European Space Agency launches satellite to explore the effects of climate chang

• 67 Replies
?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
DARMSTADT, Germany (AP) — The European Space Agency launched a new high-tech satellite Thursday to measure the effects of global warming on Earth's polar ice and gather data on rising sea levels, information that could prove crucial to millions on the globe's coasts and islands.

ESA said at its European Space Operations Center in Germany Thursday it received a signal from CryoSat 2 after it took off on a Russian launcher rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, meaning lift-off was successful.

"So far, everything went fantastically," said Volker Liebig, ESA Director for Earth Observation Programs.

In 2005, ESA lost its first CryoSat when the launcher rocket failed, causing a five-year-delay of the mission, which has been eagerly awaited by glacial scientists since the late 1990s.

"If anything, this mission is even more important now than a decade ago when we first proposed it," as changes in Earth's polar ice sheets are accelerating, said Duncan Wingham of University College London, CryoSat's principal investigator.

ESA said the 700-kilogram (1,543-pound) CryoSat 2 is designed to pinpoint the effects of global warming on the Arctic and Antarctic ice, which cover about ten percent of Earth's surface and prove crucial for the Earth's climate.

"The polar regions work like the refrigerators of the climate system," German glacial scientist Heinrich Miller explained. "These areas are really the important ones for our Earth climate."

Scientists know there have been significant changes in the polar regions and recent summers have seen record lows in the extent of summer ice cover in the Arctic sea, ESA said. But too little is known about how thick the ice is.

"For the first time, we are starting a mission to measure not only the extent, but the ice thickness," Liebig said.

Using radar technology from 447 miles (720 kilometers) above Earth's surface, CryoSat 2 will measure the thickness of both land and floating ice and pinpoint changes to within 1 centimeter (0.39-inch) — impressive considering that the Antarctic ice sheet can be up to 3.1 miles (5 kilometers) thick.

For coastal cities and islands, the specifics may be a question of survival.

If all of the Earth's polar ice and glaciers were to melt, sea levels could rise up to 230 feet (70 meters), according to Miller.

If only Greenland became ice-free, it would mean a 21.33-foot (6.5-meter) rise.

Pessimists expect a sea rise by 2 to 3 meters (6.6 feet to 9.8 feet) by the year 2100, while the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in 2007 projected only some 20 to 60 centimeters (7.9 inches to 23.6 inches).

"I am sure CryoSat will yield invaluable data that will make predictions on rising sea levels much more certain," Miller said.

NO MENTION OF AN ICE WALL....hmmmm

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
FES Response - Theyz did it for da money (even though the amount needed to bribe eveyone involved would be atronomical)... its photoshoped... we'll only accept evidence presented by ourselves.... /shurg/ they're in on it!

Its all good "lulz."
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

?

Deceiver

• The grant money made me do it.
FES Response - Theyz did it for da money (even though the amount needed to bribe eveyone involved would be atronomical)... its photoshoped... we'll only accept evidence presented by ourselves.... /shurg/ they're in on it!

Its all good "lulz."

Given that most of the major energy companies have begun agreeing with climate scientists, it must be pretty sweet deal. Gimme the Euro'z!

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
The European Space Agency, like all space agencies, is part of The Conspiracy.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
Just keeps getting bigger and bigger don't it?

Death-T

The European Space Agency, like all space agencies, is part of The Conspiracy.

But why? Why not claim finacial troubles and not send up any spacecraft for the next decade (fairly possible considering the world economy)? Indeed...... why would the world's two super powers in the 1960s engage in a fake space race if it was all a ruse? The public had no particular call for space exploration before the two went at it and the result is two countries, supposedly working together to keep the fact that the Earth is flat together, wasting piles of money,men,time, and leaves to one being politically defeated. WHY? It would help for you to find an actual viable reason for the conspiracy besides "Theyz want money," when that falls flat on its face when you consider the vast amount of organizations and professions, whose operations depend on what shape the world is.

Let me guess.... they're all controlled by the same organization- imma rite?
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
If you'd just lurk moar, you wouldn't need to guess.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Death-T

Perhaps its your duty to inform? Stop hiding behind excuses.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer

Perhaps its your duty to inform?

Indeed, which is why I am informing you that should lurk moar. I consider this to be a most informative response, and should you decide to take my advice, one that will have a most beneficial effect on you during your time here (and beyond).

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall

Perhaps its your duty to inform?

Indeed, which is why I am informing you that should lurk moar. I consider this to be a most informative response, and should you decide to take my advice, one that will have a most beneficial effect on you during your time here (and beyond).

