Things yet to be explained(Properly) by FET.

• 160 Replies
?

Deceiver

• The grant money made me do it.
Re: Things yet to be explained(Properly) by FET.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
Why the sun appears to rise and set as it does...
From the FAQ:

Q: "Please explain sunrises/sunsets."

A: It's a perspective effect. Really, the sun is just getting farther away; it looks like it's disappearing because everything gets smaller, and eventually disappears as it gets farther away.

If that was the case the sun would never get anywhere near the horizontal (it would have to be literally at the base of the disk to appear that way). It would simply slowly fade away with distance into an increasing smaller dot midway in the sky. As it stands, the dot is far too massive at all times.

?

Grieving Furnace

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 04:02:27 AM »
Reading the Wiki was only half of my instructions.

An Lurking would accomplish about as much a the wiki.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 05:37:07 AM »
This thread is stupid. Your definition of 'proper' appears to be 'enough to satisfy me'. Maybe you need to consider whether the proble is the explanation, or the person reading it.

In other words, a better title  for this thread would be 'Things yet to be understood(at all) by RE'ers'
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »
This thread is stupid. Your definition of 'proper' appears to be 'enough to satisfy me'. Maybe you need to consider whether the proble is the explanation, or the person reading it.

In other words, a better title  for this thread would be 'Things yet to be understood(at all) by RE'ers'

An even better title would be "Things that wouldn't happen if the earth was flat"
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Death-T

• Conspiracy theories are my bread and butter.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Add-On

- The frequent movements (not just the act of rising and setting) of our star.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

Catchpa

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 07:00:14 AM »

Your definition of 'evidence' appears to be 'sources and people that agree with me'.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »

Typical FEer. Doesn't want to begin to explain the flaws in FET. The list at the top Wilmore is a genuine list of things NOT explained by FET. But I guess 'ignorance is bliss' as they say.

Why the sun appears to rise and set as it does...
From the FAQ:

Q: "Please explain sunrises/sunsets."

A: It's a perspective effect. Really, the sun is just getting farther away; it looks like it's disappearing because everything gets smaller, and eventually disappears as it gets farther away.

If that was the case the sun would never get anywhere near the horizontal (it would have to be literally at the base of the disk to appear that way). It would simply slowly fade away with distance into an increasing smaller dot midway in the sky. As it stands, the dot is far too massive at all times.

The other thing is that the Sun ALWAYS appears round and of course we know that the sun doesn't get significantly smaller as it sets, so it can't be moving further away to anything like the degree that FET requires.

Death-T

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
Add-on

Explain why would private individuals that explored Antarctica not report of the ice wall. They have no reason to continue the "conspiracy" and would actually make tons of money by exposing it and bringing back pictures. What? Is every single person that visits Antarctica given a sum of money and told to be quiet? If thats the case.... I want money... I want to go to Antarctica and get free money.
" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " - Albert Einstein

" We are imperfect.  We cannot expect perfect government. "  ~William Howard Taft

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »
Add-on

Explain why would private individuals that explored Antarctica not report of the ice wall. They have no reason to continue the "conspiracy" and would actually make tons of money by exposing it and bringing back pictures. What? Is every single person that visits Antarctica given a sum of money and told to be quiet? If thats the case.... I want money... I want to go to Antarctica and get free money.

I've been to Antarctica many times....didn't get a penny and damn is it cold.

The Question1

• Your logic is inferior to my logic.
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »

In other words, a better title  for this thread would be 'Things yet to be understood(at all) by RE'ers'
Proper as in makes sense and is actually backed up.Or at the very least consistant with the FE model
Psuedolites is backed up by nothing,neither is Midnight sun.
The Suns power source is never even given.
What could power a 32 Mile wide sun for millions of years?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:51:08 PM by The Question1 »

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

It's plugged in somewhere! It is a spotlight after all.

Death-T

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Add-on

I've been to Antarctica many times....didn't get a penny and damn is it cold.

Ah, but according to the FES's usual problem with evidence - you must give me a journal of your time there, pictures, an GPS log of the GPS locator implanted in your left thigh, an account of a nurse taking a sample of your blood while there (enclose blood work and pictures - preferably with awesome thumbs-up pose), and then actually say there is indeed an ice wall for them to believe you.

Death-T

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 02:00:31 PM »

In other words, a better title  for this thread would be 'Things yet to be understood(at all) by RE'ers'
Proper as in makes sense and is actually backed up.Or at the very least consistant with the FE model
Psuedolites is backed up by nothing,neither is Midnight sun.
The Suns power source is never even given.

Well they don't believe in nuclear fusion or fision...... so..... its God? And he decides what the seasons are.. I guess? With the angle of sunlight?

Lorddave

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
And what about sunspots?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Deceiver

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 02:33:01 PM »
And what about sunspots?

Sometimes interstellar moths get caught up in the spotlight. Sunspots are what's left of the fried carcasses. True story.

