lol joke?

• 38 Replies
?

earthflat?lol

lol joke?
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
this has to be a joke right.. there are not people this dumb in the world surely?? what about all the videos from space? do you think they all fake.. serious LOL if people still do.. in this day and age people think this is just hilarious..

so i presume this video is fake??

Re: lol joke?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:58 AM »
Cool video, enjoyed it.

Also this is the most asked question here. Sure there are plenty of trolls here, but the big contributers invest so much time in this stuff that I find it a bit easier to believe they are exactly as deluded as they seem rather than be quite that dedicated and pitiful a troll.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »
This site is for real. Some people here support FET because they enjoy the debate, but there are several real FE'ers, and I am one of them.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:15:28 PM »
What you'll find is that the number of pure "I believe in Flat Earth as a fact" people are pretty few.  Many just debate for the sake of debate and choose the side of Flat Earth just to be funny or for a challenge.  Or just because they feel like it.

And yes, that video is one that the Flat Earth Society considers to be fake.  They do this because if they didn't, they would have to admit they were wrong.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
This site is for real. Some people here support FET because they enjoy the debate, but there are several real FE'ers, and I am one of them.

As am I

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »
Some of us are trolls, but some of us are genuinely too stupid to realize that the fact that there's a horizon means that the Earth curves.

?

Rob Valensky

• 9.8m/sē
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »
this has to be a joke right.. there are not people this dumb in the world surely?? what about all the videos from space? do you think they all fake.. serious LOL if people still do.. in this day and age people think this is just hilarious..

so i presume this video is fake??

That video obviously is fake. I suggest you read the book "Earth Not a Globe" by the smartest person that ever lived, then read the FAQ. lurk more.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
Some of us are trolls, but some of us are genuinely too stupid to realize that the fact that there's a horizon means that the Earth curves.
There would be a horizon on a flat earth buddy. 
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »

I was kidding.  I know perfectly well that this is a Matrix fan site.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
No dude they are serious. And I mean if I were going to make a fake spaceship I would make it way cooler than that.  Have like all sorts of cool shit in space to.  Holy crap I would go crazy.  To bad it's real, and rockets have been made for nearly have a century.  Any moron who thinks we can't take a picture from space should stay on this forum.  Save your self from the world. Thanks

?

Rob Valensky

• 9.8m/sē
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
No dude they are serious. And I mean if I were going to make a fake spaceship I would make it way cooler than that.  Have like all sorts of cool shit in space to.  Holy crap I would go crazy.  To bad it's real, and rockets have been made for nearly have a centuryAny moron who thinks we can't take a picture from space should stay on this forum.  Save your self from the world. Thanks

Who's the moron here.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »

I was kidding.  I know perfectly well that this is a Matrix fan site.
No you weren't, you are just dumber than someone that thinks the earth is flat.

Congratulations, next time check your fail bucket at the door.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
No dude they are serious. And I mean if I were going to make a fake spaceship I would make it way cooler than that.  Have like all sorts of cool shit in space to.  Holy crap I would go crazy.  To bad it's real, and rockets have been made for nearly have a centuryAny moron who thinks we can't take a picture from space should stay on this forum.  Save your self from the world. Thanks

Who's the moron here.

oh my i said have instead of half.. yay retard.  you so smart!!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »

Who's the moron here.

Liquid fuel rockets have been around since 1926.  Solid fuel rockets have been around since about the 13th century.  Spelling errors are lame, but I think that you got his point.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »

I was kidding.  I know perfectly well that this is a Matrix fan site.
No you weren't, you are just dumber than someone that thinks the earth is flat.

Congratulations, next time check your fail bucket at the door.

No, you're right.  I seriously do think the Matrix is awesome.

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
This site consists of people who obviously pretend to believe, those who convincingly pretend to believe, people that stick to the proven facts and those who like to just make fun of people.

To my understanding, drunken members of a high-class club in England are responsible for the "Flat Earth Society".  It's a huge inside joke, but whether or not people actually believe in this as a result of this site is beyond me.  If any of the original creators of this society were to ever come out and say that it was all a joke...they wouldn't be making any money.

I personally find the concept quite entertaining and I'm impressed with it's long, on going run.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
This site consists of people who obviously pretend to believe, those who convincingly pretend to believe, people that stick to the proven facts and those who like to just make fun of people.

To my understanding, drunken members of a high-class club in England are responsible for the "Flat Earth Society".  It's a huge inside joke, but whether or not people actually believe in this as a result of this site is beyond me.  If any of the original creators of this society were to ever come out and say that it was all a joke...they wouldn't be making any money.

I personally find the concept quite entertaining and I'm impressed with it's long, on going run.