Yawn...nothing of any substance to say as usual.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
Who's climate chang? Sounds a bit like an asian version of captain planet.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Perhaps its your duty to inform? Stop hiding behind excuses.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
No its been this big for a while; I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that it includes all world goverments in the conspircy.
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
No its been this big for a while; I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that it includes all world goverments in the conspircy.

I thought the governments didn't know about it? How else do the corporations get their money?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.

I thought the governments didn't know about it? How else do the corporations get their money?
What?
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
The entire point of the conspiracy is for space programs to trick the government into funding them more money.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
Yes, and it costs less to make a fake rocket than a Real one.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Yes, and it costs less to make a fake rocket than a Real one.

If you watch a rocket get launched, then it isn't a fake rocket, is it?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
Well that rocket could be filled with nothing and just have enough to make the it go up in the air and not do anything.

Money Given to make rocket is more than what the rocket costs. The Money given that they project to the goverment is, lets say, (with very simple fake numbers) $100 They would only have to buy the nessary materials, just enough to get the shuttle out of site, which lets say is 30% of their (simplified) cost $30 and lets say to make a real looking space craft to mount on top of that rocket it would cost (In this new simpilified currency) $10. So they are given $100 and only have to spend $40 they get to keep $60. Also the $10 rocket can probally be reused, making it only an intial cost so on the next flight they can make $70.
If someone would like to project the actual amount of money they are given one could mutliply the perecents and see how much profit they are making.

The Question1

• Your logic is inferior to my logic.
Well that rocket could be filled with nothing and just have enough to make the it go up in the air and not do anything.

I think someone would see it,what i think you are suggesting is either.
A)They bring it back down,which i don't think is possible without anyone seeing.
B)It flies around,which again would probably be seen and take a shiton of fuel.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
Well they do bring them down eventually, but I do understand what your getting at.

I think what they say it costs to devolp the spacecraft technologies and create the devices costs more than a shiton of fuel.

Alternativly, If they could time it right they could keep them up for a very limited time and say the new rocket coming down was the rocket they sent several months ago, when in really its the one they just sent up yesterday(but I don't know the rockets schedules).

Another theory is that it is possible for them to land them in the ocean, and on the off chance someone sees them they either say the rocket crashed because the fuel system or something didn't work or they just kidnapp that person and keep the truth from getting out.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones

Money Given to make rocket is more than what the rocket costs. The Money given that they project to the goverment is, lets say, (with very simple fake numbers) $100 They would only have to buy the nessary materials, just enough to get the shuttle out of site, which lets say is 30% of their (simplified) cost $30 and lets say to make a real looking space craft to mount on top of that rocket it would cost (In this new simpilified currency) $10. So they are given $100 and only have to spend $40 they get to keep $60. Also the $10 rocket can probally be reused, making it only an intial cost so on the next flight they can make $70.
If someone would like to project the actual amount of money they are given one could mutliply the perecents and see how much profit they are making.

But there are hundreds, if not thousands, of commercial satellites that have been launched.  Are you suggesting that every one of those satellite launch customers have been bilked out of untold millions of dollars in satellite costs and launch fees?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
Why not? They are paid for making the satellites, then they go and build something that can transfer Info the same way.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Why not? They are paid for making the satellites, then they go and build something that can transfer Info the same way.

Ummm....  If there were another way of transferring the same information cheaper, then they wouldn't be spending obscenely large sums of money to have satellites built and launched, would they?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
They don't spend obscenely large sums of money devolping satellites, They spend small amounts of money building fake satellites, over charge for them, cook the books, send the Information cheaply, keep the conspricy going and move on with their day.

Lorddave

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "send it cheaply" part.

Just trying to sent Satellite TV cheaply is far beyond my ability to comprehend.

Also, what about all the commercial rocket launch sites?  Government Funded agencies aren't the only one who launches satellites into orbit ya know.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
Sea Launch used to allegedly launch some TV satellites but they were managed and partly owned by Boeing.  I think they no longer exist though.  Boeing is, of course, somewhat tight with a number of the powers that be.

Lorddave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_spaceflight

Interesting reading on private launches.
Apparently NASA has to use private companies when applicable (like launching satellites and stuff).  Also, private launches outnumbered Government ones.

Hmmm... The conspiracy must have gotten bigger since last time I checked.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
Why would the conpricy be limited to public launchs?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
They don't spend obscenely large sums of money devolping satellites, They spend small amounts of money building fake satellites, over charge for them, cook the books, send the Information cheaply, keep the conspricy going and move on with their day.

???  The customers often builds their own satellites and hire agencies to launch those satellites into very specific orbits (often geostationary).  Are you saying that every company that builds its own satellite is in on the conspiracy?