken to ascertain whether any such differences existed. Two barometers, two thermometers, and two hygrometers, were obtained, each two being of the same make, and reading exactly alike. On a given day, at twelve o'clock, all the instruments were carefully examined, and both of each kind were found to stand at the same point or figure: the two, barometers showed the same density; the two thermometers the same temperature; and the two hygrometers the same degree of moisture in the air."

Also:

"Being surrounded with atmospheric air only, and the observer being in the same medium, there is no bending or refraction of the eye line. Nor would there be any refraction if the object and the observer were both surrounded with water."

The first paragraph misunderstands refraction, and the second is entirely wrong (because it is contradictory with the first)

What do you say, flat earthers?