Death-T

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
What about plate tectonics, the core, and magnetism?

Skeleton

• Frankly, I have better things to do with my time.
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
And what about sunspots?

Sometimes interstellar moths get caught up in the spotlight. Sunspots are what's left of the fried carcasses. True story.

I feel bad for the poor moths.
If the ultimate objective is to kill Skeleton, we should just do that next.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »
And what about sunspots?

Too funny lol.

Yeah I haven't thrown the tectonic plate science at them yet.....they haven't got past nautical mapping. How will they begin to understand plate movements and earth geology.

?

Deceiver

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »
And what about sunspots?

Too funny lol.

Yeah I haven't thrown the tectonic plate science at them yet.....they haven't got past nautical mapping. How will they begin to understand plate movements and earth geology.

At one point I was tempted to tell them that the deep roots of mountain chains, and eclogite roots on some cratons, would account nicely with the observed gravity anomalies much better than an unexplainable 'lopsided UA'. Something tells me they would call BS on that one though.

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »

At one point I was tempted to tell them that the deep roots of mountain chains, and eclogite roots on some cratons, would account nicely with the observed gravity anomalies much better than an unexplainable 'lopsided UA'. Something tells me they would call BS on that one though.

I agree (esp given the depth of some cratons), but why do any work for them? They clearly are more focused on whats above the crust than below it and will have no idea what you are talking about anyway.

?

Deceiver

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »

I agree (esp given the depth of some cratons), but why do any work for them? They clearly are more focused on whats above the crust than below it and will have no idea what you are talking about anyway.

Yeah. Personally, I think the fact that it takes longer to fly from the UK to Sydney, than from Sydney to the bottom tip of South America to be unquestionably damning to the FE cause. But at some deeper, pathetic level, attacking an argument with absolutely no rational merit manages to have some satisfaction.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:08:41 PM by Deceiver »

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
Well just look at how Wilmore's behaving is other threads. He's completely spitting the dummy on the distances thing. They have some explanation for the 'illusion' that make pilots fly where they haven't, but there is no counter-argument to what shipping does on the ground. I personally don't care what shape the planet is, but I do want accurate maps that mariners can sail by. We have them, based on the mathematics of a global earth. Why doesn't FET measure the earth for itself? That's the real question.

I've not seen any serious geological discussion yet, but ice wall thread might be getting there. You mentioned eclogites. I would just love to smash apart any theory that there is a land mass (continental shelf) under the non existent ice wall. Eclogites will come into play then.

The Question1

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »
Updated to include what exactly they need to explain.

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
As an Australian, I would like to say - The length of flights to get anywhere is rather sucky :P

Also - I will repeat a question another posted but did not get a response to. If the sun is moving farther away - why does it not get smaller ?

Heck, even the old Fundies were aware that the sun went 'around' - they didn't think it was a spotlight being turned off - or moving farther away into the distance until we can't see it. Come to think of it - I'm fairly sure it would have to move a SERIOUSLY large distance before we would have 'night'.... and if it just moves farther away from one spot on the flat space, to another spot on the same flat space, the planet would have to be alot bigger than we give it credit for.

And how big is the sun... and how bright ? Because obviously they do not believe it to be as big as current science states - nor as hot ( and obviously not fuelled by what we currently believe it is) .. ( this could EASILY be learnt - one need not to enter into NASA to use a local observatory)

I vote also - a Flat Earther should get a plane licence - and fly to the edge of the earth, take some pics of the Ice Wall, and come back - ( along with what I suggested in my own new post)

Problem solved !

* Edited for missing some words ><
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:36:06 AM by Jyoti »

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:20 AM »
In FET, gravity does not exist. That being the case, explain Pluto. Gravitational forces led to it's discovery, what with the odd orbit of Uranus.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »
In FET, gravity does not exist. That being the case, explain Pluto. Gravitational forces led to it's discovery, what with the odd orbit of Uranus.

No, it's even sillier than that. Gravity does exist everywhere else, just not on Earth.  ::)
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Lorddave

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

No, it's even sillier than that. Gravity does exist everywhere else, just not on Earth.  ::)

Yeah.  They make the reference of "A cat or dog isn't a snake" as an analogy.  To which I question since a cat, dog, and snake are based on the same elements and the rest of the universe is based on the same elements as Earth.  Thus, if they have gravity, we should have gravity.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

004forever

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »

Yeah.  They make the reference of "A cat or dog isn't a snake" as an analogy.  To which I question since a cat, dog, and snake are based on the same elements and the rest of the universe is based on the same elements as Earth.  Thus, if they have gravity, we should have gravity.

We don't take kindly to rational arguments 'round these parts.

Death-T

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:39 AM »
How can we have meteors? Doesn't UA make that kinda impossible?

The Question1

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2010, 05:29:46 PM »
Bumped for lack of disproving.