Immigration/Border Policies (Arizona Bill)

• 390 Replies

theonlydann

• Official Member
Re: Arizona's bill on immigration.
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
Cool. I learned something.

AND I DIDNT GET CALLED A DUMBASS!  :-*

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
Thanks for proving my point dumbass.  Illegal immigrants are breaking the law by being here.  If they are involved in an additional crime then the AZ police are now allowed to ask them for proof of being here legally. 

I don't have any problem with that, and I don't think that anyone else here does, either.  The problem that I think most people have is that it allows cops to ask for proof of citizenship/legal residence with reasonable suspicion.  How can one reasonably suspect that a person is an illegal immigrant just by looking at them?

This.

Also Wardogg, I was responding to your argument earlier that the constitution only applies to citizens.  Not whether or not police can determine sombodies legal status after a lawfully arrest.  The problem here is giving the police the power to demand proof of citizenship (ie provide identification) with only a reasonable suspicion, where the 4th amendment requires a warrant before issuing a demand. Which applies to citizens and non citizens alike.

Show me in SB1070 where it says they can.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2010, 08:06:30 PM »
Section one under the provisions:  

1.      Requires a reasonable attempt to be made to determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact made by an official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or political subdivision (political subdivision) if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S.

That does not say anything about there having to be a lawfull arrest first.  It requires the law enforcement officer to attempt to determine the legal status of the person during legitimate contact.  How else would you determine that unless you were to ask for their identification?  Demanding that would first require either a lawfull arrest, or a warrant.

If reasonable suspicion exists, a warrant should be obtained to search their person.  The exception is if there is a lawfull arrest for another crime, you will get no argument from me there because that does warrant a search of their person.  The language of this law appears to bypass that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:09:19 PM by Marcus Aurelius »

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »

1.      Requires a reasonable attempt to be made to determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact made by an official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or political subdivision (political subdivision) if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S.

That does not say anything about there having to be a lawfull arrest first.  It requires the law enforcement officer to attempt to determine the legal status of the person during legitimate contact.  How else would you determine that unless you were to ask for their identification?  Demanding that would first require either a lawfull arrest, or a warrant.

If reasonable suspicion exists, a warrant should be obtained to search their person.  The exception is if there is a lawfull arrest.  The language of this law appears to bypass that.

Meh, honestly im too tired to go pouring over the document.  I will return tomorrow.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »

1.      Requires a reasonable attempt to be made to determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact made by an official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or political subdivision (political subdivision) if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S.

That does not say anything about there having to be a lawfull arrest first.  It requires the law enforcement officer to attempt to determine the legal status of the person during legitimate contact.  How else would you determine that unless you were to ask for their identification?  Demanding that would first require either a lawfull arrest, or a warrant.

If reasonable suspicion exists, a warrant should be obtained to search their person.  The exception is if there is a lawfull arrest.  The language of this law appears to bypass that.

Meh, honestly im too tired to go pouring over the document.  I will return tomorrow.

From the sound of it I presumed you already read it.  Considering you claimed that it did no such thing.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »

1.      Requires a reasonable attempt to be made to determine the immigration status of a person during any legitimate contact made by an official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or political subdivision (political subdivision) if reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the U.S.

That does not say anything about there having to be a lawfull arrest first.  It requires the law enforcement officer to attempt to determine the legal status of the person during legitimate contact.  How else would you determine that unless you were to ask for their identification?  Demanding that would first require either a lawfull arrest, or a warrant.

If reasonable suspicion exists, a warrant should be obtained to search their person.  The exception is if there is a lawfull arrest for another crime, you will get no argument from me there because that does warrant a search of their person.  The language of this law appears to bypass that.

Where did you get this quote, provide your evidence or be accused of fabricating.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
Where did you get this quote, provide your evidence or be accused of fabricating.

Seriously?
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »

From the sound of it I presumed you already read it.  Considering you claimed that it did no such thing.

I did doesnt mean i memorized it.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/summary/s.1070pshs.doc.htm

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »

I did doesnt mean i memorized it.

It was the very first part...

anyhow, I provided the link I found.  I think we need to get on the same page on what exactly I do not like about this bill.  You will get no argument from me whether or not police can search a person who has been arrested lawfully, they certainly can.  However, it is improper for the police to demand somebodies ID if they have done nothing wrong.  If they are suspicious of being an illegal, I'd like to hear what that suspicion could be other than racial profiling.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »

The date at the bottom says January, you do know the bill was revised about a week ago right?

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
My criminal law professor and constitutional law professor agree.  The whole idea of the rights laid out in the Constitution and Bill of Rights is that they are natural rights, bestowed by God on all human beings.
I agree, except for the part where God bestows the rights. The Constitution is a legal document; it bestows rights via the authority and force of law.

/2cents

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »
Breaking footage of a citizen being apprehended by police and told to "get in the back of the van":
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2010, 02:41:03 AM »

The date at the bottom says January, you do know the bill was revised about a week ago right?

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »

The amendments proposed have not been passed yet to my knowledge.  The link I provided is the current law.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »

The amendments proposed have not been passed yet to my knowledge.  The link I provided is the current law.

That's not the current law from what I heard through the grapevine.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
That is what is on the Arizona legislative website.  Do you have a more authoritative source?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2010, 01:50:43 PM »
Grapevine = his mom. 

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
Grapevine = his mom. 

No.

Grapevine = other message boards

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »

So, you readily accept what is written on other message boards, but not Arizona's legislative website? wat.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »

So, you readily accept what is written on other message boards, but not Arizona's legislative website? wat.

That page was written in January I have no way to dispute him.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
Well, Marcus posted today, so that should trump what you read on other message boards.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
Well, Marcus posted today, so that should trump what you read on other message boards.

Sorry doesn't work that way.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
You have a source from a message board more credible than Arizona's Legislature website?

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »
You have a source from a message board more credible than Arizona's Legislature website?

I didn't say that. I said, it's easy to claim something off a website without looking for a more recent version which would then ruin your point.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
This was actually an interesting discussion, or at least it was up until a few posts.  Can we all just ignore CR90 and get back to it?  I'm sick of valid debates turning into spam the moment he jumps in.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »

Then why did you try to unless you had evidence?

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:50 AM »

Then why did you try to unless you had evidence?

I think you're confusing which "him" I'm referring to.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
Do you even know which "him" you were referring to?  Marcus has provided a link to the Arizona legislature's website, you are using the info you've obtained from a message board.  I assume it's a message board filled with people who also haven't bothered to read the Arizona legislature's website. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »
I found this page with the revised legislation.  http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/043010_hb2162/  Also this page http://www.keytlaw.com/blog/2010/04/anti-illegal-immigration-law-part-1/ which might be easier to read because they have strikes through the old wording and the new wording in purple.