Just so you know, the society doesn't make any money. Everything Daniel sells, he sells at cost, and in fact I suspect he sells some of it below cost (I find it hard to believe he gets all the membership stuff for just $6). If this place is designed to make money, then it's incredibly unsuccessful.

As for being started by some English bar-flies, I don't know where you got that from. The original FES essentially died with its President, Charles K. Johnson. Daniel created this site in order to take up where the old society left off. I've never heard this pub story before.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Lorddave

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »

Just so you know, the society doesn't make any money. Everything Daniel sells, he sells at cost, and in fact I suspect he sells some of it below cost (I find it hard to believe he gets all the membership stuff for just $6). If this place is designed to make money, then it's incredibly unsuccessful.

As for being started by some English bar-flies, I don't know where you got that from. The original FES essentially died with its President, Charles K. Johnson. Daniel created this site in order to take up where the old society left off. I've never heard this pub story before.

So it's theoretically possible to bankrupt the society forcing the site to close and destroy what little communications FES has with it's members?

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:49:16 AM »
What? The site doesn't make money, it costs money. How the hell would forcing the site to close bankrupt Daniel, when all he does is spend money to keep it open?

???

Lorddave

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
What? The site doesn't make money, it costs money. How the hell would forcing the site to close bankrupt Daniel, when all he does is spend money to keep it open?

???

I didn't say that.
I said that it would be possible to critically damage the FES by forcing daniel to close the site due to financial issues. 

My point is that he is the one holding the site together and if he finds he can't do it anymore, would anyone else take up the mantle?

Sliver

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
My point is that he is the one holding the site together and if he finds he can't do it anymore, would anyone else take up the mantle?
Given how unwilling most of them are to provide actual evidence to support their theories, I doubt it.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »
I didn't say that.
I said that it would be possible to critically damage the FES by forcing daniel to close the site due to financial issues. 

I'm sure we'd work it out. Several of us have jobs, and hosting a site isn't that expensive. I'm not sure how well other aspects of the society would hold up (membership certs etc.). I don't really see where you're going with this, because what you say is true of just about any organisation.

Lorddave

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »
I didn't say that.

I'm sure we'd work it out. Several of us have jobs, and hosting a site isn't that expensive. I'm not sure how well other aspects of the society would hold up (membership certs etc.). I don't really see where you're going with this, because what you say is true of just about any organisation.

I'm just saying that your organizations seems even more fragile than the original one.  And that one got screwed when a fire destroyed it's records.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
I don't think so. When this site briefly crashed in 2008, a new site was up almost straight away, and indeed continued to exist in tandem with the original board for some time. The internet actually makes the community much more capable of surviving any potential crisis. I'd say we have a huge advantage over previous incarnations in that respect.

Lorddave

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »
I don't think so. When this site briefly crashed in 2008, a new site was up almost straight away, and indeed continued to exist in tandem with the original board for some time. The internet actually makes the community much more capable of surviving any potential crisis. I'd say we have a huge advantage over previous incarnations in that respect.

True.
Now that I think about it, I suppose you're right.  There are several free forums out there.  With your low bandwidth requirements it's easy enough to create a new forum.
The Wiki would need to be reconstructed but since most of it is based on Earth Not a Globe and various counter theories that lack any real data, it shouldn't be too difficult to rewrite.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »
No need for free invision boards or anything like that. When this place crashed back in 2008, John set up www.theflatearthsociety.net. That forum still exists, so if this place crashed tomorrow, everyone would just go over there instead. It's been largely defunct since the merge (board politics, long story), but it's always there, just in case.

By contrast, you only have to look at what happened to the original FES to see how a fragile a largely offline community would be. One fire essentially destroyed the Flat Earth Society - this forum really was a new beginning, starting from scratch. In contrast, it's hard to see this community being wrecked if something happened to the main site. Even if .net didn't exist, the dedicated members would find each other and set something up. We might lose some more casual members, but the society would survive.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
Luckily social networking has become so easy now.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
Luckily social networking has become so easy now.

Yeah, I almost forgot to mention the facebook page. It's a great resource.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
I need to get back on the ball with the flat earth social site too.

?

Gigamonsta

• Earth Shape Agnostic (ESA) - QUESTION EVERYTHING
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »

True.
Now that I think about it, I suppose you're right.  There are several free forums out there.  With your low bandwidth requirements it's easy enough to create a new forum.
The Wiki would need to be reconstructed but since most of it is based on Earth Not a Globe and various counter theories that lack any real data, it shouldn't be too difficult to rewrite.

YOU EVER READ EARTH NOT A GLOBE>!?!? HUHHD?!

In all seriousness you oughta read it! i just read it and I think that the guy who made it is very educated, unlike you.