Top 10 signs that you are a true believer and Christian.

• 37 Replies

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
Top 10 signs that you are a true believer and Christian.
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
Top Ten Signs You're a Christian:

10. You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9. You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8. You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7. Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women and children!

6. You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5. You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4. You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3. While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2. You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1. You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

The only possible explanation for this is that the Earth is generally spherical in shape, otherwise, such a perpetual curvature could not exist

Wilmore is a RE'er in disguise

Re: Top 10 signs that you are a true believer and Christian.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »

10. You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9. You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

7. Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women and children!

6. You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5. You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4. You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3. While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2. You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1. You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

You're confusing Christians with the George Bush.
You also have the high ground when it comes to judging others, right?
Books don't lie...the people that write them do.

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »

You're confusing Christians with the George Bush.

I'm not judging, I'm telling it how it is.
The only possible explanation for this is that the Earth is generally spherical in shape, otherwise, such a perpetual curvature could not exist

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:04:16 PM »

In order for you to say this, you at least have to attempt to provide both sides of the story, bub.
Clearly this post was about your dislike for someone else religion.  Gee, haven't heard that one for the last couple thousand years.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »
scotsman

You got it wrong: they get outraged at the horrible things the Koran says, but when shown the atrocities of the god of the old testament, they immediately justify his actions with claims of its fitting nature in that particular context.
"So now we know. Pigs are horses. Girls are boys. War is peace." -Arundhati Roy

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »

In order for you to say this, you at least have to attempt to provide both sides of the story, bub.
Clearly this post was about your dislike for someone else religion.  Gee, haven't heard that one for the last couple thousand years.

Why should I? You're providing the other side to the story right now, bub. No need for me to talk for you.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
Why should I? You're providing the other side to the story right now, bub. No need for me to talk for you.
I'm not providing the other side of the story, I'm just pointing out your obviously biased views of Christianity.
But hey, let's continue being stereotypical, that's always the answer.

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
I'm not providing the other side of the story, I'm just pointing out your obviously biased views of Christianity.

It's not just christianity I'm being biased about. I'm against any kind of religion whatsoever. I just thought that since almost everyone here is either atheist or christian, I would use christianity as a focal point that shows the flaws of religion as a whole.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »

It's not just christianity I'm being biased about. I'm against any kind of religion whatsoever. I just thought that since almost everyone here is either atheist or christian, I would use christianity as a focal point that shows the flaws of religion as a whole.

There are flaws in lots of things in life.  But these 'observations' are not absolutely indacative of Christians.  They are just stereotypes that continue to be propagated by radical Christians and non-christians a like.
That's why I made the comment of George Bush. 

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »

There are flaws in lots of things in life.I know there are, but I decided to showcase the flaws fo religion, since this is the section for religious discussion.  But these 'observations' are not absolutely indacative of Christians.  They are just stereotypes that continue to be propagated by radical Christians And who would you say are the ones that head each religion? The non-radicals or radicals? and non-christians a like.

I know there are, but I decided to showcase the flaws fo religion, since this is the section for religious discussion.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »

There are flaws in lots of things in life.I know there are, but I decided to showcase the flaws fo religion, since this is the section for religious discussion.  But these 'observations' are not absolutely indacative of Christians.  They are just stereotypes that continue to be propagated by radical Christians And who would you say are the ones that head each religion? The non-radicals or radicals? and non-christians a like.

I know there are, but I decided to showcase the flaws fo religion, since this is the section for religious discussion.
Oh, okay.  Well then, right on.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »

I can tell you from my experience as a Catholic Kansan that even the most redneck of people in our state, which is considered one of the most backwater states in the country, don't believe in the things on that list. Of course there are fundamentalists and hyper-Protestants that roam the Great Plains preaching the Almighty's great glory, but that's by far the exception to the rule. People are still religious, and believe in God, but no one refrains from openly questioning the validity of the various church doctrines and beliefs. All of the high schools in my county and in the major counties offer World Religions courses that cover everything from Taoism to Rastafarianism. And science classes don't have biased material in favor of intelligent design or creationism, the only thing religious I've heard from a science teacher is an off-duty comment about how they didn't personally believe in the Big Bang theory.

Personally I don't find evolution or the Big Bang theory contrary to religion, and I am sure that there is a God, specifically the Christian God. I've tried before to convince myself that God didn't exist, but I knew I was lying to myself. On somewhat of a side note I believe that the existence of other intelligent life is completely possible, even plausible from a Catholic point of view.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.00

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »
scotsman

You got it wrong: they get outraged at the horrible things the Koran says, but when shown the atrocities of the god of the old testament, they immediately justify his actions with claims of its fitting nature in that particular context.

Well here's the thing. The New Testament is the book of Christ and the Old Testament is a book of the Jews. So I naturally get a bit annoyed with Christians quoting the Old Testament esp when the New Testament contradicts the reference they make.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
*shrugs* the NT still condemns most people on Earth to Hell

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 05:01:35 AM »
Early Christians believed in universal reconciliation, but the pesky Roman Catholics introduced the traditional view of hell for their own political purposes.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

No, it condemns most people on earth to earth.

Lrn2jehova'switness

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:37 PM »

For argument's sake, can you provide any proof to these claims?

"So now we know. Pigs are horses. Girls are boys. War is peace." -Arundhati Roy

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 05:08:06 PM »
For argument's sake

No

Why not.  To make such a statement as that, you should definitely know why you're making the statement.
More than likely it's gonna be "Well, everyone just knows it."
I'm not a biblical scholar or anything, I just want to know why this claim is being made.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
Early Christians believed in universal reconciliation, but the pesky Roman Catholics introduced the traditional view of hell for their own political purposes.

Actually us Catholics believe that Hell = State of being with God absent.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.00

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 01:04:42 PM »

Anyone who debates Christians definitely has the moral high ground.

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »

WOOHOO!!!! *high five*

Checkmate Christians!

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »

Any sources for that? After reading up on it at "vatican.va", the Catholic Church seems to disagree with you.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »

WOOHOO!!!! *high five*

Checkmate Christians!

Indeed.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »

Any sources for that? After reading up on it at "vatican.va", the Catholic Church seems to disagree with you.

I thought there were various forms of hell and that was the nicest of the forms of hell.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »

I thought there were various forms of hell and that was the nicest of the forms of hell.

Considering that God is absent from my life, I'm sure  could stand an eternity of Hell's nicest form. Also, I thought Hell was supposed to be a fiery pit of doom and despair, not some ill-defined metaphysical bullshit.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »

WOOHOO!!!! *high five*

Checkmate Christians!

Indeed.
An echo is not an argument.

Considering that God is absent from my life, I'm sure  could stand an eternity of Hell's nicest form.
Well right now you are living believing there is not any god, in hell you would know that to be false and regret your lesser existence.

Also, I thought Hell was supposed to be a fiery pit of doom and despair, not some ill-defined metaphysical bullshit.
What's ill-defined about eternal separation from God?

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »
Well right now you are living believing there is not any god, in hell you would know that to be false and regret your lesser existence.

Could you see how this argument would not be persuasive to someone who doesn't think that hell exists?
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
From a christian perspective God is "present" in everyone's life, even the lives of non-believers. They can't comprehend what separation from God is like because they have never been truly separated, regardless of their beliefs to the contrary.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 11:24:52 PM »
Can you please answer the question. Would your argument be unpersuasive to someone who doesn't presuppose hell to exist? Does your argument depend on hell existing before we can logically deduce anything about it?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:29:22 PM by grogberries »
Think hard. Think Flat.