Time travel

• 38 Replies

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
Re: Time travel
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »
Stephen Hawking thinks that these is one good way to travel through time.... just that it involves some pretty advanced space craft, a black hole, and people who are interested in only going forwards in time.

For this to work - a fast (I MEAN REALLLLLYYYY FAST) space craft would have to make rotations around a black hole while balancing the gravitational pull of the black hole with speed. The entire purpose of this it to be next to a high concentration of mass, thereby gaining the ability to slow down time in one's local location (the spaceship) in relation to the rest of the universe (I can't explain all the science, but space and time are related -  the the higher the mass - the more distortion in time). I don't remember all the details, but it seems as though every year passed on the space ship would be two years on the outside.

Now its not true Sci-Fi time travel, but time travel is a rather vague term to use and this fits the description. Its not pratical.... it serves no real purpose..... and it only goes foward in time.... but... its time travel, and it may be the closest thing we can get to the "real" deal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:43:22 PM by Death-T »
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 02:16:59 PM »
but... its time travel, and it may be the closest thing we can get to the "real" deal.
BS, my car can travel through time.

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:56 AM »
Time treacle isn't possible. Time goes in direction and no other. It's like trying to mix chocolate fudge cake, once the beater starts you can't swap gears to reverse. You have to stop the whole thing and reset it.
When I was 5 years old my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote down "happy."
They told me I didn't understand the assignment.

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 06:15:26 AM »
Time treacle isn't possible. Time goes in direction and no other. It's like trying to mix chocolate fudge cake, once the beater starts you can't swap gears to reverse. You have to stop the whole thing and reset it.
You can make the beaters go faster though.
That would be a simulation of the fabric of space-time bending back upon itself

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible.
 Henry Ford
an vir

?

Spacehopper54321

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
I think that by travelling back in time every second you stay there changes the past, and an alternate universe must be created to allow for that change. I don't know if that would really work because if everyone started travelling in time when they returned they would return to their new universe where their changes from the past are in action and some things migth never have happened and it would all get rather confusing. Think about it, if you went back and ran over your mum, she never would've had you and you never would have gone back in time to run her over because you weren't born. But if you weren't born how did you run her over? And travelling into the future, well, I had a dream once I was talking to my reflection and do you know what I said? I said 'Today's tomorrow is only next week's past'. It took me a few days to get my head around, but it does make some sense. X

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 12:59:38 PM »
If you do not think travelling through time is theoretically possible, you are an idiot.

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
I believe time travel to be plausible & the mechanics simply beyond our current
understanding.

If time travel were to be discovered in the future that does not necessarily mean
we in the past would benefit from it or even know.

If I were to travel back in time and meet up with my self I would be altering
that timeline. Now if said timeline were altered even slightly it would
create a butterfly effect having much larger consequences.

This chaos could not be and the timeline would be forced to split
causing an exact parallel with those alterations. Therefore you would
not remember meeting yourself, your parallel would.

Time travel though I believe possible I think would be to chaotic to use
in any practical way.

?

gs is

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »
time isn't real, it is man-made
it is just the movement of energy